'03 SRT-4 wheel bearing/hub - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Transmission, Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels

Transmission, Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels This Dodge forum includes modification, tuning, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of manual and automatic transaxles, shifters, torque converters, flexplates, flywheels, ring gears, axles, and differentials including open, friction, and Q. This forum also includes modification, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of the above parts and how to tune them for better traction and handling. Also includes wheel bearings and hubs, wheel studs and nuts, wheel spacers, and other related items. Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
Arrow '03 SRT-4 wheel bearing/hub  
TD New Guy

My Ride: '03 SRT-4
1/4: 0.000

vicsSRT-4 is keeping the peace
Hi,

I drive '03 SRT-4. Had a knocking noise in the front. Took it to the dealers. Dealer said its the driver front wheel bearing is bad and want to charge over a grand to fix it. I don't have that kinda money right now!

Does anyone know...
  1. if I can interchange hubs from other Neons?
  2. if I can interchange hubs from PT Cruiser?

Anything will help... Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
Re: '03 SRT-4 wheel bearing/hub  
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.570

NAJ has really helped outNAJ has really helped out
Autozone and Advanced Auto are both showing the bearing for around $30.00.
It is a pressed unit, remove the steering knuckle and have thier machine shop press it in.
Call and find out how much the machine shop service is, bet the whole thing is less than $100.00.

REMOVAL
NOTE: Before proceeding, review all Warnings and Cautions. (Refer to 2 - SUSPENSION/FRONT - WARNING)

Apply the brakes and hold in place.
Raise the vehicle. (Refer to LUBRICATION & MAINTENANCE/HOISTING - STANDARD PROCEDURE)
Remove the front tire and wheel assembly.
Remove the cotter pin, lock nut and spring washer from the hub nut (Hub Nut).
While the brakes are applied, loosen and remove the hub nut on the end of the driveshaft (Hub Nut).
Release the brakes.
Remove the front disc brake caliper and adapter as an assembly, and the brake rotor from the steering knuckle. (Refer to 5 - BRAKES/HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL/ROTOR - REMOVAL)
Remove the nut attaching the outer tie rod to the steering knuckle. To do this, hold the tie rod end stud with a wrench while loosening and removing the nut with a standard wrench or crowfoot wrench (Tie Rod Nut Removal/Installation).
Remove the tie rod end from the steering knuckle using Remover, Special Tool MB991113 (Tie Rod Removal).
Remove the tie rod heat shield.
Remove the nut and pinch bolt clamping the ball joint stud to the steering knuckle (Ball Joint Bolt And Nut).
CAUTION: The strut assembly-to-steering knuckle attaching bolts are serrated and must not be turned during removal. Hold the bolts stationary in the steering knuckles while removing the nuts, then tap the bolts out using a pin punch.

Remove the two bolts attaching the strut to the steering knuckle.
NOTE: Use caution when separating the ball joint stud from the steering knuckle, so the ball joint seal does not get cut.

Separate the ball joint stud from the steering knuckle by prying down on lower control arm and up against the ball joint boss on the steering knuckle (Separate Ball Joint From Knuckle).
NOTE: Do not allow the driveshaft to hang by the inner C/V joint; it must be supported to keep the joint from separating during this operation.

Pull the steering knuckle off the driveshaft outer C/V joint splines and remove the steering knuckle.
NOTE: The cartridge type front wheel bearing used on this vehicle is not transferable to the replacement steering knuckle. If the replacement steering knuckle does not come with a wheel bearing, a new bearing must be installed in the steering knuckle. Installation of the new wheel bearing and hub must be done before installing the steering knuckle on the vehicle.

If the wheel bearing and hub need removal, (Refer to 2 - SUSPENSION/FRONT/KNUCKLE - DISASSEMBLY). Do not reuse the wheel bearing.

35 Years ASE Certified
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: 2002 R/T 2003SRTs1
Engine: 2.0l HO & 2.4l Turbo

oklamopar is keeping the peace
<RANT>I wouldn't get anything from the zone, just my experience with replacing parts over and over again. don't care if it is lifetime warranty, <RANT> i use BCA Bearings or the dealer

now on to the job at hand. It shows in my catalog that the R/T neon and the NSRT take the same front hub bearing. The acr takes a different one due to its racing type standing, heavier duty [they say] and like stated above its a press fit. call around, most garages that have a press will do the work [if you pull the hub] for cheap.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
TD New Guy

My Ride: '03 SRT-4

vicsSRT-4 is keeping the peace
Thanks... will explore...

I think that my hub is shot, because the car is all over the road...:(

anyone on the interchangeability? -- lol don't know if that's a word...

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.570

NAJ has really helped outNAJ has really helped out
If you are looking for used the JY usually has catalogs that list the different vehicles the parts are interchangable with.
You may also want to check auto-parts.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.