86 Turbo-Z build - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Project Log

Project Log Post your project logs here

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
86 Turbo-Z build  
Ballin' on a budget

My Ride: 86 Daytona TurboZ CS
Engine: 2.2 tI
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Dstratt01 is keeping the peace
even though I am already about halfway done with my resto/build I figured I would make a build thread to track and show progress as this baby starts to take shape and become road ready, then finally show ready (hopefully by summer).

For starters- bought the car in January of 2011 for $600
has 72,000 original miles
2.2l t1, 5-speed manual, t-tops, all power, a/c (not working of course), leather interior, 125 speedo, chronometer.

New parts so far- fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, plugs, wires, timing chain (needed re-timed due to slack), battery, motor mounts, cv shafts, misc. body parts and interior plastics, O2 senso, cold air intake, Apexi turbo-tuned muffler and 5" tip (bought from my cousin who took it off his VNT), brake lines, calipers, rotors, pads, banjo bolts, 15" quantum racing wheels and brand new kumho tires, hood, front bumper, headlights, turn signal housings and reflectors.

Started by gutting the interior and assessing the damage (rust wise). Had none except for spare tire well and drivers floor near feet (only about an inch or 2 of cracking.) Then replaced parts one by one as I found more and more that were junk. And so a year and a half later I finally drove the car for the first time, successfully. I had found out previously that the mounts were so far gone that the engine needed remounted about an inch or two towards the firewall. This was found out by driving 10 feet and watching the cv shaft bearing go further than the car. This happened not once, not twice, but three times before figuring out what was causing them to explode.

And now for some pictures of progressing stages

Still to come... windshield (have one just needs installed), possible clutch, possible turbo, body work, paint, fix t-tops, patch rust. Then onto the possible upgrades.

Last edited by Dstratt01; 05-07-2012 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: broken photo links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Re: 86 Turbo-Z build  
TryHard Status

My Ride: 1986 Daytona Turbo Z
Engine: 2.2 TII

turismolover22 is keeping our cars running
Looks like the car that was in manchester. The one I was looking at lol.

Wasn't a T-top, but if ya had bought mine you woulda had one that was a T-II

What we gonna do to that thing again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
Ballin' on a budget

gotta figure out what is making it run like s***. then misc stuff around the car that i need a little insight on.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Ballin' on a budget

Got the hood latch problem fixed. The lazers have a different latch system than the daytonas so I had to drill and mount the old latch onto the new hood. Just need to get the badges and hood vent put on and it should be all done. Also got the new windshield put in and drilled out the t-top locks so that they actually open now.

To-do list: fix the drivers door lock, check the window motors, get the engine to run better (too rich right now), replace front bumper, body work, paint, done. oh and fix the gauges, some are workin some are not. RPM was working but now it seems stuck at 3000 and fuel doesnt either. speedo, volts, and boost are good.

Last edited by Dstratt01; 05-07-2012 at 11:14 PM..
Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
Level 4 Supporter

My Ride: 86' Daytona Turbo Z
Engine: 2.2 TII
1/4: 15.010

woodrow Z is keeping the peace
Hell yeah bro. Another First gen saved. I love the 86 z. I've got mine almost ready to fire for the first time in 2 years. Been doing a full swap from an 89 Shelby! Axles, breaks, and K frame. It's getting quite the work over.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:56 AM   #6
Ballin' on a budget

very nice. sounds like it will be a blast to drive.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:12 AM   #7
Meow!!

My Ride: 87shelby charger
Engine: 2.2L TII

Turbomini is keeping the peace
looks good you know if you need any help i am not to far from you lol, i dont have a lot of tona parts but i do have a LOT of turbo dodge parts! and a lot of info stored up in the noodle
Old 05-05-2012, 01:28 AM   #8
Ballin' on a budget

i really do actually need some help pretty soon. running way too rich, vacuum lines are all effed, and still need to make sure the turbo and clutch are still good. thanks

As for tonight i decided i was tired of the faded blackish gray moldings so i taped off the upper half of the car and went to town with a can of "trim paint". I do have to say it is night and day in comparison and I am extremely pleased with the turnout. also reassembled the drivers t-top and painted the hood vent.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
Ballin' on a budget

bought a new front bumper from banger86 and sparky305 was kind enough to pick it up for me. both are great people to deal with on here. so tonight i disassembled the old front bumper and put the new one on. still need to get the headlights and bezels switched over but it already looks like a totally different car.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:54 AM   #10
Meow!!

My Ride: 87shelby charger
Engine: 2.2L TII

Turbomini is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstratt01 View Post
bought a new front bumper from banger86 and sparky305 was kind enough to pick it up for me. both are great people to deal with on here. so tonight i disassembled the old front bumper and put the new one on. still need to get the headlights and bezels switched over but it already looks like a totally different car.

lookinmg good! i like the look now!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
Hybrid Booster

banger68 is keeping the peace
Looking good. It's coming together. Glad it worked for you.

Get hold of me if you need anything else.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
Ballin' on a budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger68 View Post
Looking good. It's coming together. Glad it worked for you.

Get hold of me if you need anything else.
Thanks again. And yes I do need more parts. That same day I broke the drivers door handle and have decided to give up on trying to fix the drivers t-top. The previous owner snapped the handle in half and I can't seem to find anything to fix it. Welding burnt right through it, quick steel epoxy wouldn't adhere to it and gorrila glue for metal just isn't strong enough. Maybe we could meet at the Detroit Shelby meet if you have anything that would work.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
Hybrid Booster

banger68 is keeping the peace
I'm pretty sure I have a couple handles around. I have several sets of t-tops. I am planning to go to SDAC so meeting there would not be a problem.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #14
Ballin' on a budget

So I went ahead and did all of the vacuum lines today. Bought a vacuum block, and 5 new vacuum lines ($25 for block, $11 for lines). Did my best to figure out where everything needed to be and I got it all right on the first shot. I cant even begin to describe how much better It is running. I got it out onto the street and had a burnout all the way through first and chirped into second. This is coming from a car that before took over 10 seconds to get to 40. Now shes turning into a real screamer. Also cleared the codes and checked again after driving and none came back up. So that means finish up the misc. interior work and then shes off to the body shop to come back as a car worhty to win me some awards this summer!
Old 05-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #15
Ballin' on a budget

So I got her out after work and took it for a nice long cruise. no problems at all. cant be happier with the way she's been running since the new vac lines and block. After the drive I took some pics out in the sun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
build thread, daytona, restoration, t-tops, turbo z

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.