Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1990 Spirit Fog Lights

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  EvilcowRoland 
#1 ·
OK, this is my first real post here, and I'm guessing it's sort of a dumb question, so bear with me. :)

Is there a way to replace the fog light bulb, or is it a sealed unit? We have one that is out, and I'd like to get it taken care of, but the back of the lights don't appear to be designed to pull the bulb out.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Adam

#2 ·
Yes, the bulbs can be replaced. They come out through the bottom. Remove the 2 screws from the front and the mount slides off. Twist the bottom portion where the wires go in to remove the cap. Pinch the spring and remove it. Disconnect the wires inside the rubber grommet and unscrew the ground wire to the bottom of the bulb. Bulb is an H3.

#6 ·
There are 8 different manuals for 1990 FWD vehicles depending on the vehicle.
1)Engine/Chassis/Body (All)
2)Electrical/Fuel/Emissions (All)
3)Wiring Diagrams (All)
4)Powertrain Diagnostics (In your case 3.0L MMC)
5)Body Diagnostics (If equipped with a BCM)
6)Charging And Speed Control (All)
7)SRS Systems (All)
8)ABS (If equipped with ABS)

#7 ·
Cool! I had no idea. Thanks for the info - much appreciated! :thumb: I have two of them - picked up the Wiring Diagrams and the Engine / Chassis / Body manuals for $8.00 on ebay. :dancing: Not even a greasy fingerprint on them.

Question - how can I tell if our car has ABS? I suspect it doesn't, but would be good to know for sure. Also - what's BCM? Lost me with that one.

#8 ·
One other related question on the fog lights. Does anyone know where to get a set of the snap on fog light covers that came from the factory. If I recall, they were black and had the fox logo on them. They disappeared from the garage at some point over the years.

Adam

#12 ·
If you have ABS the Master Cylinder will be huge because it is a Hydraulic Control Assembly.
There will also be wires at each wheel for the ABS Wheel Speed Sensors.

BCM is Body Control Module.
It controls Headlamp Doors, Intermittent Wiper Function, Auto Rolling Door Locks, Illuminated Entry, Electronic Instrument Cluster Functions.
As far as I know it was only used on Daytona/Lebaron in 1990.

#14 ·
There are a few more electronic doodads and it's obviously fuel injected instead of carb'd, but the tech isn't really that far and away different from the stuff that came before it. Once you get a handle on how the engine computer does things, the rest is pretty straight-forward.

HSKR - Yes, they changed the fog light design on the AA bodies in the early 90's. They started off using the same Marchals as the Daytona and went to a slightly smaller-bodied version when they refreshed the exterior. I guess that was around '91 or '92?

A warning that may or may not help when you go looking for covers: Jeep Cherokees and Wagoneers used a Marchal designed light during that time period too and it looks almost identical, but it's slightly larger. The covers from those are easier to find but won't fit our lights unfortunately.

#16 ·
On a V6 Spirit, the timing belt/water pump job is a pain because of the giant mounting plate that covers all of it. If it weren't for that plate, it would be a piece of cake. I've done that tear down a few times now. I can have it all stripped off and ready for replacing in about 45 minutes. I'm sure some of the long-time 3.0 guys can do it faster. They know all the tricks. It gets a lot easier after you do it a couple times.

#17 ·
The tear down wasn't too bad. The biggest problem was that the brand new Napa waterpump I put on was bad out of the box - double the work. Plus I replaced the coolant tube etc., so I pulled the intake and cleaned out the inside areas really well - detailed etc.

#18 ·
Yeah, Napa is on my sh*t list. Last time I did the water pump on my '90 Daytona, went through 3 before I got one that didn't squeal or leak immediately after installing it. Then, I bought a "brand new" axle from them and it turns out it was a reman that got sold as new. Aaaaand, it was bad out of the box. Napa used to be my go-to for parts I didn't want to replace again. I guess that era is over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.