1988 Dodge Omni transmission swap - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Transmission, Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels

Transmission, Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels This Dodge forum includes modification, tuning, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of manual and automatic transaxles, shifters, torque converters, flexplates, flywheels, ring gears, axles, and differentials including open, friction, and Q. This forum also includes modification, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of the above parts and how to tune them for better traction and handling. Also includes wheel bearings and hubs, wheel studs and nuts, wheel spacers, and other related items. Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
1988 Dodge Omni transmission swap  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 86' Omni GLHS #117
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

OmniNinja is keeping the peace
Hey, I have an 88' Dodge Omni automatic. I am aiming to make it a 5-speed.
I found some people that will sell me the transmission and everything I need for the swap (or so they say) for $350. This is also the transmission out of a GLH-Turbo. Which I believe has the 3.55 gear ratio.

My questions are:
1. Is this a good deal?
2. What all exactly will I need for the swap? (This way I can compare to what he's saying I'll need)
3. Is it worth swapping the transmission or would I be better off just selling it to find a 5-speed Omni even though it won't have the 3.55 transmission?

I am planning on turboing my Omni at some point, or maybe later down the road doing a 2.4l swap if I have the funds and the time if that makes a difference in your answers. I've heard that making an 88' from a TBI to a turbo isn't too much of a trouble. Yes I know I'd have my hands full with a 2.4l swap.

Any comments, answers, or tips are much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
Re: 1988 Dodge Omni transmission swap  
Dr Doom

My Ride: RUSTY DODGES &FORDS
Engine: 86 T1

Dr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars running
I think 88 auto onmi has big spline axles - THIS IS GOOD - because you can swap the good 87 ^ trans (520- or 555 *) into it and you already have the axles to do it

the trans your talking about is easy to break it's the early kind (525) and you would need the axles as well to swap it in (uses small spline)

you'll need to go with the 87 ^ cable shift parts to use the newer trans

350 is fair but you can do a much better trans than that one
* 555 is the newer heavy duty turbo trans

If you don't have the time or the money to do it right the first time , How the hell are you gonna get it right the second time ?
EH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
TD New Guy

So you're saying it would be better to just use a 5-speed from an 87' and up instead of an 85' or 86' turboed model.

What all exactly would I need if I did either one.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:08 AM   #4
Meow!!

My Ride: 87shelby charger
Engine: 2.2L TII

Turbomini is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniNinja View Post
So you're saying it would be better to just use a 5-speed from an 87' and up instead of an 85' or 86' turboed model.

What all exactly would I need if I did either one.
johny is saying that your car has big splin axles in it now, so if you go and get a 87 and newer 520 555 523 568 trans you will not have to buy axles, and the trans i and johny listed are the better one's the 525 is the weakest 5 speed from the factory they only came in omni's from 84ish to 90. and in other cars from 86 and older, the turbo and non turbo trans are the same when 5 speed, so your gonna need cables and shifter and clutch peddle clutch cable and a flywheel and clutch kit, and few other misc things but its not hard to do, if you worked at it you could do it in one week end, also your gonna wanna buy a turbo clutch,
Old 12-04-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
TD New Guy

Awesome. Thanks for the replies.
As for the pedal assembly, how hard is that whole process.
I've heard different stories on it.
1 said I have to remove the interior and dash. The other said I did not.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:25 AM   #6
Meow!!

My Ride: 87shelby charger
Engine: 2.2L TII

Turbomini is keeping the peace
its kinda a pain but its not that hard haha

the dash is the easy part of the deal lol the hardest part is the pedels getting everything unbolted haha
Old 12-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
TD New Guy

Alright well then either the guy I was going to buy the trans from lied or I was mistaken on hearing him.
He told me he had 2 different transmissions.
He told me the first one was the regular 5-speed transmission.
The other one that he was going to sell me for 350 he told me it was a better transmission out of the turbo cars.
So if the glh and regular omni have the same 5-speed, then he's either trying to play me for a sucker or I misunderstood and it really is one of the better trans you guys are talking about.
Is there any way I can just look and tell the difference?
Old 12-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
Dr Doom

My Ride: RUSTY DODGES &FORDS
Engine: 86 T1

Dr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars running
not really , the 525 came as a trans for both carb and turbo - the turbo trans does have some upgraded parts in it but it's still the same week case and week diff design

dificulty of the pedel swap is relative to your wrenching skills - not really hard if you have some idea what your getting into

if you get the turbo clutch you NEED the turbo flywheel as both are a larger diameter than the carb motor ones

omni potent sells a kit that will put the L body rod shift linkage on the newer trans but it ain't cheep + then to make that worth while you will want the heim joint conversion done on the rods as by this time (age) the plastic rod ends will likely be trash

but it's much easier to use a cable style shifter and the cables that would go with the newer trans

the old / new trans can be easily told apart if you remember that the early trans has a flat sheetmetal diff cover and the newer trans have a rounded cast alum cover

the newer trans should have a round tag on top that will denote what trans it is ( 520 , 555 etc) and the gear ratio and the build date & code

the date & code are important if you need parts for the guts inside as things change over time

If you don't have the time or the money to do it right the first time , How the hell are you gonna get it right the second time ?
EH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
3.55, automatic, manual, omni, swap, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.