Engine 1987 Dodge Daytona 3.8L V6 swap? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Chrysler V6 engines Discussion area for the 3.3 and 3.8 turbo and non-turbo

1Likes
  • 1 Post By GLHNSLHT2

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-08-2017, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

My Ride: 99 LHS
1/4: 0.000

1987 Dodge Daytona 3.8L V6 swap?

Hi, I'm thinking about going a different direction than I previously did. I'm eyeing a 1987 Daytona with the idea of swapping a 3.8L V6 & 41TE from 2001-2007 era Caravan. First of all, is it possible to swap this generation of these engine and transmissions in there (being that I know some have done 3.3L V6 swaps from 2nd gen Caravans)? Secondly, how expensive would it be to have this swap done (it would have to be done by someone else)? Thirdly, what would all be needed? Fourthly, about how much would it cost for the engine and transmission (would you go freshly rebuilt or chance a used one)? Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-08-2017, 07:47 AM
Legendary Driver

My Ride: 85 GLHT, 87 ShelbyZ,
Engine: 2.2 T2 and 2.5 T2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 13.882

Re: 1987 Dodge Daytona 3.8L V6 swap?

What model daytona? You'd get more power and better MPG potential sticking with a turbo 4 cylinder I believe. I dropped a 2.5 turbo shortblock under the the original T2 top end with a ported exhaust manifold on my 87 ShelbyZ. Later I installed a S60 turbo and 3" side exit exhaust and converted over to a flashable SMEC with wiring harness from an 88 ShelbyZ. Being able to tune it I made 200hp and 280-290ft-lbs of torque at 12psi which is stock boost for a T2 motor. I got 34 mpg around town and 40+ on the freeway and the car ran high 13's in the 1/4 after going to a factory 89 short throw shifter vs the 14.1's it was running before that. I installed a ported head, tube header and a modified plenum on top of a ported lower 2 piece intake and the car was much quicker overall. I was tuning it at 13psi before I decided to convert it back to stock and sell it for a 87 ShelbyZ hardtop instead of having a t-top. When I got the hardtop I decided instead of going to that motor I'd go with a 16v out of a Maserati TC so I've been doing that as life gets out of the way. The ported 8v head is going on a 2.2 and into my Shelby Lancer but I'm going with a ported and modified TBI header, GT30R turbo and a BMF intake manifold. I'm shooting for 30+MPG's around town and 400+hp on that motor. The 16v will have a 2.5 under it and should make 500+ easy.

The V6 can be done but even though it might make more power and torque out of the box I think you're limiting your potential and it'll be more expensive to do with worse MPG and worse handling because of the weight.
83scamp likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-08-2017, 07:54 AM
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Engine: 2.2
Induct: N/A
1/4: 17.200

Re: 1987 Dodge Daytona 3.8L V6 swap?

+1 to all of the above.

You will turn that car into a nose heavy turd trying to install that big V6, and wind up with a ton of money in a bad handling, slower, gas sucking car than if you just installed a turbo 4 cylinder.

I personally wouldn't waste my money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page