Resetting code on Pioneer DEX-77 - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Electrical

Electrical Help and Discussion area for any Electrical issues/diagrams.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 11:14 PM   #16
Re: Resetting code on Pioneer DEX-77  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 87 shelby lancer
Engine: 2.2 t2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

moparman7 is keeping the peace
yes i tried that and it does nothing , that method only works if you have the code that works and you want to change the code to a different one, as per dex-77 service manual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2009, 10:20 PM   #17
Boostaholic

My Ride: 1989 Caravan
Engine: 2.5

newmember is keeping the peace
Bringing this back from the dead with hopes someone figured this out by now. I have SL 578 and the previous owner couldn't remember the code. Would like to make sure the unit still works like he said it did.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:38 AM   #18
TD New Guy

My Ride: Audi 100, 200, 200.

sm7xvd is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmember View Post
Bringing this back from the dead with hopes someone figured this out by now. I have SL 578 and the previous owner couldn't remember the code. Would like to make sure the unit still works like he said it did.
There's still no resolve to this. I've managed to get a dump of the EEPROM where the code is stored, but no success in translating it to a usable code.

Code:
S1230000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF0000000000000000F4
S9030000FC
In plain text it would suggest the code 4903, but it's to no avail.

If anyone has a unit with a known code, i'd be happy to read the memory of that unit too so that we may find out how the code is encoded into memory.
I'm also going to try and replace it with a blank chip. With a little luck they weren't programmed at all at the factory. The 93c06 is a compatible replacement circuit.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:44 AM   #19
TD New Guy

Development was under way, and then.. Catastrophe struck.
I was so close.
I was experimenting with my storage oscilloscope to see if i could capture the data stream from the eeprom which holds the code. Things were going great, my scope just didn't have quite high sample rate enough to see the information relibly. So i sent the dex-77 off to a friend who has a much better scope, but when he wires it up, the blue smoke comes out. A capacitor and a transistor are fried, but after replacement the unit is still dead. Also just after i sent it off i found out that the PDH001 eeprom is just a rebranded X24C44, so it probably would have worked had i replaced it.
Now we'll never know.

Has anyone else figured out a way to unlock a unit where you've forgotten the code? Does anyone have a locked unit which they cannot use and might give me a try on it?
Old 11-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #20
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1987 GLHS and S/L
Engine: 2.2

glhs0075 is keeping the peace
sm7xvd,

It sounds like you're further ahead then me, from what I've been able to figure out:
I recently contacted Pioneer about this, the response I got was that there was no reset code or password, and the part to repair it is no longer available.

I take this to mean that the above mentioned steps to change the pass code only work on an already unlocked unit (this is how I managed to change my code on my once working DEX, random button pushing with a non-funtioning display).

"Repair" requires replacement of a chip, but I'm not certain which one.

If you were closer, I'd send you my locked-out DEX to play with. As it stands, my plan is to continue with the 0001,0002, etc... sequence. It's too cold to go out to the car to input codes all the time now, but in the near future I hope to pull it and set it up on a bench inside my office.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #21
Boostaholic

Induct: N/A

GhostDaytona is traveling down a dark road
I just bought a P47DH the other 1.5 din pioneer off of eBay, an I hope I don't have the same problem.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #22
TD New Guy

glhs0075,

As i wrote the X24C44 is probably the correct replacement part, and it is available on ebay. You could try and get one and put in your unit. Assuming that the eeproms were not programmed in manufacturing, it should be as if you just took it out of the box. It's the PDH001 chip located in the back left of the unit which should be replaced. It is mounted in a socket, so it's quite easy.
This will not solve the more interesting part of the mystery, ie how the code is encoded in the memory, but might get your unit running :).
Old 11-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #23
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1987 GLHS and S/L
Engine: 2.2

glhs0075 is keeping the peace
It will take me some time to get around to this, but I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help sm7xvd!

Edit: I'm not much of a 'technophile', do I want the DIP style chip?
Old 11-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #24
TD New Guy

Yup, that's the one.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #25
TD New Guy

Still haven't given up!
I managed to get a defective DEX-77 from Lithuanian ebay, so i got two defective ones combined into one working!
I've replaced the PDH001 eeprom with an x24c44 and it seems like the unit can indeed read and write from it. Now i know that the eeprom is indeed programmed from the factory, as a blank chip did not result in code 0000. I've sent the eeproms from both my units away to be read, along with an x24c44 to be programmed with all zeroes, or whatever seems appropriate after the PDH001s are read out.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:30 AM   #26
Hybrid Booster

DodgeG24Man is keeping the peace
Have you tried the selling dealership?
In the files ( usually in storage somewhere nowadays ) If you give the original selling dealership your VIN number they can usually track the paperwork to the vehicle and give you the code.This only works if your unit is original to the car, Units purchased without the VIN number information and selling dealership information you may have luck with a spiecalized audio repair facility.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #27
TD New Guy

The code is programmable. Any such information is most likely useless. In those days i believe Audi only worked with Blaupunkt, the Pioneer is most likely after market.
I've now got all the gear to figure it out. All i need is a complete stereo or bare eeprom with a known code, as it's not written to memory in clear text. Anyone want to help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.