88 Omni, Running issues, Need some advice. - Page 3 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine Management, Fuel, Spark, EGTs, and Air/Fuel Ratios

Engine Management, Fuel, Spark, EGTs, and Air/Fuel Ratios This forum includes general electrical, modification, tuning, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of all components mentioned above including SMEC, SBEC, Logic Modules, aftermarket engine management, etc. Nitrous oxide posts go in here. This is the place

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #31
Re: 88 Omni, Running issues, Need some advice.  
TD New Guy

Induct: N/A
1/4: 0.000

LinzWelch is keeping the peace
Yeah- that's what I thought too, but I don't want to go beyond 10 & 14 if it should be at 12 BTDC. I moved it around some, where its at is where it ran best- just slightly after 12.

As far at the map- I have no idea. I checked it and checked it and even took some video for my reference, may go out and re check it today to make sure i didn't do it wrong. Where I hooked the gauge to is ok? Yes- I teed into both lines- left the tee in there, capped.

Yes, the hvac is still going to defrost of its own accord. Completely disappears from the dash vents with the highest fan speed. - what other vacuum are there beside the ones on the emission diagram and the two off the fire wall for hvac?
EDIT: I forgot to add, that gaining that vacuum with the cts unplugged made no improvement in the vent/defrost problem either.

The distributor is turned slightly toward the drivers side in a parallel orientation- it is set at just over 12 BTDC.

Last edited by LinzWelch; 02-26-2013 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Hvac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #32
TD New Guy

I gave up and dropped it at a shop with a dyno that came highly recommended by the dodge guys at Oriellys. We shall see, will update when/if they find anything.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #33
TD New Guy

And... That was pointless! Ok then, no more shops! I will be attempting to reset the cam timing by a tooth or two as soon as its warm again! Arg, Florida winter!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #34
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.570

NAJ has really helped outNAJ has really helped out
Did you actually verify that it was off???
Old 03-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #35
TD New Guy

Like I said- the first time I tried it, it didn't look off- the second time it kinda did- like a hair- seriously. Not trusting my judgement, and not having anyone around here physically that can help (and being I just came back from shop number 4 that wants to charge me for nothing or not even bother)- I don't know what else to do to eleminate that as a problem except to move it forward by that tooth or two and see if it runs better then. My timing cover is cracked- I'm not sure if I'm having issues using the method you posted because of that. I have a new one to put on, but I can't get it to actually go on without- I think? losening the bottom cover first, in which case, I'd already be halfway there. I suppose then, I'd have the opportunity to inspect the components some too.

on my other post, someone said you would just come to TDC, losen it up via the tensioner rotate the cam by hand, and put the belt back on, retighten. So I though I could mark the belt and cam in relation to eachother with chalk, and try that. ??

Last edited by LinzWelch; 03-02-2013 at 04:07 PM..
Old 03-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #36
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.570

NAJ has really helped outNAJ has really helped out
As long as the belt does not move and you can keep tension on it so it does not you will be fine.
When my front cam seal went(blew out right in front of my apartment) I slid the belt off the Cam sproket and kept the belt tensioned and hung it with a bungy cord, removed the sprocket, replaced the seal, reinstalled the sprocket, forced the belt back on and was done.
Did all of this in 45 minutes(including 20 minutes to walk to Advance)without loosening the belt tensioner.

I also got tired of fighting with getting the Cam "Exact" everytime I had to remove the belt for something so I invested in an adjustable cam sproket so if i am a half tooth off it is an easy correction.

35 Years ASE Certified
Old 03-04-2013, 02:52 AM   #37
TD New Guy

Haha- funny you say that! The plymouth horizon I had- oh- 15 years ago maybe, my first car at 18- I drove to Colorado and back in it, on the way back- it was check the gas, fill up the oil. Turned out it was the cam seal and the valve cover gasket. I didn't know :) a friends bother helped me fix it, I remember him doing the same thing, now your mention it. Course- I didn't even know that was timing belt then :-D

Adjustable cam sprocket?! How brilliant is that? Ok... I know what my first upgrade will be.

Alright. So I guess this weekend of the following I'm going to try to do this myself- , anything else I need to know that isn't in the Hanes or Chilton? :) I'll get a picture up of where it's at now- say tomorrow, if that might help?

Any other ways to check the injector? And the defrost problem- are there other lines I could check beside what's on the hood vacuum diagram? Not sure where else to go from here...

Last edited by LinzWelch; 03-04-2013 at 05:05 AM..
Old 03-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #38
Boostaholic

wallace is keeping the peace
If you have the vent control problem and you are sure that the vacuum line is connected in the engine bay the source of some of your vacuum issue could be inside the vehicle going to the vent control.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #39
TD New Guy

My Ride: 86 GLHS #425

topper is keeping the peace
LinzWelch may not still frequent the site cause she no longer owns the car. I revive this post, as I now own the car and it resides in MI. I did not purchase directly from LinzWelch, a gentleman from Chicago area bought it and drove it for 2 months before I bought it. Although the guy I bought it from was by no means forthcoming in the "issues" the car had, he claimed to be selling the car because he needed cash to buy a home. I assume it was more because he could not figure out the "Gremlin" in its system. I was aware of them through this site's (threads) and LinzWelch's youtube postings (search 1988 dodge omni) as I happened to stumble across this thread when I was pursuing the car through ebay.

So, here we go. Considering everything LinzWelch did to fix the issues, it now sits in my drive and they are still there... for curiosity sake I'll keep you informed.

Thanks for all the aforementioned input to LinzWelch,
Topper
Old 06-24-2013, 03:25 AM   #40
TD New Guy

Hi there, Topper!

I see you have the Omni now. For better or worse :) I wish you luck with it. I'm sorry to hear he wasn't forthcoming with you. I sure was with him- he talked me pretty low on the price in addition I repaired a few further things for him. He really really had wanted it, didnt even want to test drive it before paying. He even insisted on driving it to IL... I said I didn't think that was the best idea, but, whatever I guess.

I'd be interested to know what the problem ends up being. Myself- I just reached a boiling point with it. It wasn't even the car, but some sort of wierd cosmic bad luck with me AND the car together. From being treated absolutely horrendously at any shop I went to... I burned bridges at at least 4 shops I'd been frequenting for a few years. I don't know what it was- something about that car begged people to try to rip me off or shrug me off. That last shop, I took it in for a dyno and they wanted to do engine work that wasn't required.

ANYWAY... I don't think I have a copy of the eBay auction that went with the sale to him, but it was about 4 pages long with about 40 pictures (I still have the pictures). Obviously I'm by no means a mechanic, but if I can help resolve anything with the car, I will try- just let me know. I hope he gave you the huge pack of reciepts for parts? If not, and you have issues, I should be able to confere with O'riellys for you.

I had tracked down the two previous owners on here as well, but not too much info to help.

As I sold it I had done:

Radiator and hoses
T-stat
CTS
IAC
TPS
left front hub assy.
All new vac lines under the hood with check valves
Fuel filter
Plugs
Wires
Cap
Rotor
HEP
Left cv assy.
Both front tie rods
New rod for actuating the brights
Bought but didn't install new timing cover
New lift struts in back
New interior lighting bulbs
... And that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

I ended up buying a 2009 ford focus ... Hate to say it, but I think the omni turned me off older cars all together :)

So, just wanted to say hi and that I was still getting the emails from this post. Good luck with it, and let me know if I can help with its history or what not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.