"Direct Fire" ignition on a 1987 GLHS 2.2 TII? - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine Management, Fuel, Spark, EGTs, and Air/Fuel Ratios

Engine Management, Fuel, Spark, EGTs, and Air/Fuel Ratios This forum includes general electrical, modification, tuning, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of all components mentioned above including SMEC, SBEC, Logic Modules, aftermarket engine management, etc. Nitrous oxide posts go in here. This is the place

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #16
Re: "Direct Fire" ignition on a 1987 GLHS 2.2 TII?  
AKA: knownenemy

My Ride: 1987 GLHS #0896
Engine: 2.2 8 valve
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 11.000

signsoflife22 is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TurboTona View Post
Interesting
VERY-VERY interesting.
I had to look deeper to see just how possible it was.
And, it's relatively "easy".
A "Direct Fire" ignition system(which is infinitely more efficient than our basic fire systems) isn't all that difficult to get and install.
The benefits include TOTAL control over the Fuel delivery system as well as the ignition system's parameters.
It's an EASY decision for me; DIRECT FIRE ignition and possibly a "Megasquirt" system for fuel delivery.

Once again, THANK YOU to everyone who has posted links and tips here. You're all GREAT TDers in my book!

Keep the suggestions coming!
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #17
Super Pope

1/4: 0.000

The Pope has really helped outThe Pope has really helped out
Yeah you read on enough on it and you want COP with all your cars lol.

Not a fan of the wasted spark direction though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #18
Una
Permanently banned

My Ride: '84 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.5L

Una is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better place
Quote:
Originally Posted by detobias View Post
yes MS has the functionality.. but

seems like it shouldnt be too hard to wire/program up a circuit to:
1. listen (passively) to both Turbo HEP output signals
&/or
2. listen to crank position sensor output
then
3. drive a dual coil pack (wasted spark), or 4 coil-on-plug modules

could this be done with e.g. an Arduino??
People who have the programming skill to do this level of programming don't program Arduino's. People who program Arduino's don't have this level of programming skills.. ;) It's a chicken and the egg problem.
The Arduino language is great for simple things. Like you could make a great body control module with one. But something like precise engine timing, you need to get much lower level, which the Arduino language insulates you from.

$2k to install EFI.. haha.. Man, I don't charge enough.. I've done a half dozen cars for $400 a pop..
Old 02-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #19
Dr Doom

My Ride: RUSTY DODGES &FORDS
Engine: 86 T1

Dr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars runningDr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pope View Post
Yeah you read on enough on it and you want COP with all your cars lol.

Not a fan of the wasted spark direction though.
giggle ... you don't own a frickin ford - that I can tell right now

I drove a 95 mecurey from 2000 - 2011 - all I ever had to do was a battery , alternator and weld a joint in the exhaust

my 01 f150 uses a little more than 1 coil on plug coils every year .. IF I could convert it back to the coil packs the merc's 4.6 had I'd do it in a heartbeat
Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #20
“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

My Ride: 1985 Daytona
Engine: 2.2l

DetroitTurbo is keeping the peace
Working at advance auto, I sell handfuls of coils to triton owners every week, not to mention the spark plugs they blow out of the heads...
Old 02-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #21
Una
Permanently banned

Una is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better place
Volkswagen COP coilpacks are also notorious for failure. Cool thing there is, they're dirt cheap from the dealer..
Old 02-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #22
Super Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Una View Post
People who have the programming skill to do this level of programming don't program Arduino's. People who program Arduino's don't have this level of programming skills.. ;) It's a chicken and the egg problem.
The Arduino language is great for simple things. Like you could make a great body control module with one. But something like precise engine timing, you need to get much lower level, which the Arduino language insulates you from.

$2k to install EFI.. haha.. Man, I don't charge enough.. I've done a half dozen cars for $400 a pop..
I wonder looking at yours with the Neon coil whether or not I can use the dist in a V8 for COP. Or do I have to have a Magnum trans sensor to get the #1 signal? Can a dist be modded for that?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #23
Una
Permanently banned

DIYAutotune sells 36-1 trigger wheels in various sizes, as well as known good new sensors to read the wheels. Just go that route. That'll get you the crank position. That'll be good enough for wasted spark/batch injection. If you want sequential injection, then you just need a 1 tooth trigger from the distributor to indicate phase.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #24
Super Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Una View Post
DIYAutotune sells 36-1 trigger wheels in various sizes, as well as known good new sensors to read the wheels. Just go that route. That'll get you the crank position. That'll be good enough for wasted spark/batch injection. If you want sequential injection, then you just need a 1 tooth trigger from the distributor to indicate phase.
running 2 TBI's, so 4 injectors batch fire, and would like coil on plug for ignition.

Thinking about adding the knotch to the trans and adding the sensor in the bell housing, then run the dist?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #25
AKA: knownenemy

My Ride: 1987 GLHS #0896
Engine: 2.2 8 valve
1/4: 11.000

signsoflife22 is keeping our cars running
Thank you very much to all of the Turbo Dodge members as well as some of its advisers for all of the input and suggestions.

EVERY step of the way through the build of my GLHS#0896, I will be here to run ALL of my ideas past you guys!
I have complete confidence in your abilities and trust your experience thoroughly.

Since posting this thread, I have learned a lot about the "Direct Fire" possibilities for the 2.2 TII and, have check out all of the links I've been provided. I am convinced that a "Direct Fire" system is the way to go and, I will definitely be implementing it when I get to the engine build part of the GLHS.

Thank you.
Sincerely,
Donnie
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.