Srt-4 Neon/PTGT Cruiser Motors. - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
SRT4 forum and Turbo Dodge Tech Lounge Help and Discussion area for the for Neon and Caliber SRT4's

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 03-20-2009, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 87 GLHS #581, #582
Engine: 2.2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Srt-4 Neon/PTGT Cruiser Motors.

What are the differeces between the 2 motors? I know the intake is different, but what about accesories, exhaust mani, turbo location. What about internals are they the same bottom end. And is the head also the same. I am asking because I got a killer deal on the ptgt 2.4 turbo motor for my Glhs that I am putting the motor in. thanks for any help guys.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-21-2009, 12:54 AM

Re: Srt-4 Neon/PTGT Cruiser Motors.

well the srt engine is a A885 and the pt is a A883 so to tell the truth there is not alot of differences on both. the only reason the intake is diff on the pt is because the pt doesn't use an intercooler thats the reason it doesn't boost as much and ofcourse why its slower, but the other diff is that in 04-05 srt they came with stg1 pcm and injectors but as far as internals i'm not very sure but i would think they are diff because again stock the srt is boosting more than the pt
post #3 of 25 Old 03-21-2009, 03:08 AM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: '88 Shelby Z TII
Engine: 2.2 TII
1/4: 14.284

I'm fairly certain the "High Output" PT's had intercoolers. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure they ALL had them. That turbo is so small I think it would be a BAD idea to not have one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 03-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: CSX-VNT #91
Engine: Turbo IV / A555

all pt turbos used intercoolers. The intake is different because of packaging in the pt's tight engine bay.
post #5 of 25 Old 03-21-2009, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNH320 View Post
all pt turbos used intercoolers. The intake is different because of packaging in the pt's tight engine bay.
so otherwise the motor is exactly the same?
post #6 of 25 Old 03-21-2009, 09:25 PM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 85 GLHT
1/4: 14.000

yes.
post #7 of 25 Old 03-30-2009, 12:44 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: '04 PT Cruiser GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllwM&M View Post
well the srt engine is a A885 and the pt is a A883 so to tell the truth there is not alot of differences on both. the only reason the intake is diff on the pt is because the pt doesn't use an intercooler thats the reason it doesn't boost as much and ofcourse why its slower, but the other diff is that in 04-05 srt they came with stg1 pcm and injectors but as far as internals i'm not very sure but i would think they are diff because again stock the srt is boosting more than the pt
dude... really... learn a bit more about stuff before you post about it. not to flame or anything, but i don't think there's any single bit of correct information in your post, except that the PT GT is slower than the SRT-4

ALL turbo PT cruisers (BOTH the GT and the Turbo-Lite) have intercoolers, and the block, head, and turbo are the same as the SRT-4. neither the PT's OR the SRT's EVER came with the stage 1 pcm from the factory. in '03, the PT GT's and the SRT-4's both had small injectors, but 2004 + PT GT's had the stage 1 INJECTORS (not the PCM) like the srt-4's.

the difference, engine wise, between a PT GT and a Turbo lite--get this--is JUST the PCM. if you put a stage 1 computer on a turbo lite and a stage one on a PT GT, you'll end up with the SAME power.

The PT GT's actually boost essentially exactly the same as the srt-4, but i'm confident that the fuel tables are a little more aggressive in the srt-4.

to the OP, the PT GT motor will serve you well. what kind of accessories came with the motor? did you get the intake manifold and stuff, or just the engine and turbo?
post #8 of 25 Old 03-30-2009, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Turbofan View Post
dude... really... learn a bit more about stuff before you post about it. not to flame or anything, but i don't think there's any single bit of correct information in your post, except that the PT GT is slower than the SRT-4

ALL turbo PT cruisers (BOTH the GT and the Turbo-Lite) have intercoolers, and the block, head, and turbo are the same as the SRT-4. neither the PT's OR the SRT's EVER came with the stage 1 pcm from the factory. in '03, the PT GT's and the SRT-4's both had small injectors, but 2004 + PT GT's had the stage 1 INJECTORS (not the PCM) like the srt-4's.

the difference, engine wise, between a PT GT and a Turbo lite--get this--is JUST the PCM. if you put a stage 1 computer on a turbo lite and a stage one on a PT GT, you'll end up with the SAME power.

The PT GT's actually boost essentially exactly the same as the srt-4, but i'm confident that the fuel tables are a little more aggressive in the srt-4.

to the OP, the PT GT motor will serve you well. what kind of accessories came with the motor? did you get the intake manifold and stuff, or just the engine and turbo?
it is complete accesories, turbo, intake, exh mani, wiring harness. EVERYTHING
post #9 of 25 Old 03-30-2009, 04:04 PM
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisseytisga View Post
it is complete accesories, turbo, intake, exh mani, wiring harness. EVERYTHING
nice. what year is the engine out of?
post #10 of 25 Old 03-30-2009, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Quote:
nice. what year is the engine out of?
it is out of an 04
post #11 of 25 Old 03-30-2009, 11:48 PM
TD New Guy

good year.

however, i would recommend either getting your hands on an SRT-4 intake manifold or making your own custom one. the stock aluminum manifold that comes with that engine is one of the bigger reasons that the PT didn't make the same power as the SRT-4. as was mentioned before, it's that way because the srt-4 one won't fit in the PT's engine bay!

good luck with the swap, she'll be a beast!
post #12 of 25 Old 03-31-2009, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Quote:
good year.

however, i would recommend either getting your hands on an SRT-4 intake manifold or making your own custom one. the stock aluminum manifold that comes with that engine is one of the bigger reasons that the PT didn't make the same power as the SRT-4. as was mentioned before, it's that way because the srt-4 one won't fit in the PT's engine bay!

good luck with the swap, she'll be a beast!
thanks bro for the advice I will surely have a custom intake done(its gotta fit in an l-body)
post #13 of 25 Old 04-01-2009, 10:08 AM
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisseytisga View Post
thanks bro for the advice I will surely have a custom intake done(its gotta fit in an l-body)

the stock one is great for packaging, other than the fact that it sits on top of the motor making it a little taller (but it should still clear the hood!) but the flow isn't very good. it's great for torque, not so great for peak hp. on top of that, it goes right over the turbo, heating up the air that the intercooler just cooled... not quite the most brilliant idea.

good luck with everything!
post #14 of 25 Old 04-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Mr. Moderator

My Ride: 89 Shelby Daytona
Engine: 2.4l

I personally like the LSD in the srt4's. I know this is motor threAd but you all are comparing how fast the srt4 and of cruiser are traction is a part of that equation
post #15 of 25 Old 04-01-2009, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbokid View Post
I personally like the LSD in the srt4's. I know this is motor threAd but you all are comparing how fast the srt4 and of cruiser are traction is a part of that equation
havent figured out what trans i am gonna use yet but it is gonna be automatic. i want this car 500hp+ and in the 10's. i have plans to make this the fastest glhs on this planet. and the srt vendors give ample oppertunity with all the after market pieces. cuz sooner or later you realize our cars and the aftermarket stuff available pretty much hits a wall. and that to me is frustrating. i want options coming out my ears when i look for race parts!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page