SRT4 or Shelby Charger GLHS - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
SRT4 forum and Turbo Dodge Tech Lounge Help and Discussion area for the for Neon and Caliber SRT4's

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-27-2014, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

SRT4 or Shelby Charger GLHS

I'm in the process of selling my 5.0 mustang to go a different direction and I've always wanted an srt4 since they were released in 2003, but it never worked out for me to buy one. Once I sell my mustang I should have around $6500 or so to buy a used srt4. I also came across a nice Shelby charger glhs in good shape for $3000 as well. Could be a sweet project utilizing the $3500 I have left to buy parts for it. What direction would you guys go. A $6500 srt4 usually has around 75k miles to 125k miles, some modified, some stock, etc. It won't be a daily driver at all so I won't be piling mileage on it. I've heard the srt's are pretty reliable overall. Just possibly looking for some direction. I'm a dodge fan and these could either be fun cars to tinker with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-27-2014, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Re: SRT4 or Shelby Charger GLHS

I will add this to the equation as well

The charger would be registered historic and will have no emissions testing or inspections required whereas the srt4 will require inspection and emissions.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-27-2014, 10:20 PM
kills more cars than rust

My Ride: lancer
Engine: 2.5 .20 over
Induct: Turbo

Srt4. Newer car with more aftermarket support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-28-2014, 03:12 PM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 86 GLHT
Engine: 2.5L
1/4: 12.130

Funny
I sold my 92 GT to buy an SRT-4 back in 2004
Been a great car, I've done a few tasteful mods but I'm mostly
keeping it as a survivor
It's got just under 24,000 miles on it now
Last month I finally installed the Mopar Stage 1 lowering springs I bought back in 2008
and changed out the original tires, car handles awesome and rides as smooth as glass
It's like a new car again
If you buy an SRT-4, take your time with the purchase, try to find the most unmolested car you can, that will give you the least amount of problems
If the vacuum lines are missing and wires hacked up, it will be nothing but problems

86 GLHT
[email protected]

"04" SRT-4
20,817 miles
post #5 of 13 Old 07-28-2014, 06:39 PM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.5

Garage

^+1, but that's true of any used car. Find the one that's in the best condition for the money. The GLHS is lighter, but makes less power stock obviously. The engine can be just as reliable if maintained properly, but the parts are getting harder to come by. At least with the SRT4, there's still plenty of stuff out there and you have your pick of it. The GLHS is probably a little more of a collector car since they made less of them, but more people know what the SRT4 is so maybe it'll be easier to sell if/when you get to that point.

The GLHS can brought up to the level of the SRT4. But the dual cam setup in the SRT4 has greater overall potential.

-Brian

90 Daytona Shelby
96 Jeep XJ
post #6 of 13 Old 08-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 04 SRT
Engine: 2.4

I would go for the SRT, I connvinced my buddy to buy one earlier this year and he loves it.

he helped me put the turbo on my 3.0 daytona and it brought back memories of his 89 Ford Probe then he wanted another turbo car so steered him in the right direction to get a Mopar.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-09-2014, 08:20 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 87 GLHS Charger #521
Engine: 2.2 TII S60 w/.63ar

GLHS all the way!!!!!! Can't go wrong with a classic. Don’t get me wrong I love the SRT4, newer, better aftermarket, DOHC. In truth you can get everything for a GLHS as you can an SRT4, might not be the same brand or you may have to look a little harder to find what you’re looking for. If you like to work on your car then I say no brainer cause at this point a $3500 is gonna be a pretty good car but will still need some work or improvements no doubt, either in upgrades or rebuilding components. GLHS= #numbered# car, way more cool! IMOP. If you buy an SRT4, as fun and fast as you can make one, street beast, or full on race car, at the end of the day your still driving a "NEON". Just say! 2.4turbo GLHS now you’re talking!
post #8 of 13 Old 09-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: srt

You'll miss rwd, much easier to make a 10s mustang

I own both glh and srt4 and in stock form the Srt is more fun to drive

With a 3k budget the srt4 will be easier it find parts for and probably faster

I'd suggest spending a little more $4k on a glh Srt (or hybrid ) conversion

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #9 of 13 Old 10-11-2014, 08:03 PM
Super Pope

RWD is for folks not looking for too much excitement. I've done muscle cars for a long time, 80's long lol. My old 72 Challenger can be driven by my grandma and run 11s. Getting the GLHS in the 12s is exciting hair rising ride that is all over the place. So yeah you can get the big numbers pretty easy RWD but I think how much fun your having is more important.

The GLHS needs a ton of mods. Not exactly huge money but a ton of work. A clown can get the NSRT in the 12s with little effort. A great car for sure to go fast. A GLHS though is a brute with personality that more people love. You destroy some one in the GLHS and you get a thumbs up and they want to know about the car, people just want to shoot you in the NSRT lol.

Rob Walsh

84 DC Shelby Rampage
86 GLHS 76
89 CSX 187
92 2.5 Turbo ES Shadow Convertable
70 R/T SE Challenger, supercharged 340
05 PT GT
93 Cummins

post #10 of 13 Old 07-25-2015, 04:44 PM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 77 Celica Liftback
Engine: 2.4L Dodge 420a

I would go GLHS myself...well, maybe not GLHS, but a regular Omni, then swap in a SRT motor and trans...best of both worlds...could be done for abour $4k or so. What I would really love to do is find a plymouth sunbeam and do a SRT4 swap in it...that thing is square and boxy like an omni...but RWD from the factory and will have people guessing all day. Heb, its one of the things I love about my SRT4 powered Celica, keeps people guessing all day...if they correctly guess that its a Celica, they still get a WTF? Look on their face when I pop the hood.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-25-2015, 07:23 PM
Legendary Driver

My Ride: 85 GLHT, 87 ShelbyZ,
Engine: 2.2 T2 and 2.5 T2
1/4: 13.882

holy old thread.

That being said I was in this predicament too. But it was SRT4 or Shelby Lancer. The Shelby (GLHS or Lancer) will gain in value while the SRT4 is still dropping. That and my SL got 28MPG last tank vs the SRT4's getting around 20-22MPG. It's still stock. Once modified I'll get low 30's around town and 40ish on the freeway and still run 12's once the boost get's turned up.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-27-2015, 11:10 AM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 77 Celica Liftback
Engine: 2.4L Dodge 420a

Ah, but the SRT wont drop in value forever, and it will start to rise again down the road, but you are correct in that down the road anything with the Shelby name on it will be worth more.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-06-2018, 02:25 PM
TD New Guy

My Ride: P.O.S not what I wan

Hi All ,
Has anyone done a str-4 motor swap into a Glhs, ?
Is there a need for it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page