Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

-   Electrical (https://www.turbododge.com/forums/f280/)
-   -   My 1987 GLHS (https://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f280/1248203-my-1987-glhs.html)

wyghostown 08-28-2018 11:05 AM

My 1987 GLHS

Having issues with instrument panel when using rheostat on headlamp switch. When the instrument panel lights are turned up all the gauges including the tach go to maximum setting and buzzing occurs. When using without the headlights on the turn signals will cause a slight bounce in the gauges also. Headlamp switch has been replaced, new turn signal switch was tested, all grounds have been tested and an additional ground wire was installed without solving any issues. The thought is that the ECM is the problem however since it is not returnable changing it would mean additional expense which still may not solve the issue.
Thoughts or experiences with this issue?

2fast2dodge 08-28-2018 12:50 PM

Re: My 1987 GLHS

Have you replaced bulbs in the cluster recently?
Recheck the bulbs in there respective sockets, make sure the bulbs all connect to the correct surface pad, another issue could the the small voltage regulator, verify proper voltage.
Can you determine where the buzzing is coming from?
That would be a good place to try to narrow the focus of your concern (@ buzzing noise).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NAJ 08-29-2018 08:07 AM

Welcome To TD!!!

I have heard of other people having similar issues and it turned out to be a faulty headlamp switch.

Mopar #4221398
Mopar Parts | Order OEM Mopar Parts for All Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep Cars or Trucks 24/7
Old Part Number 4221398
New Part Number 56021898AC
Part Name SWITCH HEADLAMP
MSRP $80.00
Core $0.00
Online Price $57.60

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=43568&jsn=252

wyghostown 08-29-2018 09:41 AM

Headlamp switch has been tested with two different ones. As far as the brand neither were from Mopar. In both cases it made no difference.

wyghostown 08-29-2018 10:17 AM

No bulbs were replaced, voltage regulator was tested, buz or hum cause not yet determined

NAJ 08-29-2018 11:56 AM

Electrical "hums" are caused by electromagnetic fields causing a vibration in itself or another electrical component that is nearby.

My first thought would be a ground issue but you have stated they were tested.
I assume all cluster/dash grounds were verified to have less than 5 ohms resistance to the - battery?

If the grounds prove to be OK you will need to remove the cluster components/gauge clusters one at a time until you eliminate the noise then you can check that circuit/gauge for electrical issues.
Remove each one at a time