HiD/LED Headlight conversion for 90 & 92 Daytona - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Appearance > Exterior

Exterior Restoration, or topics about the exterior

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
HiD/LED Headlight conversion for 90 & 92 Daytona  
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 90 VNT, 92 Iroc R/T
Engine: TII,TIII,TIV many Tona's 2.2 2.5
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.200

Shredder is keeping the peace
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has used a headlight conversion on their gen 2/3 Daytona. I drive a lot of highway at night and really want to see whats up ahead, and running in the ditch. I smoked a deer last summer in my VNT and see them far to often. Any preference of name brand/kits? Good or bad reviews? I hear some burn out quick...Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Re: HiD/LED Headlight conversion for 90 & 92 Daytona  
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: Daytonas
1/4: 0.000

ChargedDust is keeping our cars running
I tried one conversion kit once, on a 2nd gen, kept blowing the bulbs because it didn't seal well and water would get in when they were down. Might work better with a 3rd gen.

As much as I hate to say it, because they seem kinda snake-oily, but the silver star bulbs work real well on the 2nd gens, yeah they're a bit expensive, but less than the HID conversions.

On 3rd gens you have to make sure your lenses are real clear or no conversion will work to it's full potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: SC/GLHS(2)/CSX
Engine: 2.2

ILIKESHELBYS is keeping our cars runningILIKESHELBYS is keeping our cars running
Silverstars! I think a true HID conversion will require the installation of a relay to actually drive the lamps as well as the needed tap into the harness to provide the needed power. The OEM wiring at the bulb connector is not sufficient to run a real HID setup. Well none of those that I looked into. HID requires ample current and draws a fairly high load. Check that ALT output as well. A 90AMP alternator would bemy suggested smallest alternator to use to drive true HIDs.

On my 87 Charger and 86 Omni I located the Hella glass replacement bulb housings and a replaceable H? style bulb. They are even brighter than the Silverstars, dont require arelay,andthey have a replacable bulb that you can interchange with virtually any color or brightness available in that bulb. I cant remember what H? the bulb is butI will look and post back.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Boostaholic

My Ride: '92 Shadow ES
Engine: 3 litre V6
Induct: N/A

55trucker is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has used a headlight conversion on their gen 2/3 Daytona. I drive a lot of highway at night and really want to see whats up ahead, and running in the ditch. I smoked a deer last summer in my VNT and see them far to often. Any preference of name brand/kits? Good or bad reviews? I hear some burn out quick...Thanks
Know where you're coming from, been there and totally understand *not being able to see what's in front of you*.
If your 92 (with the modular headlamps) suffers the same poor lighting that the Shadows and their modular lights suffer from you're not alone.
I did replace the headlamps as the aftermarket items are much cleaner than my original items. That did not solve the problem entirely. I installed Silverstars (wasn't happy), went to 55/100w 9004 bulbs, the highs were Great! but the lows still suffered from a lack of throwing the beam in front of the car where I wanted it. Then went to 80/100w bulbs, getting better, but, not enough, and 80w lows put extra draw on the charge system (near twice as much as the original 45w lows).
At this point I replaced the old fog lamps with a pair of h3 driving lights, this really improved the seeing ability when out on open non lit roads, but, in town I don't use the driving lights, so the urban roads still do not light up enough for my visibility with the headlights on.
So now I have installed HID's. It's a Bi-xenon 9004 kit. The 92 Daytona would not use a Bi kit as you have separate 9005/9006 bulbs.
NOW, I can see the road in front of me.....with the hid's one HAS to aim them properly or you'll get oncoming traffic flashing their lights at you. You keep them down and away to the ditch side of the road.
The ballasts are a high voltage output/low amperage design so there is less draw on the electrical system than a regular halogen bulb, the HID bulb are available in 35w & 55w, mine are 35w 5000k bulbs .
The kits do install relatively easy, they do come with what's necessary for a *near* plug & play install. If you decide to look for HID'S, you can get the kits domestically or offshore. There are two basic ballasts design, a *slim* all circuit board design or the larger older transistor ballast, I've found that the older large ballasts are more reliable than the new slim items. I've had two of the newer design go bad on me so I'm using the old design.
You WILL see where you're going with these, and that's the whole point, isn't it?

Old 02-11-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
Boostaholic

My Ride: 92.sdw.64.300.90.spt
Engine: 2.5 and 440
1/4: 12.300

mrglenn is keeping the peace
will have to check on this for my shadow and spirit.Hope it relieves some strain off of my headlight switch replace them once every two years
Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
TD New Guy

My Ride: 89 daytona ES turbo
Engine: '88 2.2L Turbo ll

Tmerritt is keeping the peace
I want to see someone custom fab a projector into their housing, maybe try on an already bad housing first...
Old 02-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
Das Beste Oder Nichts

My Ride: 92 Daytona
Engine: 2.5L T1

92TurboTona is ready to make a name for oneself
i have wanting to do this to my 92 daytona for a bit, and it sounds cheesy but what about the kits on ebay for like $50 or so
Old 02-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
Boostaholic

My Ride: '92 Shadow ES
Engine: 3 litre V6

55trucker is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TurboTona View Post
i have wanting to do this to my 92 daytona for a bit, and it sounds cheesy but what about the kits on ebay for like $50 or so
I personally don't have any issues about purchasing from a reasonable dealer on ebay, they are not all BAD. I chose an offshore location to get mine (keeping in mind that these are all manufactured offshore), the only reason I chose Asia is because of the exorbident shipping fees that the US suppliers were charging for the same item that the Asians were not, to get them to Canada.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #9
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 89 horizon

89horizon89 is keeping the peace
HID Lights | HID Kits | Xenon Headlights | HID Light Conversion Kit
Old 02-15-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 89 horizon

89horizon89 is keeping the peace
HID Kits - HID Lights - HID Headlights
Old 05-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
---SITE GUIDES---

My Ride: 95 acclaim, 04 F250
Engine: 6g72, 6.0 powerstroke

6g72 acclaim is keeping the peace
For more info, I have XENTEC hid kits in both my cars (6000k-stratus, 8000k Bi-xenon slims-acclaim). Both were plug and play other then mounting the balasts, but that's gravy. I've had them in the stratus for over 3 yrs now and have had no issues.

As far as power draw and frying wiring they won't because they have less draw then factory bulbs.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #12
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

ILIKESHELBYS is keeping our cars runningILIKESHELBYS is keeping our cars running
Has anyone tried or experimented with using standard housings Vs the projector style housings? I just added a 6000K HID setup from KenSun and the color is nice but Im not sure I like the projector style housings. It SEEMS like the non-projector housing actually cast a better light beam with better coverage. Are my eyes playing tricks on me?

I dont know enough about reflector design to know what I am really seeing. I was using H4 bulbs in a Hella reflector and they had a nice beam, I went w/the HIDs to go even brighter. THe color is brighter yes, but the pattern cast by the projector style housings/reflectors seems to have actually reduced the road visibility.

Has anyone tried one style (projector) then the other (non projector) with the HIDs?

This is the HID kit I purchased, easy install,works as advertised:
http://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Convers...=2OK1NR28MO9A7

These are the projectors I purchased:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00

These are the Hella lenses I was using:
http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-00342729.../dp/B0002M9QRE

NOTE: To install either of these lenses in my L-body I did have to remove the headlight bucket and trim the hole where the wires exit out the back side. The hole is OEM only open on the top, using some tin snips I simply made the hole go all the way around and they fit fine.

Last edited by ILIKESHELBYS; 06-13-2012 at 02:58 PM..
Old 06-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #13
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

OK, projector style headlamps and HID kits on an L-body totally SUX. I removed the projector style headlamp assemblies and went back to the Hella headlamp assemblies with the 6K HID color bulbs and IT ROCKS! Great balls of light! The H4 was a significant upgrade from the Silver Stars halogen(which are great BTW for a traditional halogen bulb) and the Silver Stars were a nice upgrade over the Wagner halogen...but the increase in bright from the H4 bulb to the newer HID was QUITE dramatic. I went back to the Hella reflector/headlamp assemblies and the beam is soooo much easier to see and to adjust just pointing at any large wall even without a headlight aiming tool. I was able to adjust them easily.

I did actually need to point them down just a tiny bit because the new HID light was going pretty far down the road and I didn't want to be beaming the person in front of me so bright they want to turn down the rear view mirror nor did I want to blind the on-coming cars because of the extra brightness.

The high-beam is totally like daytime and the HID w/these bulbs is casting out light like the Sun on a Summer day now. Its very impressive.

So my advice is that the HID system is a ton brighter at the 6000 (6K) light level than an H4 or Silver Star and there should be no need to go any higher like to 8K or 10K. I'd say totally stay away from the projector beam style headlamp assemblies, they seem to scatter the HID light so much that you actually get less distance w/the beam and it reduces your visibility below that of a standard Silver Star bulb. I know that is counter intuitive for a projector bulb and what I thought and read and was told...but that was my real world experience.

So use a standard *** approved or Euro headlamp assembly (the Hella works good in the Hi/Low single lamp) and a 6K light/HID bulb. The brand I selected was Kensun...they get good product reviews as well as outstanding customer and technical service reviews on Amazon. I chose the thin ballast units because of the space and mounting issues on an L-body, they seem to work fine.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
---SITE GUIDES---

My Ride: 95 acclaim, 04 F250
Engine: 6g72, 6.0 powerstroke

6g72 acclaim is keeping the peace
I have both 6 and 8k hids. The 8ks are just as bright, they just have a more blue/purple light. They are both excellent.

I've tried silverstars, I threw them in the garbage, my 10yr old factories were brighter.

I had high watt Nokya's, they are very good, but require harness upgrade. They're 80w low, 100 or 120 high.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #15
Garrett Booster

My Ride: Dodge Daytoa
Engine: 2.2 Turbo

Turbo_Z is keeping the peace
i just installed 10000 hid lights on my 89 daytona nd the kit all round ws 55 bucks plus the time to install it which was running the wires and 2 grounds and one positive....mega bright but i also have fake projectors that use h4 bulbs http://www.turbododge.com/forums/mem..._z-albums.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.