Official Daytona Thread! - Page 142 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Appearance > Exterior

Exterior Restoration, or topics about the exterior

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #2116
Re: Official Daytona Thread!  
Boostaholic

My Ride: 87 SHELBY CSX
Engine: 2.2 Turbo II
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

azkcar135 is keeping the peace
The color is cool and the theme is pretty sweet too! The only thing I could possibly hate on and it's not even that bad, is the black around the pop up lights. I know its there to look like the daytona/superbirds, but makes it look like a mustang IMO. Overall it's a sweet build would like to see hoe you did the hood!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #2117
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1989 Shelby Daytona

daytona017 is keeping the peace
my daytona shelby

old school picture
Old 02-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #2118
Ballin' on a budget

My Ride: 86 Daytona TurboZ CS
Engine: 2.2 tI

Dstratt01 is keeping the peace
Finally got her all torn down at the body shop. Now to get the 3 dents out and straighten the whole body with evercoat z-grip and usc icing. Then onto paint but haven't decided whether to go with lesonal or something slightly cheaper. Also got a set of crab rims (need to refinish them) and am still looking for the c/s badges for the fenders. Other than that She will be all done and ready for the shows this summer.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #2119
ENTER 4 JULY COTM!

My Ride: 89 Daytona Shelby TT
Engine: 2.5 TII

yellonoma is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstratt01 View Post
and am still looking for the c/s badges for the fenders.
I believe a member on here martymopar has a inventory of those CS badges NOS. Just to point you in the right direction
Old 02-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #2120
Hybrid Booster

banger68 is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstratt01 View Post
am still looking for the c/s badges for the fenders.
Thought I sent you a couple? PM me your address.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #2121
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1987 Dodge Daytona
Engine: 2.2 Liter Turbo

MrWhiteRussian is keeping the peace
My '87 Pacifica that I bought last month after going without a Mopar for almost 3 years. It is definitely a work in progress. lol

Old 03-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #2122
Boostaholic

My Ride: 1989 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 Intercooled

omniac is keeping the peace
Hi Guys. I've been through 67 pages already and haven't seen what I'm looking for.

My 1989 had a repaint in 2009 and the decals are not OEM style lettering or size.

Can someone post a close up of their "SHELBY" door decal along with the bulge hood decal?

I should mention it's a 1989 Daytona Shelby, 2.2 Intercooled.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #2123
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.5

EvilcowRoland is keeping the peace
Not the best picture and my car is filthy right now, but here's the door letters. My hood only says "turbo" so someone else needs to get the intercooled logo for you.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #2124
TD New Guy

Engine: 2.2L Turbo II

xXStayThirstyXx is keeping the peace
My dead, (soon to be revived) filthy baby. 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z with T-Tops. My father bought brand new, sold to uncle for his first car. He blew the tranny (needs new gear syncros...) I recently purchased this from my uncle for $550. 149,000 miles. Bone stock except for paint Plan to keep it bone stock. I can't wait to restore this.
NOTE: Sorry for the mostly interior pics. In a barn, surrounded by junk. Hard to get exterior pics.
Official Daytona Thread!-img_1961.jpg

Official Daytona Thread!-img_1965.jpg

Official Daytona Thread!-img_1977.jpg

Official Daytona Thread!-img_1976.jpg

Official Daytona Thread!-img_1969.jpg

Official Daytona Thread!-img_1978.jpg

Official Daytona Thread!-img_1963.jpg

Official Daytona Thread!-img_1972.jpg
Old 04-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #2125

My Ride: 87 daytona T top
Engine: 3.5 twin turbo V6

knightmoves is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXStayThirstyXx View Post
My dead, (soon to be revived) filthy baby. 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z with T-Tops. My father bought brand new, sold to uncle for his first car. He blew the tranny (needs new gear syncros...) I recently purchased this from my uncle for $550. 149,000 miles. Bone stock except for paint Plan to keep it bone stock. I can't wait to restore this.
NOTE: Sorry for the mostly interior pics. In a barn, surrounded by junk. Hard to get exterior pics.
awesome car! glad to see you saving another daytona from the Jyard!!! keep us posted on the progress!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #2126
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmoves View Post
awesome car! glad to see you saving another daytona from the Jyard!!! keep us posted on the progress!
Thanks!! I can do! I need to start saving for a new tranny! I also like being one of the youngest to do so around here!!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #2127
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 87 CSX#193/ Daytona
Engine: 2.2 Turbo

turbot11 is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXStayThirstyXx View Post
Attachment 61577

Attachment 61585

Attachment 61593

Attachment 61601

Attachment 61609

Attachment 61617

Attachment 61625

Attachment 61633
Love the color combo! Cant wait to see more of this car! Congrats on getting it and keep us posted on your progress
Old 04-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #2128
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbot11 View Post
Love the color combo! Cant wait to see more of this car! Congrats on getting it and keep us posted on your progress
Thank ya thank ya! I plan to change the paint back to original colors though. I'm not too much of a fan of the cherry-red and the paint is flaking off as the days pass. Original is red with the same silver body spoilers. And to add my louvers back, of course!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #2129
We'll do it live!

My Ride: 91 Spirit/89 Daytona
Engine: 2.5 T2ish/2.2 T2

itsbudda is keeping the peace
Sorry kinda long story.

I just picked up my dream car a few months ago. 1989 Daytona Shelby. Saw this in person at a local TD event 5 years ago and fell in love. The car spent almost it's entire life in Cincinnati, but was sold to a guy who lives near Baltimore, MD back in 2010.

Fast forward to December this year, after spending a year and all my money working on the motor in my 1991 dodge spirit, some jerk cuts right in front of me from the center lane for taco bell, and the insurance company totals it. It had a lien on the title so all the money went to the bank, leaving me with a broken, albeit running car that can't be registered, and no money to fix it, luckily, I bank with a local credit union who were understanding and willing to lend some green to get me mobile again.

Seriously, that's totaled? Pshaw.

I start thumbing through TD and TM classifieds, and come across the Daytona. It's now wearing maaco paint (that had already come off the front valance,) 16in Rota Slipstreams, and aftermarket graphics, but it's definitely the same car I fell in love with in 08. It was boasting a Menegon head, Taft stage 2 cam, 135 compression across the board on .030 pistons, ported intake, exhaust, Forward Motion T3/T4 46 Trim w/ Stg2 wheel .63 AR, Snow performance meth injection, adding up to 332/375 hp/tq on the dyno at 26psi.

Besides having a new cal that didn't quite work (overboost at 5psi, some hesitation), the car was in tip top shape, and I was repeatedly assured it could totally make the trip home as it had driven there. It was fine for normal driving, just not beating on it. It even came with the old cal chip. I had no doubts. Coincidentally, the ad was posted the same day as the accident. I suppose that's fate. I look around for cars closer and fail to secure a loan for anything because my poor credit and the low values of the cars i'm looking at. Just for sh*ts and giggles, I have them run the numbers on the daytona (which apparently Nada values at 7k ) and they were able to get me a loan for the cost of the car and an additonal $1000. Totally enough to cover travel costs, and a very mediocre stay at the La Quinta Inn Glen Burnie, with some to spare should anything go wrong. My mom somehow agreed/insisted to come along for this journey. It was gonna be an adventure, culminating in a super sweet car that was freshly rebuilt bumper to bumper 10k ago. What could go wrong? I was especially glad to not be alone, seeing as though this is how my last road trip went, 100 miles from home.

Oh Snap by itsbudda, on Flickr
4 hours later, finally a tow truck. Please, save us from the cornfields!

_IGP3677 by itsbudda, on Flickr

After a short test drive, mostly of me fighting with the TU 6 puck ceramic clutch (Holy crap it's grippy) I pretty much instantly decided to buy the car. The next morning, we did the title work, I swapped out the 90s infinity radio for a sony i took from my spirit, and at 11am, I was on my way 530 miles home in a car I've dreamed about for years.

3 hours later it all came crashing down. Only 200 miles into the trip, the car flatlines in the mountains. Desperate and stranded who knows where, 340 miles from home, we start calling repair shops, asking straight up, "Hey we're screwed. Can I drop a car in your parking lot for a couple days while we figure out our next move?" A diesel truck repair shop called Don Rodeheaver repair not only let me park the car there, but the next day when I came back with an arsenal of spare parts salvaged from the spirit, they let me try to fix it myself in their shop for free and turned on a heater for me. This kinda backfired, as the car was covered under 1/2 inch of ice that instantly began to rain on top of me as I worked under the car.

Initially I was drawn toward the fuel system. The pump would turn on, and not stop. Pressure was normal, but as soon as it would crank, it would drop. I tried to change the fuel filter first, and if that didn't work try the pump. After a half hour or so of fighting with very rusty fuel lines, laying in a still deepening pool of ice water, I get the new filter on, only to see it still dropping fuel pressure while cranking, but now it's losing pressure when not. I look under to see the metal line spewing gas from a new crack. "F**k this!" was declared, and the shop offered to replace all the rotten lines and put in the spare pump for the cost of labor. I bid farewell to the car and headed home for Cincinnati. They really are probably the nicest people in the world. I was very fortunate to break down near their shop.

A week and a half later we get a call from Don. New lines and a pump later, there was still no start. He said it sounded like there was something internally wrong with the engine, like not all cylinders are firing, so we arranged to have it towed home through official auto transport, exhausting the last of my money. (Can't complain though. $500 for a 340 mile tow. Not bad.) It finally arrives home a month later, mercilessly covered in road salt with the doors stuck open from frozen latches, A sorry sight, but one I was overjoyed to see nonetheless. Now the real fun can begin, on a shoestring budget. TD style!!!

This is a perfectly good workspace!

I tested the voltage at the pump, and found 12 volts key on, but zero cranking. Through talking with the PO, i find the guy who rebuilt the car had inexplicably completely rewired the pump directly to the battery, controlled by the ignition switch somehow. I traced pump's positive wire from the battery through the clutch cable boot where a little black wire comes out that's kinda chewed up. Thinking this may be the ground i trace it into the dash only to find this mess to sort.

The black wire was spliced to 2 wires, black and blue, which led to the A/F gauge. The rest of these wires were boost gauge and meth injection. A dead end. I found the positive pump wire went through to a connector under the driver kick panel, and I traced the wire back from the pump to the same connector, but I could never find the control.
I tried in vain to contact the local who built it but he hasn't been active on the forums for a long time. With absolutely no idea where it was controlled, I removed the positive lead and completely redid the wiring to the pump. My setup was much more common sense. I just hooked it to the battery with an inline fuse, with a switch controlling on the ground side, mounted where the climate control sensor would have been.

Sneaky sneaky sneaky

While the back seat was out, this was also a good time to install the rear seatbelts that were omitted when the PO swapped the 1984 checker interior in.

Seriously. Who wouldn't bodge a perfectly good car for seats this awesome?!?

Unfortunately, there's still no start. It's only turning over. I hopelessly stand over the engine and ponder, and the cam gear catches my eye. Just as I saw in the spirit 7 months prior, the gear seems to be riding far to the left of the belt. I pop the valve cover, and

Oh Snap, The Sequel by itsbudda, on Flickr
"Congratulations! You've managed to break 2 camshafts on 2 cars in 6 months." Given the lack of visible wear, and recent timing work, I chalked it up to belt tension, the same cause of my previous failure that broke within 1mm of the same place (spirit Oh Snap | Flickr - Photo Sharing!)

I picked up a camshaft from a 1994 plymouth acclaim with 110,000 miles for only $38. I'm sure that took a bite out of the horsepower, but finally my Daytona roared to life. I installed the older cal that came with it. It's a lot better than the other cal, but was seemingly designed only for flat out 1/4 mile pulls, as it has some erratic issues on long drives, and a really weird idle, but it loves boost. I'm eagerly awaiting a new FWD-P stage 5 chip before driving it daily. Until then it's limited to a few cruises a week, and I've lowered the boost to match.

Plans after that are to start gathering AC components for summer (aftermarket AC delete FTL,) tackle the rocker rust before it gets too bad, repair the torn drivers seat, and install some of the odds and ends omitted during the interior swap, fix some broken gauges, maybe add some more. All in all, not a bad starting place. Totally worth it.

Derptona
1989 Daytona shelby. 2.2 T2, Menegon head, 1mm os valve, Same side FMIC, 3 in exhaust, +40s, 84 checker interior

Ceelo Red
2009 Honda Civic Si (S-low)
2.0 i-vtec, 6speed. The boring daily. Totally stock, staying that way.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #2130
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbudda View Post
Sorry kinda long story.

I just picked up my dream car a few months ago. 1989 Daytona Shelby. Saw this in person at a local TD event 5 years ago and fell in love. The car spent almost it's entire life in Cincinnati, but was sold to a guy who lives near Baltimore, MD back in 2010.......

Horrible luck! Great car man! I can certainly relate to your car! (My post is up there a couple posts) Glad to hear it's running! Have fun with the additions, good luck, and enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
daytona, iroc r/t, shelby, shelby z, vnt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.