Installing an overhead console in an 88 Daytona - need plug for dash wiring - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Appearance > Interior

Interior Restoration or topics about the interior

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
Installing an overhead console in an 88 Daytona - need plug for dash wiring  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 90 DaytonaShelbyVNT
Induct: S/C
1/4: 0.000

Acem is keeping the peace
I am in the process of installing an overhead console in my 88 Daytona. Here is the process I have done so far.

1)Remove headliner (an entire topic in itself).

2)Install overhead console bracket.

3)Mark holes in headliner for console bracket and cut.

4)Build and install wiring harness

This is where I am stuck. I have a short section of the wiring harness from the donor car but not all of it. I need the plug that connects to the body harness on the right side of the glove box. The plug is an 8 connector rectangular plug with one 'tit' on the top of one side. It appears to be the same as the plug that connects to the console.

Where can I get one of these plugs? Where will I find one on a junk vehicle without digging through entire vehicles?

I have several donor vehicles available (none with an overhead console). 89 caravan, mid 90s cloud car, early 90s dakota, late 80s diplomat, 89 jeep cherokee. I can go to a junk yard if needed.

I need some help finding the connector.

Thx-Ace

PS: I have some other questions about this car that are included in another post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Re: Installing an overhead console in an 88 Daytona - need plug for dash wiring  
ENTER 4 APRIL COTM!

My Ride: 89 Daytona Shelby TT
Engine: 2.5 TII
Induct: Turbo

yellonoma is keeping the peace
The 8 pin connector for the overhead console, a matching one is used for wiring to the right door speaker, so it is somewhere under the right side cowl... according to the Factory service manual.

Shows a 10 pin connector for the overhead console also, closest (electrically) to the readout display, your not talking about this one? If so cars equipped with illuminated entry used a matching 10 pin connector un the right side cowl too. Only roughly about 1/4of Daytona's came with illuminated entry unfortunately so it is a bit rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
Das Beste Oder Nichts

My Ride: 92 Daytona
Engine: 2.5L T1

92TurboTona is ready to make a name for oneself
the connector is either on the passenger kick panel as i dont think they are like the 90 and newer daytonas which has the connector under the rear passenger speaker

they should be there regardless of if it came from the factory with it or not
Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
ENTER 4 APRIL COTM!

My Ride: 89 Daytona Shelby TT
Engine: 2.5 TII

yellonoma is keeping the peace
Oh yeah, forgot to say my post above is for 87-89 Daytona's and probably LeBaron
Old 01-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
Dr Doom

My Ride: RUSTY DODGES &FORDS
Engine: 86 T1

Dr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars running
your best bet of find your conector is to start looking at the plush new yorker K cars - they had more overhead consoles than any other model

that would get you the connector and the entire harness along with it

if you can't find the connector you need , you could scavange up something else with enough wireing passthroughs that could be spliced on in place of the o-e connector
- that's if you think you need to be able to disconect it at some time in the future
Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
TD New Guy

I searched through my wiring diagrams and it appears the same plug is used in the tail light harness of the Jeep Cherokee. The service manual I have is not the same year as the Cherokee I have parted out but I hope it still has the same plug. I will also go over to a friends shop and look at the wiring harnesses he has pulled from junk cars. He owes me money so I don't mind asking...

Would a overhead console wiring harness from a late 80's New Yorker work? Finding a harness from a Daytona or LeBaron would be next to impossible here but I might be able to find a New Yorker.

Thx-Ace
Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
Dr Doom

ya , I have a K car o-h console in the blue car below

you might wanna fold the harness over a couple of times and zip tie it - it's gonna be a bit long but it should work fine

a good alternative is the 87-89 le baron hard tops - they tend to have overhead consoles as a fairly common option
the electronic guts in the le baron console will also fit into the daytona console - so that route would also scoop some spare parts

but leave the body of the lebaron console behind - no need to pay for somthing that will never fit the profile of your roof

Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
TD New Guy

I got a plug from the minivan that happens to fit!!!. Now I am building the wiring harness. Man those wires are like 10ft long going from under the dash, along the right seat, up behind the door and over to the center...

Now I have to run the wires through tubing, solder, heat shrink (repeat last two steps several time), and install.

Thx-Ace
Old 01-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
Boostaholic

My Ride: 86 ghlt
Engine: 2.5 Intercooled Turbo

paulharbosky is ready to make a name for oneself
Acem clear your PMs. computer shipped tried to pm you a trk #
Old 01-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
Dr Doom

good to hear you found your connector
you'll like the console once it's in - as long as the compartment doors will stay shut

the corners of the doors are sharp - and stronger than they look lol

keep your eyes peeled for a le baron one though from the same years as your's - for spares

all the electronics will fit as I said before , but I just thought to add that all the parts except the body of the le baron console will fit your's
doors , map light switches , compartment door latches etc - it's good to have spares of the small stuff - especially the compartment door latches

a compartment door that automatically opens after every hard bump can make ya regret putting the thing in till it's fixed

Old 01-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: 1987 CSX # 376
Engine: 4cyl 2.2L

eurodaytona is keeping the peace
Glad to see my old console going to good use......looks quite time consuming getting installed, which is why i kept putting it off! Post some pictures when you get it all done, would like to see it.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
TD New Guy

Well I hit a snag. I came down with the flu. Now that I am better, my wife has it and she was in the middle of recovering the overhead console. So the interior of the car is gutted and scattered all over the house! Luckly she is so sick she doesn't mind.

I will get the project back rolling next week. I did get the wiring done (that was a chore). I used some wires from the dome light and the rest form under the dash.

Thx-Ace
Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
TD New Guy

Well I have hit another snag. I have the wiring done (I think) and hooked up the console wiring. I had to fix a wire on the key switch and now it powers up.

It displays all the possible character segments on the temperature/compas display. I don't have the temperature sensor installed yet so I understand the temp display being bad but not the compass.

The display does not dim when I turn the headlights on and adjust the dimmer.

Do I remember someone saying I needed to ground the wiring harness at the console? I used the ground that went to the overhead lights. Do I need to ground the wiring to the console bracket also?

What outside air temp sensors work on an 88 Daytona? My friend has a 90? minivan and a 2000 Dodge truck with overhead console junked out. Can I get them from the parts store? I looked at O'Riley's website and did not find it.

I need to get this working before I install the headliner!

Thx-Ace
Old 02-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #14
TD New Guy

I got the air temp/compass unit responding now. A wire for the air temp sensor must be grounded. I grounded it and it works ok now. The temp reads -31'F but I don't have a temp sensor installed.

The 90 minivan air temp sensor does not fit. Does anyone know what sensors interchange or where I can get one?

Thx-Ace
Old 02-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #15
Das Beste Oder Nichts

My Ride: 92 Daytona
Engine: 2.5L T1

92TurboTona is ready to make a name for oneself
should have worked but i would grab one from a 90 daytona or lebaron as thats where mine came from for my 92 tona
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.