Thermostat spacer w/ two 1/8 npt ports - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Buy Trade Sell > Parts For Sale

Parts For Sale Post your turbo dodge parts for sale here. TD-specific items only.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Thermostat spacer w/ two 1/8 npt ports  
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona ES
Engine: 2.5 Turbo 1
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

acannell is keeping our cars running
This is an EXPERIMENTAL design that has never been tested!!

This design has never been tested or installed on a vehicle so it may or may not work, and if it doesn't work, there are no returns or refunds.

Please review the drawing and pictures and make sure this will work in your application before purchasing.

The material is 6061-T6511.

See the drawing for detailed dimensions! Briefly: hole diameter for the thermostat is 1.5", like the head. The ports are 1/8 NPT. The thickness of the adapter is 0.485". The ports are 0.64" apart center to center.

The front surface has a machined finish, but the rear surface is unmachined, but is free from any pits or deep scratches and so should hold RTV well I think, or you could just sand or something.

The entire part was milled with a roughing bit so it does not have a smooth finish and has ridges in the z-axis. I dont think this really makes any difference functionally and you could probably dremel it smooth or something.

The demonstration fittings in the picture are rather large so I think pretty much anything would fit.

The fittings ARE NOT INCLUDED and are shown only for demonstration.

The only thing included is the aluminum spacer.

Price is $45 + s/h ($7 USA, $13 canada).

Or you can bid on the auction at:

Thermostat Spacer w Two 1 8 NPT Ports for 80's 90's Chrysler K Cars | eBay

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Re: Thermostat spacer w/ two 1/8 npt ports  
Level 3 Supporter

My Ride: 95 Lebaron vert
Engine: 3.0 N/A

GentleCowboy is keeping the peace
....and the purpose of this spacer is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleCowboy View Post
....and the purpose of this spacer is?
i cant take credit for the idea, i just designed and machined it..

apparently some people need ports on the head for turbo coolant lines or senders and this is a desireable solution..not sure why they cant just drill holes in the thermostat housing and tap them..but a couple people seemed excited about it so there must be some purpose..theres a thread on it "free machining for all" or something
Old 11-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
Level 3 Supporter

If it is for the credit... ok good job. Coolant will not circulate between two ports at the same in/out level. one has to be at the water circulating pump and the other where you have it. The ID of the port though is less than the minimum required. So, good idea for practicing design but not for cooling the turbo. Keep trying and think broad range.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
If it is for the credit... ok good job. Coolant will not circulate between two ports at the same in/out level. one has to be at the water circulating pump and the other where you have it. The ID of the port though is less than the minimum required. So, good idea for practicing design but not for cooling the turbo. Keep trying and think broad range.
I'm officially not the one coming up with ideas. Check out the thread. If someone comes up with something I find interesting, I'll machine it and they get one free. This one I had no use for, but a couple people seemed really excited about it so I made one, but its for sale, not free, since I dont need or want it.

They seemed real sure that it needed to be thin, I'm guessing its for an L-body or something? I have craploads of space on my daytona, id make it 1" thick instead, but this is what they wanted. I'd be worried that a sender would hit the actual thermostat itself since the holes intersect that zone. Oh well long hair dont care. I defer to the minds who thought of it.

Yes the 1/8npt is probably too small for coolant. I couldnt fit bigger at 1/2" thick without making a thicker block for the threads and then necking down to go under the thermostat, and I dont have any thicker stock than 1/2" at the moment, so not this time!

I dont think the idea was ever to use both ports on the spacer for supply and return, obviously. But you could use both as return (or supply? i forget) and maybe end up with enough flow that way. If this one sells for something reasonable I may make one with the bigger threaded zone so a bigger fitting can be used. And maybe even switch bits and give it a finish!

Apparently someone wants it because it has a $0.01 bid, woohoo!
Old 11-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
Level 3 Supporter

I understand you're exited with the creativity. Don't take me wrong. The cylinderhead has already an outlet for the turbo cooling plugged with a 1/2" NPT plug. You're someone might see it as and idea.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
I understand you're exited with the creativity. Don't take me wrong. The cylinderhead has already an outlet for the turbo cooling plugged with a 1/2" NPT plug. You're someone might see it as and idea.
Sounds like you didn't read the thread, heres apparently why they want it:

Quote:
it would be for anyone that wants to put a gauge sender in or do a turbo swap that on the there none turbo head when they cant get the plugs out of the head for the turbo coolant lines

but yeah it does need to be only about 1/2" thick with the holes to the driver side or the bottom
wow it just jumped up to $5.00 with 2 bidders! I'm going to be ROLLING IN MONEY. Literally. I will go to the bank and ask for that shiz in quarters. U jelly?

It only took me about 4 hours to measure, draw, toolpath, and machine it..so i'm almost up to minimum wage in India...TOTALLY worth it IMNSHO
Old 11-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
TD Hardcore User!

The one on ebay sold for about $15 shipped!

I can make more of these on demand, so if you want one, just PM me and I will send you the paypal address to send $15 to. Give me 2 days to machine the part, and I'll mail it out to you USPS First Class.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
Dr Doom

My Ride: RUSTY DODGES &FORDS
Engine: 86 T1

Dr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars runningDr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars running
I know what you mean about the senders possiably hitting the t stat

Idono if the idea was to put it over the t stat or under it but , if I had a spacer to move the t stat away from the head slightly I would have been able to add another gauge sender to the bleed hole position on top of the t stat box

as it is now the t stat gets in the way of any sender that might try to fit the bleed hole

no idea now how much the t stat needs to be moved forward - but a spacer to accomplish that would be an idea

If you don't have the time or the money to do it right the first time , How the hell are you gonna get it right the second time ?
EH
Old 11-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
I know what you mean about the senders possiably hitting the t stat

Idono if the idea was to put it over the t stat or under it but , if I had a spacer to move the t stat away from the head slightly I would have been able to add another gauge sender to the bleed hole position on top of the t stat box

as it is now the t stat gets in the way of any sender that might try to fit the bleed hole

no idea now how much the t stat needs to be moved forward - but a spacer to accomplish that would be an idea
Wouldnt it be the same as this adapter, just without the need for the two 1/8 npt ports?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
Dr Doom

My Ride: RUSTY DODGES &FORDS
Engine: 86 T1

Dr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars runningDr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars running
ya , I just have no idea how thick it would need to be at this moment

it would only need to be thick enough to move the t stat forward of the bleed hole
Old 07-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #12
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis

My Ride: 1988 Labaron Convert
Engine: Turbo 2 2.2 liter

CBMDennis is keeping our cars running
Did this project get completed?

Dennis
Old 07-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #13
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: SC/GLHS(2)/CSX
Engine: 2.2

ILIKESHELBYS is keeping our cars runningILIKESHELBYS is keeping our cars running
ACANNEL: I sure would like to get one of these for use with the 4th cyl coolant mod.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #14
TD Hardcore User!

i made a couple of them but they sold for so little that I stopped making them. Id have to sell them for $45 + s/h each for it to be worth it. If that sounds good, PM me and I'll make a couple.

BTW please review the design to make sure its what you need. I'm not sure how well it would work with the 4th cylinder coolant mod, because I've never tried it, but it seems reasonable.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:07 AM   #15
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMDennis View Post
Did this project get completed?

Dennis
i made a couple but then nobody asked for them anymore. if you would like one, send the $45 to the same paypal email you sent for the 4th cyl coolant mod, and ill machine you one. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.