tuning a 5220 holley - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine Management, Fuel, Spark, EGTs, and Air/Fuel Ratios

Engine Management, Fuel, Spark, EGTs, and Air/Fuel Ratios This forum includes general electrical, modification, tuning, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of all components mentioned above including SMEC, SBEC, Logic Modules, aftermarket engine management, etc. Nitrous oxide posts go in here. This is the place

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
tuning a 5220 holley  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1982 dodge rampage
1/4: 0.000

pistolpete is keeping the peace
i will be recieving a good used 5220 carb in the near future. how do i go about making sure i tune it to my 2.2 rampage motor. most of the vaccum lines have been removed before i got the truck. what vaccum lies are critical and where would they come out of the carb. also wher would they end up. will i need to Tee off. there is no vaccum switch at the coolant sensor, so i believe i must leave the egr capped off. am i correct there? any help would be greatly appriciated. you all have been a grest help along this journey. thanks to all!!!!!! pistolpete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 05:43 AM   #2
Re: tuning a 5220 holley  
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.570

NAJ has really helped outNAJ has really helped out
I have not seen or worked on a carburated Chrysler in YEARS so I forgot what I used to know.
These are the diagrams I was able to get.
Hope it helps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: '87 Plymouth Horizon
Engine: Turbo II Intercooled

TheCanadian007 is keeping the peace
There are two vacuum nipples on the front of the carb, one goes to the computer and the other goes to one of the two ported vacuum valves on the thermostat housing. One was used for the EGR and the other for the emissions purge valve. Not sure which one was for which, but I'll take some pics of my vacuum setup and post them up here.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
TD New Guy

thanks to both of you. i want to do it correctly........... thanks pistolpete
Old 01-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
Hybrid Booster

My setup is somewhat a mess, as I had removed the air pump (due to the fact it was seized and the catalytic converter removed) and capped off the remaining lines. Is your engine equipped with a smog pump that is actually hooked up?
Old 01-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
TD New Guy

no smog pump. i'm even debating on deleteing the canister. is there any really important ones that must be hooked up. my coolant sesor is gone. so i guess the egr is also worthless. canadian007 how do you got yours hooked up? i guess the one that goes over to the air box (brain) is the only needed one. or am i wrong there? i need no emmisions where i'm at........ thanks pistolpete
Old 01-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Hybrid Booster

There of course are the two nipples on the airbox, one is for the choke and the other is for the hot air flapper door in the airbox. These acquire vacuum source from the nipple near the choke.

There are two vacuum nipples on the front base of the carb. One goes to the spark control computer next to the battery. The other would go to the EGR / Evaporation Canister. You can just plug that port and cap off the lines for the EGR and Evap. canister.

There are two vacuum lines going to the rear passenger side of the carb. One goes to the idle stop solenoid, also known as the Anti-diesel solenoid. This should hook up from an existing line on that area of the harness. (Near the electrical plug for the carb.)

In addition to this one, the second vacuum line goes in the side of the carb. I think it goes to one of the solenoids....not sure yet. I'll grab some pics tomorrow of how mine is setup and post them. Hang tight!

Cheers, TheCanadian
Old 01-12-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
TD New Guy

the airbox doesn't concern me, ununless it's critical. the one i'm concerned about the most is the on that goes to the spark control computer and where on the carb it originates from. of the two vaccum ports on the front of the carb (towards the valve cover) which would i use for that, left or right? there is much vaccum that comes from that port just behind the choke (towards the top right edge) in front of the throttle linkage. iv'e always capped that off. i don't have that small hose that comes from exahust to airbox either. if that's nessacary i'll purchase one. the intake side of the airbox seems to stay open so i never bothered with vaccum. the only thing that puzzles me is when the vehicle is warming up from a cold start the idle increases dramatically when the coolant temp gets 155 degrees or so. when i pop the throttle it goes quickly to a normal idle. but berore the throttle increase the warm up idle is around 1300 rpm's. well enough for now....... thanks pistolpete
Old 01-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
Hybrid Booster

The choke and fast idle cam are linked, when the engine is cold, the choke is on and this rotates the fast idle cam on. Over time the fast idle cam slides down a stepper, if you will, until it kicks off altogether. Fast idle speed, curb idle speed are posted on the emission decal under the hood. Alternately, if the engine is already warm or nearly warm, you can 'kick off' the fast idle by punching the throttle hard.

Here be the answer to all your questions! I dug around underhood and found the factory 2.2 carb vacuum diagram. Here it is, cleaned up a little in photoshop. It shows which port the spark control computer attaches to, as well as which solenoid is which, along with emissions and EGR info. I also attached some pics of my vacuum setup.

The above one here goes in the passenger side of the carb casting, serves as a vacuum source for the throttle kicker solenoid.

Note that the EGR / Purge solenoid can be removed entirely and just cap off those lines at the carb and solenoid. As you can see the driver's side port at the front of the carb supplies vacuum to the EGR system and can be capped off.

The passenger side front port supplies vacuum to the spark control computer and air purge valve on the air pump which can be bypassed and go straight to the spark control computer.

The port right behind the choke housing is used as a vacuum source for the choke and should be used. As can be seen in the pictures, this line also 'T's into a line going to the air box and the heated air temp sensor, before going to the heated air flapper door. This part isn't a necessity, but it does help with fuel mileage and drive-ability.

Hope this helps and brings clarity to your setup!

Cheers, TheCanadian
Old 01-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
TD New Guy

from the information you've given it should be a breeze to hook up properly. to thecanadian007 for another great save. thanks pistolpete
Old 07-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #11
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2

john1320 is keeping the peace
Wow, you didn't miss a thing! I was about to post for help, but you answered all my questions as well. Thanks
Old 07-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
Hybrid Booster

No problem, we're here to help. Bear in mind, this is for Canadian models, I've seen others that are different; have the solenoids mounted in different places, etc. If you encounter any confusion, post a question.

Cheers, TheCanadian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.