Turbo Dodge Forums banner

tune help

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  NAJ 
#1 ·
I have an 86 omni glh t2 with a 20g turbo, .480 lift .460 duration cam, swirl head with exhaust porting, 1 piece intake , fwd performance chipped ecu, and stock injectors.
I am new to the turbo dodge world. I was told that car is close to a super 60 setup and a super 60 tune would work. I have no idea what chip is in my ecu . My question is what is my best options for a tune because as of now car won't idle and doesn't run very well at all.

#4 ·
Is a wideband installed?

Best option would be tuning it yourself.

Covert to 87 TII wiring first.

Then

MPTuner

Bin files you'll need.
Turbonator LM codebase

You'll need to get a 87 LM socketed, get a chip extender cable, and a ortisch for real time tuning. You'll also need a wideband sensor installed.

https://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-the-new-breed-p-169.html?cPath=95

https://www.moates.net/emuc2818-emulation-cable-28pin-18inch-p-64.html
or
https://www.moates.net/emuc2806-emulation-cable-28pin-6inch-p-133.html

and

http://www.boostbutton.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34_36&products_id=71

#8 ·
What is your Wideband reading?
What is Engine Vacuum reading at a Manifold Source and at the Map Sensor?

I am only asking because your symptoms sound exactly like the symptoms a friend of mine had after he replaced the Cam in his car with a Larger Lift/Duration Cam.
His car was completely different from yours(73 Mustang 351) but same symptoms, car would not idle, had to keep RPM's up just to keep the car running.

#11 · (Edited)
You say A/F is 8 to 1 at wide open? That would be pig rich. This is the 1st 20g I'd heard of on a dodge 8v platform, but will do the job just fine. Neat to hear something different now and then. NAJ is right, a tune, lower base FP, and I would ditch the cam. It is not a cam that will last more than 15-20k miles, unless it's one of Simon's new roller grinds. Swapping in a standard turbo or tbi cam will make tracking symptoms and tuning go smoother, while allowing you to set and confirm solid cam timing. Two for one. Do you have an adjustable FPR?

#10 ·
Engine Vacuum @ 7-8" HG is Bad.
Normal Engine Vacuum should be 15-20" HG.
Low Engine Vacuum will be caused by...
1)Large Vacuum Leak
2)Cam Timing
3)Engine Mechanical
or
Too Much Cam and Valve Overlap
Stock Slider Cam on an 85-87 is .430 Lift with 240/240 Duration.
88 Roller is .430 Lift with 236/232 Duration
89 Up Roller is .430 Lift with 228/228 Duration.

#12 ·
No fpr entire fuel system is stock still , we'll now it died won't restart and I'm seeing metal flakes in the oil seems like it's time to pull the motor and find out what happened .
Any advice on a good cam I'm wanting to be in the 400 he range when all is said and done

#14 ·
Help NOW=Have 1985 Charger Shelby external fuel pump leaking gas.Can I remove unit and repair seal area-looks to be leaking close to front or do I have to replace. Factory manual doesn't address problem and can you disassemble pump and make seal? Need reply now. Also car has 126K and I just got it but dual outlet tips are real black. Where do I start in correcting. will remove and read plugs. Car runs good and idles 1000/1200. Previous owner says he did tuneup. I have made a fuel list from Rock Auto since I repair and work on cars. Been studying Turbo and factory service manuals, ON page 14-90;They show Shelby pump setup. Plan on 3000 mile trip in June with Hot Rod Power Tour group in this car with wife.:bang head

#15 ·
Before doing anything you need to correct the fuel leak issue.

From what I have read most people do away with the external pump and upgrade the in-tank pump(Walbro 190???)
The only problem I have heard about is fuel pressure surges if you do not install an inline fuel pressure dampener which right now is part of you external pump.

Somebody that owns one of these cars will have to chime in to give you complete details.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.