1989 Daytona C/S questions - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Discussing Shelbys Talking about numbered cars and other Shelby models

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1991SpiritES

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-27-2018, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
JAC
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

Question 1989 Daytona C/S questions

i have a red 1989 Daytona C/S, 2.5 ltr. W/snowflake wheels (silver). black C/S badges on the fenders behind front wheels and a TURBO badge in gold on the hood bulge. I can't seem to find any info other then a few pictures and a brief reference to AGB,AGS for that year. Most of the pic's I have seen don't show the snowflake wheels, hood bulge, turbo badge on the hood bulge or the C/S badges I am going to restore it and would like any info regarding the particulars of this model/edition. IE prod # ect. Thank you in advance for your help in this matter. JAC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-27-2018, 08:55 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.570

Re: 1989 Daytona C/S questions

Welcome To TD!!!

Unfortunately there were never any Daytona's modified by Shelby Enterprises, they only carried the Shelby name but are all factory cars.
Only the L-Body Charger/Omni and Shadow were Shelby modified/numbered cars.

The C/S on the Daytona stands for "Competition Sport", not Carroll Shelby.
This is from the 1990 Daytona Sales Brochure.

1989 Daytona C/S questions-90-daytona-sales-brochure-7-cs.jpg

1989 Daytona C/S questions-90-daytona-sales-brochure-8-cs.jpg

Take a look at my car for instance...
1990 Dodge Daytona "Shelby" Intercooled VNT with "C/S" stamped on the wheel center caps...
All Chrysler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1M-Happy 27th Birthday 1 9-25-16.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	252429  
post #3 of 7 Old 12-27-2018, 09:21 AM
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: '64 Dart
Engine: 371

I'd argue the "C/S" meaning. I do believe it is "Carroll Shelby", not "Competition Sport"! The CS package was first used on the '86 Daytona TurboZ, as a handling package that was "inspired by Carroll Shelby" per the early magazine articles. Motor week video review also refers to it as being an acronym for Carroll Shelby. (YouTube MotorWeek Daytona)

And no, these were not modified by Shelby's merry men in California, there are not real numbered Shelby vehicles. Carroll was very involved with the Gbody development though. His Daytona Superlite concept was essentially the preproduction concept for the "CS" package Daytona's. Light weight, all the performance hardware, none of the frills. The Superlite was a TurboZ, with no sound deadening or backseat, no power options, the then prototype Turbo2 engine, all the CS suspension parts, prototype rear discs, and 16"wheels. It even had a rollbar installed.

Get on shelby-dodge.com and do some reading. They have lots of magazine articles and brochures to read!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-27-2018, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger

89 CS should be the lightweight version of the daytona shelby or daytona turbo with no arep package on them

I think it came in a couple of versions , turbo or turbo intercooled

there's a fellow near me with a red one he bought new
and CS does indeed stand for carroll shelby . in the car is optioned with the CS suspension , wheel/tire package - THE CS option

there should be a couple of threads here on site about those cars with build numbers and lots of little info too
post #5 of 7 Old 12-28-2018, 10:51 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

Quote:
Originally Posted by vntned View Post
I'd argue the "C/S" meaning. I do believe it is "Carroll Shelby", not "Competition Sport"!
Right or wrong, I am only going by what I was told by the dealership when I bought my car in 12/89.

Last edited by NAJ; 12-29-2018 at 10:09 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-28-2018, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger

lol
actually that sales brochure might have a secondary explanation
by 90-91 shelby and dodge were having issues and dodge probably was already planing to let their deal with him end
thus his reference gets eliminated in the new sales promotions

note also the "CS" logo is actually shelby registered trademark all the way back to the '60's
- with the checkered flag and letters representing two lanes of a racetrack
THAT VERY DEFINITELY says "SHELBY"
post #7 of 7 Old 12-31-2018, 07:31 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 89 Lebaron GTS
Engine: 2.2 Turbo II

Since your Daytona C/S has the snowflake wheels on it, it's and AGB car, or C/S Performance Package. 2236 were built with the AGB package in 1989. It should be a standard 2.5 Turbo I in the car. The AGS cars in 1989 are C/S Competition Package cars, with the Crab wheels and the Intercooled 2.2 Turbo II. When I was 16 my neighbor had a red 1989 Daytona C/S AGB car and there was another one a couple of subdivisions away. One owner was in his 50's and the other guy was in his 60's. Both bought their cars new.
Reaper1 likes this.

Mike
87 Shelby Lancer #200
89 Lebaron GTS T2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page