3.3 Intrepid 3.5 Intrepid Same Transmissions? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Transmission, Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels

Transmission, Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels This Dodge forum includes modification, tuning, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of manual and automatic transaxles, shifters, torque converters, flexplates, flywheels, ring gears, axles, and differentials including open, friction, and Q. This forum also includes modification, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of the above parts and how to tune them for better traction and handling. Also includes wheel bearings and hubs, wheel studs and nuts, wheel spacers, and other related items. Sponsored by Discount Tire

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
3.3 Intrepid 3.5 Intrepid Same Transmissions?  
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

Spirit_DOHC is keeping the peace
I have a 1996 Intrepid with a 3.3 and am wondering if the transmission from a 3.5 will have the same bolt pattern. I have a bad trans in my Intrepid with the 3.3, it is stuck in limp mode. (bought it this way) Previous owner said he changed the filter and fluid. I have not checked pressures or any sensors. I assume it is a worn out tranny (160k) I think its possible that it would be the solenoid pack or bad sensors but I would rather go with the very cheap transmission swap. Any help here would be very appreciated. And yes, it is full of fluid.
Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
Re: 3.3 Intrepid 3.5 Intrepid Same Transmissions?  
Naturally Aspirated

22dodge is traveling down a dark road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_DOHC View Post
I have a 1996 Intrepid with a 3.3 and am wondering if the transmission from a 3.5 will have the same bolt pattern. I have a bad trans in my Intrepid with the 3.3, it is stuck in limp mode. (bought it this way) Previous owner said he changed the filter and fluid. I have not checked pressures or any sensors. I assume it is a worn out tranny (160k) I think its possible that it would be the solenoid pack or bad sensors but I would rather go with the very cheap transmission swap. Any help here would be very appreciated. And yes, it is full of fluid.
they are EXACTLY the same. infact you can even use a 2.7 or 3.2 trans if you so desire. However a transmission stuck in limp mode is not always a failed transmission. a trans that doesn't move or slips really bad is.

Have you ever swapped one of these transmissions? if you don't have a hoist, you definitely want to put a scanner on it and see if you can fix the one already in the car
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
TD New Guy

I have not ever worked on one of these rear drive type setup style front wheel drive chryslers yet. I just recently pulled the 41te out of my avenger and rebuilt that, was fun getting it in and out (very tight fit). I am thinking about trying to drop the pan and possible remove the valve body and get to the solenoid pack and swap it out. I was planning on taking the front clip off of the car and pulling everything straight out the front otherwise. I have a 3.5 intrepid engine and trans at my disposal for cheap. I know a guy who has that sitting in a field from a parted out car. Thats why I was thinking of going that route. I also know a guy with a 2000 intrepid that had I think the 3.2 with 68000 miles only that I can buy the transmission from (car is smashed but runs and drives great). Not sure what to do here. Would you suggest trying the solenoid pack. I would assume there is nothing to the valve body like the a604 due to the solenoid pack doing most of the work there.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
Naturally Aspirated

Quote:
I have not ever worked on one of these rear drive type setup style front wheel drive chryslers yet. I just recently pulled the 41te out of my avenger and rebuilt that, was fun getting it in and out (very tight fit). I am thinking about trying to drop the pan and possible remove the valve body and get to the solenoid pack and swap it out. I was planning on taking the front clip off of the car and pulling everything straight out the front otherwise. I have a 3.5 intrepid engine and trans at my disposal for cheap. I know a guy who has that sitting in a field from a parted out car. Thats why I was thinking of going that route. I also know a guy with a 2000 intrepid that had I think the 3.2 with 68000 miles only that I can buy the transmission from (car is smashed but runs and drives great). Not sure what to do here. Would you suggest trying the solenoid pack. I would assume there is nothing to the valve body like the a604 due to the solenoid pack doing most of the work there.
I don't like any of your reply. I wouldn't drop the pan and change the valve body or solenoid until I knew for a fact that was the problem. pulling the front end and pulling everthing out the front is the hardest way to do that job. Glad to hear you had fun pulling the trans on your avenger. that car SUCKS to work on. the 2.5 is such a PITA to do anything with. just wait until the distributor craps out and cost over $400.

BTW, I went to my trans core pile and looked at a 42LE from a 2001 intrepid. it has a different connector for the MVLP switch and one hole in the bellhousing in a different position. So if you use the newer trans, you'll either need an adapter cable (available from many trans parts suppliers) or cut the harness on the donor car and splice into your harness. then for the one bolt hole, just need to drill a new hole about 1" away or leave out that one bolt
Old 05-14-2008, 01:13 AM   #5
Boostaholic

My Ride: 86 SC, 00 focus dd
Engine: 2.2 TI
Induct: Turbo

Sittn86 is keeping the peace
The most common reason for limp mode in those transmissions is a failed input or output speed sensor. A VERY cheap & easy fix. Swap trannies for a bad sensor? Well, my radiator cap leaks, so I'll just get a new car.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
TD New Guy

I never said I was going to swap it before I did any testing. I was just weighing out my options here and getting some opinions. Does anyone know if the input and output sensors from an a604 would be the same. I have known good sensors for one of those in a working car I could easily swap in and try. You can take your smart ass answer and keep it to yourself, I am not an idiot and would not do such a thing.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
Boostaholic

My Ride: 1992 Daytona R/T
Engine: 2.2 TIII

gkcooper is keeping the peace
+1 on either speed sensor
Old 05-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
Naturally Aspirated

Quote:
I never said I was going to swap it before I did any testing. I was just weighing out my options here and getting some opinions. Does anyone know if the input and output sensors from an a604 would be the same. I have known good sensors for one of those in a working car I could easily swap in and try. You can take your smart ass answer and keep it to yourself, I am not an idiot and would not do such a thing.
Yes you did, your first post was all about swaping transmissions in which I said you need to put a scanner on it. You may not be an idiot, however your posts demonstrate a mechanical ineptness. These are segments from some of your replies.

I have a 1996 Intrepid with a 3.3 and am wondering if the transmission from a 3.5 will have the same bolt pattern

I have a bad trans in my Intrepid with the 3.3, it is stuck in limp mode. (bought it this way)

but I would rather go with the very cheap transmission swap

I am thinking about trying to drop the pan and possible remove the valve body and get to the solenoid pack and swap it out.

the statements you're making demonstrat very little knowledge. your replies to me also showed that you were not comprehending what was being said. Without a scanner looking at trans data, you are not problem solving. your statement about swaping solenoid packs shows that you did not want to take my advise about putting on a scanner. Everything you've said in your posts is all about 'swaping this and swapping that'. you really don't seem to want to diagnose the problem, just want to keep throwing parts at it hoping to fix it. Wouldn't it be just a hoot to go thru all the changing parts, then replacing the transmission and having the same problem. hell it could be something as simple as a bad TCM relay, blown fuse, bad TCM.

Here's a partial list of things you could feel free to swap in hopes of solving the trans issue:

Entire transmission
output speed sensor (BTW 606 and 604 exact same part)
input speed sensor (BTW 606 and 604 exact same part)
PRNDL switch
Valve body
Solenoid pack
wire harness
TCM
TCM fuse
TCM relay
CCD bus line
and much much more.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1990 Shadow ES
Engine: 2.5LTurbo II

Spee-D-Shadow is keeping the peace
Wow he's never worked on any of the LH cars transmissions? Definatly diag the LIMP mode issue first, swaping should be a last ditch effort!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #10
Naturally Aspirated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spee-D-Shadow View Post
Wow he's never worked on any of the LH cars transmissions? Definatly diag the LIMP mode issue first, swaping should be a last ditch effort!
that's exactly what I said in the first reply and I get back about dropping the valve body and changing the soleniod pack.

he stated he's worked on a 41te thats the exact same TCM and diagnosic programing. maybe his avenger that he just changed the trans in only needed an electric repair... wouldn't that be a kick in the pants.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
Boostaholic

Quote:
I assume it is a worn out tranny (160k) I think its possible that it would be the solenoid pack or bad sensors but I would rather go with the very cheap transmission swap. Any help here would be very appreciated.
It sounds like you were going to do such a dumb thing. I was offering help, while adding a joke. Maybe from now on, you should include in all your threads that you don't have a sense of humor. Seems to me like you didn't even know of the input/output speed sensors before I tried to help you. Good luck with your unnecessary tranny swap. Oh, and good luck getting the front end lined up perfectly after removing it for no reason.

Last edited by Sittn86; 05-15-2008 at 01:17 AM..
Old 05-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #12
Naturally Aspirated

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittn86 View Post
It sounds like you were going to do such a dumb thing. I was offering help, while adding a joke. Maybe from now on, you should include in all your threads that you don't have a sense of humor. Seems to me like you didn't even know of the input/output speed sensors before I tried to help you. Good luck with your unnecessary tranny swap. Oh, and good luck getting the front end lined up perfectly after removing it for no reason.
Boy am I glad you tuned in. I've tried many times to direct people on this board to try and problem solve things themselves instead of demanding everyone help them... my philosophy on problem solving is to point in a direction without GIVING all the answers. make people try to use some deductivie and pragmatic reasoning. When I jump on idiotic attitude or goofy statements... the liberal do-gooders jump on my $hit for making people think for themselves.
I believe in the saying... give a man a fish, he eats or a day, teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.

so from the car point, if everyone wants just the answer, all that does is make them an information diode!!! take take take and never get back because the have only learned that if you cry enough, someone else will solve all their problems so they don't have to do the work of thinking

BTW: there is no alignment issues with this trans swap. no camber adjustment in the knuckle to strut bolts.

to the originator: since you seemed to be stumped with this problem, and you're also in WI. I'd be willing to buy your car for better than scrap price, or for a very reasonable price, I can diagnose the problem... for $800 I'll install a rebuilt trans- parts and labor
Old 05-15-2008, 12:54 AM   #13
Boostaholic

Information Diode!!!
The same thing happened not too long ago:

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...arrett-t1.html

I'm glad to help anyone in any way I can, but I don't care to if they get all defensive & can't take a joke. I certainly don't know everything, or even close to it. I'm here to help, to be helped, learn & have fun in the process.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:13 AM   #14
Boostaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22dodge View Post
BTW: there is no alignment issues with this trans swap. no camber adjustment in the knuckle to strut bolts.
I knew that... I meant the body aspect of it, not steering.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
TD New Guy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.