Removing torque converter bolts ? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Transmission, Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels

Transmission, Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels This Dodge forum includes modification, tuning, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of manual and automatic transaxles, shifters, torque converters, flexplates, flywheels, ring gears, axles, and differentials including open, friction, and Q. This forum also includes modification, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of the above parts and how to tune them for better traction and handling. Also includes wheel bearings and hubs, wheel studs and nuts, wheel spacers, and other related items. Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
Removing torque converter bolts ?  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1992 shadow es
1/4: 0.000

racecarr is keeping the peace
It is a 1992 dodge shadow and I am getting ready to pull the A413 tranny out do to the fact the clutches are fried. Got to the point where I need to get the torque converter bolts out and was wondering what is the best way to do this and keep the flexplate secured in one spot long enough to break the bolt loose without it moving around on me. Thought about putting a breaker bar on the crank pulley nut but when I looked I noticed that crank pulley is secured with 4 or 5 small bolts and not a nut. What is the best way to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
Re: Removing torque converter bolts ?  
Naturally Aspirated

allmotor is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by racecarr View Post
It is a 1992 dodge shadow and I am getting ready to pull the A413 tranny out do to the fact the clutches are fried. Got to the point where I need to get the torque converter bolts out and was wondering what is the best way to do this and keep the flexplate secured in one spot long enough to break the bolt loose without it moving around on me. Thought about putting a breaker bar on the crank pulley nut but when I looked I noticed that crank pulley is secured with 4 or 5 small bolts and not a nut. What is the best way to do this?
theres one bigger bolt in the middle of the crank pulley and 5 smaller bolts.

I just use an 18mm wrench on the torque converter bolts and hit it with my hand to break loose.. really no biggie to do this. you could wedge a flat blade screwdriver between the ring gear and the block that works good to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 01:06 AM   #3
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 2.4 Turbo Spirit
Engine: 2.4 DOHC
Induct: Turbo

speeduphoria is keeping the peace
yeah I would use a ratchet/breaker bar on it and hit with a hammer

like said above theres a large(18/19mm) bolt in the center of the pulley its attached to the crank nose
Old 03-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
RIP

My Ride: 93 Daytona Iroc R/T
Engine: 2.2l TIII
Induct: Turbo

Blue Iroc R/T is keeping the peace
Word of caution; Once you remove the torque converter bolts and the Flex plate to crank bolts; Keep the SEPERATE. They have the same threads and are about the same length. However, IF you look close at the head, you will notice that the Flex Plate to Crank Bolts have a THICKER head than the Torque Converter to Flex Plate Bolts.
IF you Re-install them with, even ONE bolt swapped, The thicker head bolt that gets installed in the flex plate to torque converter WILL hit the Tin Inspection Shield. When you hit the starter to fire it up the first time, You will think the whole engine is comming apart. It is so LOUD, that it will scare you enough, that you will warn other people about it.
Very easy to mix them up, if you don't know to watch for it.

1993 Daytona Iroc R/T (1 of 8)
2002 Dakota 4x4 Quad Cab Sport
www.pbase.com/rmscott
Old 03-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1992 shadow es

racecarr is keeping the peace
Thanks guys!! I am going to get the trans out saturday come hell or high water. This is my winter car and I am sick of driving my 2001 TransAm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.