Laser to Daytona??? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Transmission, Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels

Transmission, Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels This Dodge forum includes modification, tuning, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of manual and automatic transaxles, shifters, torque converters, flexplates, flywheels, ring gears, axles, and differentials including open, friction, and Q. This forum also includes modification, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of the above parts and how to tune them for better traction and handling. Also includes wheel bearings and hubs, wheel studs and nuts, wheel spacers, and other related items. Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Laser to Daytona???  
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

broncoman is keeping the peace
Hey guys, I may have found a "donor" car for my 86 turbo z daytona. It's an 85 Laser turbo. Does anyone know if the manual transmission (and other parts like flywheel, cables, etc) in the laser will work in the Daytona which is an automatic? I think I'm going to do the swap in the spring.
Thanks,
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Re: Laser to Daytona???  
TD New Guy

My Ride: sp and iroc rt
Engine: 2.2
Induct: Turbo

occelatus is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncoman View Post
Hey guys, I may have found a "donor" car for my 86 turbo z daytona. It's an 85 Laser turbo. Does anyone know if the manual transmission (and other parts like flywheel, cables, etc) in the laser will work in the Daytona which is an automatic? I think I'm going to do the swap in the spring.
Thanks,
Scott
yes they will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #3

My Ride: 1988 Daytona CS
Engine: 2.2L Turbo I

Jakecs is ready to make a name for oneself
Yeah the laser is the same exact car, just under a different trim style and name. Same transmissions, and everything.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
TD New Guy

Do you guys know which tranny (manual) is in the 86 turbo z and other cars and/or years that have the same one? (besides the laser?)
Old 01-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
Dr Doom

My Ride: RUSTY DODGES &FORDS
Engine: 86 T1

Dr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars runningDr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars running
84-6 all will use a 525 of one form or another

1 for carb cars
1 for h-o carb cars
1 for turbo cars

the H-O and turbo trans will have a steeper final drive ratio than the base carb trans

all basically will interchange with each other

turbo trans has some stronger parts inside than the others

these transmissions all use the smaller spline axles your car already has

87-9 use a 520 trans or a 555 trans

520 is the base trans for non turbo cars - the 555 is for T2 cars

520 came with either a 350 or 370 final drive ratio
555 is 386

to use the 520 or 555 you would have to use the 87 - 89 shifter , cables and axles

the 89 shifter is slightly shorter and curved slightly to the back

the 525 trans suffers from a weak diff design - both the case and internal parts could have been better
this trans can easily be identifyed by a sheetmetal rear diff cover (should also have an info tag on the back of the diff)

520 & 555 trans will have a rounded cast aluminum diff cover that splits (dissasembles) from the case at the axle centerline - internal parts are also much better than the 525's

520 & 555 will have a round info tag on top of the trans

If you don't have the time or the money to do it right the first time , How the hell are you gonna get it right the second time ?
EH
Old 01-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #6

My Ride: 1988 Daytona CS
Engine: 2.2L Turbo I

Jakecs is ready to make a name for oneself
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncoman View Post
Do you guys know which tranny (manual) is in the 86 turbo z and other cars and/or years that have the same one? (besides the laser?)
They used the a525 trans. They were used up until 87 with the 'tona, but you want one from a turbo car, the same if possible. It came into production in 84 and there might be differences between the different cars but idk. Try and get it from the donor car that you're talking about.

the 555 came in at 87 and was much tougher than the 525. It had getrag gears.

The trannies were beefed up in order to withstand the torque and power of turbocharged engines.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
TD New Guy

Thank you
Old 01-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
Holset Booster

My Ride: Lots of TIII cars:-)
Engine: 2.2TIII EDS code
1/4: 12.101

Lotashelbys is keeping the peace
If I were you I would look for a 90+ manual trans. None of the earlier trans had the hardened bearing race on the intermediate shaft and that always scared me with all the failures happening because of that. If you want to keep it "period correct" thats cool but I would at least look into the 90+.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
compatibility, daytona, laser, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.