Turbo Dodge Forums banner

RWD Tranny for your 2.2 / 2.5

100K views 197 replies 76 participants last post by  rustytoolss 
G
#1 ·
FYI

Everyone's known about the adapter plate for the 904 (727 would work too) to bolt to the 2.2/2.5. (Glen Smith's car -- the RWD Daytona). I know quite a few of us are using the Dakota 5-speeds to get hooked up on RWD platforms. An interesting post was made over on the Grassroots Motorsports list, and Greg Willams was gracious enough to share quite a bit of information that he has compiled for 5-speed options. The most interesting one is the '94-95 Dakota bellhousing mating to the '87-92 Toyota Supra Turbo tranny. That would give you a fairly bullet proof tranny . . . pretty cheap.

For me, I'm going to explore the limits of a '91 Dakota tranny for a while, but if (when?) I grenade this one it's nice to know there are a few different options.

G
#3 ·
He sent me a four part file with pics, part numbers, swap info . . . the whole nine yards. Very informative. It's wild to see how many interesting swaps can be made. I think one possibility was a Oldsmobile Aurora / Northstar engine for a manual . . .

#5 ·
???

I didn't know the 904 adaptor plates were available. I know about Glen Smiths website, but it still says they are under development. Is there a newer website? I will need one of these for my 2.5 DOHC Turbo Dak Project (yes, you read that right).

And, that is correct about the Supra trans/Dak bellhousing. The '92-95 Daks used the AX15 trans by Aisin Warner (a Toyota joint venture). Also, the Jeeps used the AX15 for quite a while (thru '01??).

#8 ·
I'd love to get my hands on a 2.4 RWD Jeep Liberty trans.

ahhh 2.4 turbo RWD neon.

#9 ·
Liberty uses the New Venture NV1500 behind the 2.4. Gear ratio's are all wrong and it's not all that strong so it's a waste of time. It does have a separate bellhousing though. If you've got some adventure in you, you could get one and figure out what it could be made to bolt up to! Maybe fabricate an adapter plate for a T5....

Greg

#10 ·
Think it would be weaker than a stock neon trans? People are running 10's with em. As for the ratios, going to RWD would open up a whole bunch of options, at least for final drive.

#11 · (Edited)
What about 250-300 WHP in a sub 2000 lb (maybe even sub 1500 lb) tiny 2 seat british sports car, like an MG midget?....what would it take to squeeze a 2.2/2.5 T2'ed under a cowl induction hood on a roadster like that?.. I am asking about drivetrain hardware options (must be a 5 speed) and then I could likely get a narrowed solid rear axle from something else (Mustang?)with a posi/LSD, and a custom driveshaft made. This is by no means a quick build idea..I am trying to create an affordable cobra kit car alternative with turbododge power.

#12 ·
Hmm it is possable to use the Fwd 2.2/2.5 in a RWD application. This is nice to know, Now i know what to use in a Kit car if i ever design/or build a RWD one :big grin: Omnivore i think i know of just the car for ya. gotta look up the info in one of my mags but i know that there are kit car versions of the Lotus 7 roadster out. Just the perfect use of a TD engine i think.

#14 ·
heh running with the idea of building kit cars with TD power and insulting groups. I had thought of the idea of converting my dead honda CRX into a mid engine street fighter with a little twist...Thats right instead of using a honda engine (wimpy little 1.5L 12 valve) I would use a 2.2L Chrysler Turbo 1 (older suck through type since that is more then enough power for a little CRX)

#15 · (Edited)
Or how about a Porsche 550 Spyder replica (James Dean's last ride) with a Shelby Z k frame and mid-engine 2.2 with a twin cam neon head on top?

G
#17 ·
Whaddabout the 833?

I've got an 89 Dak with the 2.5. Has anybody ever thought of using the good 'ol A833 4 speed? As long as you stay away from the aluminum o/d units, I'd bet it would be more than beefy enough for a 200hp t2 2.5. I just wouldn't feel right shifting a Supra tranny unless it was the only alternative. <shrug>

#18 ·
omnivore said:
Or how about a Porsche 550 Spyder replica (James Dean's last ride) with a Shelby Z k frame and mid-engine 2.2 with a twin cam neon head on top?
Oh hell yea that would be sweet! here is one to munch on how about dropping the engine out of a Porsche 914 and replacing it with the same engine that you suggested for the 550?

#19 ·
It'd be doable, but there's just something about that silver 550 Spyder on red leather......It's the sexiest car ever built!!...and in Kit form, the Chuck Beck ones only weigh 1280 lbs!!!....add 275 HP to that (in a mild state of tune at 10 psi of boost) and you'd have an unbeatable roadrace/auto x car!!

#20 ·
I'm thinking...

How's about a 65/ 66 mustang convert with a 2.5/ neon head intercooled/ versailes disc conversion/ aluminum driveshaft. I think these cars weigh in at 2600lbs with the all iron v8s. That would get the Ford guys panties in a bunch!

#21 ·
#22 ·
Greg55_99 said:
There's your Rear Wheel Drive kit.

87-92 Supra Turbo 5-speed and yoke

94-95 Dakota 2.5L bellhousing, throwout bearing, slave cylinder and fork

94-99 AX-15 Front bearing cover

You'll need a 21 spline clutch disk. Might be able to match up one from a Toyota V6 truck.

Greg
i thought the 2.5L belhousings where hard to find though...

#24 ·
my friend recently sold his mg, but that was the plan... the car had the wildest suspension and handled like it was on rails. i was itching to drop in an intercooled 2.2 but the body was awful and time was nonexistant. next stop... Turbo Samuraiiii :)

omnivore said:
What about 250-300 WHP in a sub 2000 lb (maybe even sub 1500 lb) tiny 2 seat british sports car, like an MG midget?....what would it take to squeeze a 2.2/2.5 T2'ed under a cowl induction hood on a roadster like that?.. I am asking about drivetrain hardware options (must be a 5 speed) and then I could likely get a narrowed solid rear axle from something else (Mustang?)with a posi/LSD, and a custom driveshaft made. This is by no means a quick build idea..I am trying to create an affordable cobra kit car alternative with turbododge power.

#25 ·
found quite a listing on that site BUT how do you tell which bellhousing is which? as stated in this thread there were 2 different types.

#26 ·
Greg55_99 said:
There are actually two different bells for the 2.2\2.5. Left is the A535, Right is the AX15. The AX15 bell is the correct one for this swap.

Greg
hmm, i guess just ask if the back of the bellhousing is rectangular or not

VERY interesting;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.