94 Lebaron GTC Scanner Question - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Chrysler V6 engines Discussion area for the 3.3 and 3.8 turbo and non-turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-02-2018, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

94 Lebaron GTC Scanner Question

I recently purchased an Actron CP9690 scanner to run some test on my 94 Lebaron but I kept getting a link error. After doing a ton of research and troubleshooting I was never able to get it to scan correctly. Someone told me that there are only certain scanners that will work with the Lebaron, but he wasn't sure which ones it was. Was wondering if any of you had any idea.

Just for an FYI, I tested the engine port with my meter and it was receiving power. I would plug it into the port and it wouldn't acknowledge the port and would keep giving me the prompt to plug in the scanner. I then tried the lighter plug option and it would start to run the scan but then come back with the link error.

I also tried the key option (on-off-on-off-on) but that only gave me the 55 code.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-03-2018, 09:41 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.570

Re: 94 Lebaron GTC Scanner Question

Welcome To TD!!!

I have never used an Actron scanner, however...
I was a Commercial Manager at AZ for 6 years after I retired from wrenching and they sold Actron products which I am sorry to say are not very good or reliable.

I have used an OTC Monitor 2000/4000, Snap On MT2500 and Chrysler DRB 2 on FWD Fuel Injected Chrysler vehicles from 84-94.
There is nothing special about a 94 Lebaron, it came with a 3.0L V-6 which was the same engine used previously in the Acclaim/Spirit, Daytona, LeBaron Coupe/Convertible, Shadow/Sundance.
84-94 Chrysler built FWD Fuel Injected vehicles all use the same style diagnostic connector.
(This does not include Mitsubishi built vehicles and Eagle, not sure about the early LH body cars)

You are basically stuck with two options...
1)Try another known good scanner (Other than a Actron) on your vehicle to see if it will communicate properly.
2)Try your Actron scanner on another 84-94 Chrysler FWD vehicle and see if it will communicate properly.

94 Lebaron GTC Scanner Question-electrical-diagnostic-connector.jpg

94 Lebaron GTC Scanner Question-img_new.jpg

Jan
1990 Daytona Shelby VNT

40 Years ASE Certified (Retired)
post #3 of 12 Old 12-03-2018, 09:43 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

Also, what tests are attempting to run?
Are you having starting and/or driveabilty issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-03-2018, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Thanks for the replies NAJ. I'll try out the OTC 4000. I can get one pretty inexspensive off EBAY.

As far as tests, I have a new transmission (it's still under warranty) but recently the car has been going into limp mode and I wanted to run some scans to see if it was something non-transmission related that I could fix myself, before taking back to the transmission guy. It's also good to have one to help diagnose any issues that might come up in the future. I have it running really good, except every once in a while it slips into limp mode when I'm stopped at a light, then hit the gas.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-03-2018, 12:20 PM
NAJ
Just A Guy

Not sure if the OTC Monitor 4000(e) will access the TCM or BCM in OBD1 vehicles.
If it does you will need the CCD Bus Cable and appropriate cartridge(s) to access the A604 TCM.
The TCM and BCM are not accessed through the underhood diagnostic connector but rather through the CCD bus connector under the dash.

I had access to all Chrysler scanners when I was a Chrysler tech, we use a Snap-On MT2500 at home which will access everything from early 80's through 2005 as long as you have the correct cables and software and I only used a Monitor 2000 back in the early 90's on my own car for engine control diagnostics.

94 Lebaron GTC Scanner Question-electrical-ccd-bus-diagnostic-connector.jpg

94 Lebaron GTC Scanner Question-trans-a604-fault-codes-1.jpg

94 Lebaron GTC Scanner Question-trans-a604-fault-codes-2.jpg

94 Lebaron GTC Scanner Question-trans-a604-fault-codes-3.jpg

94 Lebaron GTC Scanner Question-trans-a604-fault-codes-4.jpg

Jan
1990 Daytona Shelby VNT

post #6 of 12 Old 12-03-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

This is great info. I really appreciate it. Just a few more questions...I think:

1 - I was looking up the OTC 2000 but it didn't look like it had cartridges for a 94 Lebaron. So If I had a 98 Pathfinder cartridge, would that work with a 94 vehicle, or do I need a cartridge that corresponds with the year of the vehicle?

2 - with the 2000, does that access through the engine port or the same bus connector that you provided the outline for?

3 - do you know if the 2000 will provide TCM and BCM trouble codes?

Thanks again
post #7 of 12 Old 12-03-2018, 01:20 PM
NAJ
Just A Guy

The Monitor 2000 is engine only and the later models came with a 3-1 cartridge for Chrysler/Ford/GM
The Monitor 2000 cannot access the TCM or BCM.

From what I have read online either the Monitor 4000E (up to 95) or Monitor 4000E Enhanced (OBD1 and 2 with any applicable Pathfinder Cartridge) will be able to access the TCM and BCM but you still have to be sure you have the proper Chrysler CCD Bus Connector Cable/Adapter.

There is not much info out there on the OTC Monitors, this is all I was able to find.

OTC Monitor OBD Scan Tool Review

https://keswickkinsmen.ca/BOOK-ID/ot...e-users-manual

If you are planning on using this scanner for other vehicles you may want to look into a Snap On MT-2500 with all of the adapters.

Jan
1990 Daytona Shelby VNT

post #8 of 12 Old 12-03-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Thanks again. Your information was very helpful. I went ahead and purchased the MT-2500 with all the adaptors and cartridges. It was the same price as the Actron I just returned, so I wasn't out any money from one purchase to the other. I'll let you know how it goes once I run the diagnostic on it.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-04-2018, 09:47 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

Once you find out if any codes are stored if you need service info let me know.

My Son has a 94 Sundance 3.0L A604 and has repaired electrical issues with this trans numerous times, also he has had the trans apart 2-3 times.

I can tell you that the biggest issues are with the Solenoid Pack and the Input/Output Speed Sensors.

I relayed your issue to my Son and he said the very first thing you should do when you get the scanner is to perform a "quick learn" on the transmission.

Chrysler Transmission Reprogramming
post #10 of 12 Old 12-04-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Ok cool. Iíll let you know how it goes.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-09-2018, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Hi NAJ - did a scan after I did the Quick Learn that you suggested and got three codes:

36 Fault immediately after shift - couldn't find much info on this one online, so not sure about this one
56 Turbine Speed Sensor - I'm guessing this is one of the input/output speed sensors?
12 battery was disconnected - have no idea why this is showing up or what it means

Any advice on any of these?

Edit** - I actually just checked the trouble list you send me and see what the issues are. I'll take it to my transmission guy on Tuesday and have him fix these since it's still under warranty. Thanks again.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-09-2019, 11:21 AM
Garrett Booster

Induct: Turbo + Nitrous

When you see a code 36 immediately after shift, this indicates an internal issue.
Look at the speed ratio error for a direction to inspect holding member failure.
When a speed ratio error is accompanied by a code 36, it will almost 100% of the time indicate a hydraulic failure somewhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page