Turbo Dodge Forums banner

useing the Stock DOHC cam/crank sensor w/ megasquirt v3

10K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  ZoskalonMPI 
#1 ·
I was reading up on the megasquirt v3 and i saw that i can use the stock crank possition pick up sensor on the end of the cam. can i put that sensor to use in conjunction with the stock distubtuer/coil or would i have to convert to a coil pack?

what's your guy's take on this?

This post has been deleted
#12 ·
Sorry, I'm totally confused. If you make a hybrid and MS it, can you use the stock HEP signals to fire the coilpack? Wouldn't that be so much easier? You could use the stock intake manifold and have clean, supershort plug wires. Or am I missing something?

#15 ·
You cannot use a turbo distributor with MS (yet).
You can use a TBI distributor, but without the ability for DIS.
You can use 2.4 sensors with the -Extra versions of MS, but you need crank as well as cam.
You can mount a sensor ring somewhere and use the wheel decoder/EDIS options.

#16 ·
So what you're saying, is that I should just cut the manifold and stick to the distributor. ;)

But if you can't use the HEP, how does MS know when to fire the injectors?

Can someone just finally state, without the BS, everything needed to run the ignition and fuel injection on a hybrid using the distributor? :bang head Ok, distributor distributes spark, but does MS read off when to spark from the HEP or would I need like a cam sensor also? Does the HEP send the signal directly to the ignition coil to fire? The turbo HEP has two sensors, one for spark, one for fuel, can MS read any of those?

Or do people running the distributor just run a calibrated ECU? Can you use a distributor at all with MS or does it have to be distributorLESS? I'd really appreciate any enlightenment, thanks guys.

#18 ·
Ok, EDIS system sounds like the best option. Time for lots of googling :thumb:

#21 ·
I dont have MS so I'm not up on the MS stuff, but EDIS is Fords distributor less setup they use, its a toothed wheel for the crank and a sensor to read it.

Most standalones dont use a cam sensor so you dont need one, and I'm not real sure how changing the cam timing would effect it(also people that use a dist on the head)

If you search there a couple pics on here of how people have mounted the toothed wheel to a TD crank pulley

This post has been deleted
#29 ·
You mounted that to the A/C belt tensioner pulley bolt holes?

And even if you weld in on by hand, can't you round it off in a lathe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.