86 TI to 88 TII SMEC Conversion - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine Management, Fuel, Spark, EGTs, and Air/Fuel Ratios

Engine Management, Fuel, Spark, EGTs, and Air/Fuel Ratios This forum includes general electrical, modification, tuning, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of all components mentioned above including SMEC, SBEC, Logic Modules, aftermarket engine management, etc. Nitrous oxide posts go in here. This is the place

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
86 TI to 88 TII SMEC Conversion  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 86 Dodge Shelby
1/4: 0.000

sabutter is keeping the peace
I am working on changing over my 86 Dodge Shelby Charger wiring harness to the newer SMEC harness from a 88 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z. I have already dropped the engine and trans from the Z into the Charger now I just need help with the electrical part of the swap. I have already read several articles on how to add the SMEC to the existing Shelby Charger wiring harness but this is not an option for me my old wiring harness is shot. I have most of the old charger wiring harness and two complete Shelby Z wiring harnesses to work with. I was thinking of splicing the 50 pin bulkhead connector of the Z and mating it with the old 40 pin of the charger.

If anyone has done this type of swap I could use some help with the pins I need and where they go.

Last edited by sabutter; 12-04-2010 at 12:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
Re: 86 TI to 88 TII SMEC Conversion  
TD New Guy

86 Dodge Shelby TI wiring harness

Bulkhead connector

88 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z Wiring harness

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
Dr Doom

My Ride: RUSTY DODGES &FORDS
Engine: 86 T1
Induct: Turbo

Dr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars runningDr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars running
the brake light switch plug moved to the engine side of conector in 88 so those wires can be discounted as they will be on the 86 dash harness

discount the headlamp motor wires and you should be close to 40 on the 88 conector

just thinking of what you don't need - haven't done this challenge this way myself
Old 12-04-2010, 01:31 AM   #4
TD New Guy

That is why i was seeing the wires for the brake switch on the engine side of the bulkhead on the Z.
Thanks

Ten years ago i had this all planed out but i have forgotten nearly everything its almost like learning everything all over again.

I think i have the pins in the right spot so far

Revised 12-4-10

pins 37, 38, 11 i need to look at the harness to be 100% sure of there placement.

Last edited by sabutter; 12-04-2010 at 05:01 PM..
Old 12-04-2010, 01:57 AM   #5
Dr Doom

Dr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars runningDr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars running
hard for me to read lists - need glasses

pain is they fliped bulkhead conectors so now you have two sets of same pins

some one might know where to get them

I was going to try this years ago and thought taking the other conectors and splicing them together back to back so as to make adapter section that pluged into the 88 & 86 conectors would be easier , tryed and found that ya need more than 6 -8 inches of wire between them so you can bend it and fit it under dash

check quick links - new posts -there was a thread last night asking for bulk picts same as you posted , end of thread guy asked if there was anything posted about same job you want to do

If you don't have the time or the money to do it right the first time , How the hell are you gonna get it right the second time ?
EH
Old 12-04-2010, 04:50 AM   #6
TD New Guy

I was planing on cutting the stock bulkhead engine side connector and then the same for the Z then splicing them together "solder then heat shrink". I would end up with a Shelby Z EMEC harness with a 86 Charger bulkhead connector i am fairly sure it can be done.

Thanks for the info i will look into it.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: Ram HFE/Omni/SL/XR7
Engine: 2.5 TII, SMEC, .60/.63, 2-piece, 52mm, no B/S ;)
1/4: 13.800

detobias is keeping our cars running
I cut&tossed both bulkhead connectors then 'soldered & shrink tubed' the wires directly

there's really not that many,
especially if you are eliminating unneeded circuits at the same time.

seemed easier than trying to remove /re-insert the connector pins,
plus I eliminated that connector
Old 12-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
Dr Doom

and to add to Detobias' post , the bulkhead gromit on the 88 wireing fits a hole the same size as 50 way conector if you measure conector diagonally

- easy to test that info with piece of poster board , which will leave you with template to mod firewall for pro finish

also , the 84 ish K cars had a firewall that was punched for the LM wireing but had a gromit if carbed to fill hole
Old 12-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by detobias View Post
I cut&tossed both bulkhead connectors then 'soldered & shrink tubed' the wires directly

there's really not that many,
especially if you are eliminating unneeded circuits at the same time.

seemed easier than trying to remove /re-insert the connector pins,
plus I eliminated that connector
That would work but most of the pins on the Z bulkhead connector are physically smaller than the pins on the charger.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
Dr Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabutter View Post
That would work but most of the pins on the Z bulkhead connector are physically smaller than the pins on the charger.
if you ment with ref to my post , I ment to say leave the gromit on and then the splices are protected under dash
Old 12-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #11
TD New Guy

After many hours of looking over the wiring on the Z and Charger i am going with this pin out. I will need to add the break signal wire from the SMEC on the Z harness to pin 11 on the charger bulkhead other than that thats all i can see.

I will work on the harness this week and post the results.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #12
TD New Guy

Finally got to start on it here is a few pix.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:15 PM   #13
TD New Guy

My Ride: 86' GLHS #246

G Man is keeping the peace
sabutter, did this exact conversion myself on my 86'glhs, I refused to spend the $460 on the S60 wiring harness that was aval back in the mid 90's. I basically took the wiring diagrams of the 40 pin of the 86' and the wiring diagram of an 89' (89' turbo lebaron was the donor).

I basically laid the entire 40 pin harness (inside part) on the floor with the 40 pin and 50 pin harness from the engine bay side. I stared at it for awhile and convinced myself that with a good soldering iron, wireloom, wire ties, I was gonna make it work. Take the simple stuff first, like headlights, windshield washer motor, fuel injectors, TB, temp sensors and so on. You'll be perplexed as you stare at the ignition wires, like the large blue, yellow, and red, but these are the only ones that become a challenge. Just match them up going through the conversion of getting everything from the 50 pin donor to the old 40 pin plug. You'll find yourself doing a lot of splicing because of the different end plugs on some things, and you'll eliminate wires you won't use like cruise control. When you start, don't cut everything off the 40 and the 50 from the jump, take each wire at a time, be patient and it'll work for you, solder, don't use crimps. As I remember it took me awhile, but I put this back in less A/C with the 88' style S60 SMEC, it worked. I had one issue with power going to my extenal Bosch fuel pump, so I ended up bypassing the stock wiring for it. Other than that issue it worked for me. Take a look at the pin outs on the 60 pin SMEC, it'll help and assist, and also, it can get confusing looking at the wiring diagrams for the 40 and 50 pin harness. Not including the SMEC, there's 4 to look at, 2 on the engine bay side and 2 on the cockpit side. Keep the 50 pin diagram in the cockpit out the picture, just my experience. When you start getting a road block, ping me, and I'll assist in any way I can. Gordon
Old 02-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
TD New Guy

Its been some time but I finally got around to finishing the Turbo II conversion and it runs. Other than adding a ground wire to the wiring harness for the lights it wasn't bad

86 Dodge Shelby Charger 2.2 Turbo II Conversion first start - YouTube
Old 02-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #15
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: CSX/Omni/Shel-Dak
Engine: 5.2 & 2.2 turbo

dragbaron is keeping the peace
Hear ya go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.