84 rebuild - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Electrical Help and Discussion area for any Electrical issues/diagrams.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-17-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

My Ride: 84 and 2 89 Daytonas
Engine: 2.2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

84 rebuild

Im going to update my 84 Daytona to a 88 Daytona Shelby was wondering if anyone at links to any info on doing a update so i can read up on it before i start the project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-18-2017, 01:28 AM
Hybrid Booster

Re: 84 rebuild

Johnny Dodge posted on this a while back if I remember correctly.

Hopefully he will see your post and chime in.

What all are you changing, electrical system??

Engine and trans.??

Body parts??

Engine and trans are straight forward using the 1988 axles, shifter and cables.

Thanks
Randy
post #3 of 4 Old 02-18-2017, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

My Ride: 84 and 2 89 Daytonas
Engine: 2.2
Induct: Turbo

Ya I'm doing motor and trans, and was told everything needs to be changed, so I'll probably do some of the interior as well but would like to know what exactly needs to be done and how everyone that has done this made it possible

post #4 of 4 Old 02-18-2017, 06:37 PM
Hybrid Booster

Re: 84 rebuild

Very few have done much with the 1984's as they were a single year electrically and electronically.

From memory John Dodge posted a while back about the wiring swap.

As you probably know the 1984 has the Logic Module in the passengers side kick panel and a Power Module beside the battery, as were all 1984-1987.

1988 went to a SMEC style electronics with a single module beside the battery.

Assuming you remove the 1984 under hood wiring and LM that leaves you with installing the 1988 engine harness.

The actual Engine part is no issue as its the matching Engine but the headlights are the main underhood difference.

The next issue is the bulkhead connector, I know the 1988 goes through a grommet in the firewall and connects with the fuse box.

I'm not sure but I believe the 1984 bulkhead connector is right at the firewall and there is your issue.

I've only done L bodys with a bulkhead connector so when joining it to the SMEC harness I chopped off the Engine side wiring coming out of the bulkhead about 1 ft.

I also chopped off the SMEC harness where it goes through the firewall and spliced them together.

It's not that complicated as most of the wires are for lights, gauges etc.

Alternatively, you could strip the entire harness from the 1984 and replace the Engine, dash and rear body harness with the 1988.

The 1984 and 1988 don't connect at the firewall/bulkhead/fuse box/dash harness is the main issue to consider.

Thanks
Randy

86 GLH S60
86 GLHS 373
89 Turbo Minivan
83 Rampage Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page