89 caravan turbo - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Electrical Help and Discussion area for any Electrical issues/diagrams.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By lightbulb010

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-14-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

89 caravan turbo

Hello, wondering if you guys can help me out, I have a 89 dodge caravan turbo 5 spd base model, no power options, van runs awesome, when driving during the day everything works perfect, when you turn the lights on gas gauge goes full, volts go dead, tach dont read properly and the oil pressure gauge reads low and volts go dead, and both blinker lights come on as if the bulbs were blown. I've changed the headlight switch, ignition switch and all the fuses are good. I was wondering if any input you guys have would be appreciated. thnks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-15-2017, 06:57 PM
Hybrid Booster

Re: 89 caravan turbo

Well, I don't know if this will help or not, but I had a 96 Dakota that did a similar thing. I had to take the guage cluster out and make sure all the 'plugs' were secure on the back, then re-install. I'd have to do it every few months. There is probably a way of making the connections more secure but I'm not sure what it is. That might help.

PS: if you ever want to sell the van please let me know. That is one of the cars on my list of desired cars!! Thanks!
post #3 of 8 Old 05-16-2017, 05:36 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.570

All of the symptoms you describe sound like a ground issue.

First thing to do is verify with a voltmeter or test lamp that ALL fuses have power in and out so you can rule out a stray voltage issue.

If OK you will need to verify all interior body grounds have continuity to ground.
The BK wires at the Headlamp Switch Connector and at the Instrument Cluster Connector #1 are both Ground wires.
Use an Ohmmeter to verify both have Continuity to ground.(less than 5 ohms)

post #4 of 8 Old 05-16-2017, 07:29 AM
Garrett Booster

NAJ do you know where they ground to. or go too?
post #5 of 8 Old 05-16-2017, 07:42 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

Off the top of my head no and the wiring I have does not give me ground locations.

There is usually a ground wire behind the L/S kick panel, is that a correct location on an 89 Caravan?

Like I said, start with the fuses.
A blown fuse will cause voltage to look for an alternate path to ground and if it finds one other components will be powered even if only slightly/sporadically.

The reason I stress this to people is that even though 99.9% of the time a blown fuse will only cause a circuit to be inop/not powered I wasted a lot of time and effort years ago looking for a dome light that would not tun off in a Jeep.
It turned out the Dome Lamp fuse was blown, the voltage found another way to ground through the dome lamp circuit and the lamp stayed powered all of the time.

Jan
1990 Daytona Shelby VNT

38 Years ASE Certified
post #6 of 8 Old 05-16-2017, 09:56 PM
NAJ
Just A Guy

It also dawned on me today that another member had a similar issue to yours awhile back and that issue turned out to be a shorted headlamp switch.
If you do not find anything you may want to try a known good headlamp switch to see if that corrects the issue.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-19-2017, 11:26 AM
CoupleOvans

My Ride: 94 Voyager
Engine: 3.0
Induct: N/A

I was having an issue like this in my Acclaim.
Mine ended up being a fried instrument cluster. Installed a different cluster, solved the issues.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-20-2017, 02:30 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 87' Plymouth Voyager
Engine: 3.0l v6
Induct: S/C

I have an 87' voyager and the cluster ground is under the kick panel like NAJ said. It's kind of hard to get to.

If you end up taking the cluster out, solder ALL the pins to the board. This could save you a lot of headaches in the future. The pins are just crimped from the factory and they tend to lose their connection. Soldering them solves that problem.
masterjr3333 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page