Turbo Dodge Forums banner

'88 Dodge Aries-K TII "K-Machine" Project

6K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  yellonoma 
#1 ·
Dream project since I realized turbo dodges existed... and just completed the main part of the puzzle!:thumb:

'88 Dodge Aries-K, been watching this car for a loooong time, and I had word it went up for estate sale, and picked it up for $500.00 from a very kind gentleman and drove it 180km home a few weeks ago.

Specs... 35,000km, no it didn't roll the odometer over, this car has verified 35,000km. Elderly lady owned car, garage stored, undercoated and frequently maintained. Drove like a new car (80's) car.

Unsure of the engine size, engine was replaced 2 years ago due to blowing a freeze plug and overheating. After a quick inspection I suspect (fingers crossed) a 2.5L 90-up common block, and 782 head. This would be great, because it gives me a (3rd) usable turbo block and head with minor changes :thumb:

Automatic, AM radio, bucket seats and even a map light! interior is immaculate and the chrome and rubbers are in fantastic shape staying out of the sun.

Has some rust here and there, was winter driven but the floors are perfect!

The plan, oh the plans! :D

• Built 2.5L Turbo block, Turbo II conversion, 14psi at first
  • A555 5-speed conversion
  • Upgraded front brakes, rear disc
  • Daytona Shelby (or comparable) front & rear suspension
  • 15" Crab Rims (already got them) considering gold w/ polished lip
  • Mixture of daytona/k-car dash, some sort of center console
  • Maybe - lebaron digital dash upgrade
  • Fusible links switched to 90-up fuse block set-up
  • Considering painted metallic black, tinted tail lights
  • Considering lowering the car a couple inches
  • No plans of body "modifications" besides possibly a subtle whale tail style rear spoiler, a daytona shelby/ES ground effect package adaptation is a slight consideration promoted by shelbyssrts...

Project will be slow, I need an actual garage first this round, parts collection and junkyard hunting will be key first and I will likely build/re-build the A555 transmission I have sitting around soon.

See less See more
#4 ·
A guy here did exactly what you're about to do. His car was a 4-door, same colors and all. He put a TII a555 setup in it from a Shelby, swapped suspension bits, etc. But he left the factory paint and ran it on black steel wheels. That thing was a fantastic sleeper. Had a full exhaust and everything, so it just looked like another grandma car. :cool:

Good luck with yours!

#6 ·
Its smec, so 88 - 89 and its what I'm comfortable with. I am probably make a scratch harness for it, for me its easier than tracing down shitty 25 year old harness swap problems and half the Daytona is scratch anyway so nothing new lol. All the gm plugs can be gotten easily, injector plugs new online and everything else can be universal electronics plugs

#8 ·
Update!

Something followed me home, 89' Aries w/ 2.5 Auto. 2.5 is a good score, extra spare common block if I need it. Car will be completed disassembled and stored away for parts for the 88'

Also picked up a 90' Daytona Shelby k-frame/swaybar/control arms, 89' Daytona Shelby knuckles+calipers (thank you acannell!) and 89' Daytona rear vented disc kit.

Among other need parts found a "4" stamped master cylinder, hardware to put a clutch in an automatic car and a k-car center console

Been busy. Need to build a garage in Spring 2017 so I can FINALLY start this sick dream

88' Aries under the tarp, and yes that's a 90' Daytona ES Turbo, see that over on my Daytona Shelby Resto thread

#10 ·
They do seem to be rare, I think my 88' has a common block 2.5 as well but I got to crawl under it and find the date on the block. The motor was replace due to overheating at one point, likely/hopefully with a newer one

#11 ·
Starting to build speed on the the "K-Machine" project, picked up another parts K-car in the meantime, somewhere around December 2017

Low mileage car, but my other K-car is still in better shape. No motor but an auto trans to sell, a blue center console I needed, extra bucket seats + blue interior and some good body panels and spare parts.

Attachments

#12 ·
This happened, commited and built a garage in 2017 to give the Shelby and K-car project a proper home, first big step in starting the K-Machine project, and had to lay low on the Shelby and K-car until it was finished

Attachments

#13 ·
Parts car score, grabbed a bunch of exterior bits for spare parts. Everything else is useless toward the project though, 2.2 Auto and red interior - boo

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.