To use or not to use...(flat top pistons) - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Carburetted and TBI Injected Feel free to discuss any subject that is specific to these cars, including but not limited to: modification, tuning, repair, parts replacement, identification and restoration. This is the place to talk about ALL-MOTOR performance and MPI conversions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-22-2016, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

To use or not to use...(flat top pistons)

OK guys, quick question that a search did not give me a clear answer. My son and I are building his first car. It is an 93 Shadow. The block could use some work so while it is at the machine shop I am thinking of installing flat top pistons for him. I know TBI motors will never be drag racers but I wouldn't mind giving him just a little more pep in his 2.5. Would you guys recommend flat top pistons for him? Or would just shaving the head some do just as well? Really, I have no issue leaving it bone stock, I am really just curious if the extra hundred bucks would be worth it or not.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-22-2016, 02:40 PM
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Engine: 2.2
Induct: N/A
1/4: 17.200

Re: To use or not to use...(flat top pistons)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canty13 View Post
OK guys, quick question that a search did not give me a clear answer. My son and I are building his first car. It is an 93 Shadow. The block could use some work so while it is at the machine shop I am thinking of installing flat top pistons for him. I know TBI motors will never be drag racers but I wouldn't mind giving him just a little more pep in his 2.5. Would you guys recommend flat top pistons for him? Or would just shaving the head some do just as well? Really, I have no issue leaving it bone stock, I am really just curious if the extra hundred bucks would be worth it or not.
Thanks
I don't think you will notice the difference. Plus, with the swirl head, you may need to put valve notches in the flat tops, plus possibly run premium fuel due to the increase compression...

I'd save my money and look for a turbo parts car, and just do a turbo swap...
post #3 of 13 Old 09-22-2016, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Nope. Turbo is not an option. He is only 16 and I do not want him learning to drive with a turbo car. However, thanks for the advice on the pistons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-22-2016, 10:10 PM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: Ram HFE/Omni/SL/XR7
Engine: 2.5 TII .60/.63 2-piece SRT4 IC SMEC no B/S ;)
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 13.800

the h.o. n/a carby motors had the block milled a smidge for a CR bump..

but yeah mill the head or block,,

increase CR = increase efficiency = increase HP & mpg

if yu go more than 0.3 -0.5 pts you should really get into 'tuning' to play with the spark & fuel curves,
then yu could 'free up' a few more Hp maybe
post #5 of 13 Old 09-23-2016, 06:51 AM
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Engine: 2.2
1/4: 17.200

Quote:
Nope. Turbo is not an option. He is only 16 and I do not want him learning to drive with a turbo car. However, thanks for the advice on the pistons.
No problem. I understand that, my son wanted my Daytona last year(until I swpped it from an auto to 5-speed ). And there was no way that was happening. Don't need that temptation for a 16 year old...

Quote:
Originally Posted by detobias View Post
the h.o. n/a carby motors had the block milled a smidge for a CR bump..

but yeah mill the head or block,,

increase CR = increase efficiency = increase HP & mpg

if yu go more than 0.3 -0.5 pts you should really get into 'tuning' to play with the spark & fuel curves,
then yu could 'free up' a few more Hp maybe
Absolutely correct. The engine in the Scamp is an N/A motor and I decked the block .030" & the head .015". Got me to 10:1 compression. But I had to back off timing, and re-jet the carb. It still has the original flat tops in it, and I didn't need to notch them, BUT, it had a 445 G head on it, and the valves sit deeper in the chamber than a later swirl head. OP may be fine, but he needs to check clearance while re-assembling the engine. I was offering up more of a warning than anything. Guess I should have worded my response a little better...

83 Scamp GT COTM APRIL '14
89 Daytona ES turbo, Daily driver
post #6 of 13 Old 09-23-2016, 09:04 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1986 Daytona Turbo Z
Engine: 2.2L 4 Cyl 135 c.i.
1/4: 999.999

Quote:
UM excuse me sir!!! im 17, and i drive a TURBO car! got when i was 16! its an 86' Turbo Z Auto. Theres nothing wrong with having a turbo! way better for the highway i find too!
post #7 of 13 Old 09-23-2016, 10:54 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 83 Scamp
Engine: 2.2 w/ a carb
1/4: 21.500

All depends on the idgit behind the wheel. I can say that because I was a true idgit into my 20's.
A four banger Vega got me into plenty of stupidity opportunities.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-23-2016, 05:46 PM
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: 84 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.2L
Induct: S/C
1/4: 0.000

Man, if you wanted to be a COMPLETE IDJUT, like an old friend of mine back in the 70's, just drop a 350 in it...then add NO2!! That beater-looking Vega was a true sleeper back then. Guy was tall, skinny and had a blonde afro, we called him Q-Tip. 😀 Took me out in the country on a straightaway and opened it up. It shook so hard thought it was going to fall apart before he shut it down! 😲 He wound up gutting the interior and welding in some reinforcements to the frame and doors. Let's just say the tank wasn't always in the back....😨

I see so many young guys riding crotch rockets, with no helmet wearing a t-shirt and shorts, hauling azz weaving in and out of traffic popping wheelies. THAT'S REALLY SCARY!!
post #9 of 13 Old 09-29-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrJ86 View Post
UM excuse me sir!!! im 17, and i drive a TURBO car! got when i was 16! its an 86' Turbo Z Auto. Theres nothing wrong with having a turbo! way better for the highway i find too!
There is NOTHING wrong with a turbo car. And one day you will understand why I, as a father, won't allow my son to start learning in a turbo car. Let him get use to driving THE RIGHT WAY, then we can drop in one of our turbo motors. Nothing against you Mr. 17, but I am just a protective father who has to pay the insurance on my sons car (turbo adds $$$).
post #10 of 13 Old 09-29-2016, 06:09 PM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 86 Shelby Charger
Engine: 84 Rampage 2.2 Prospecter

You can achieve about 170 to 180 psi on a 2.5 by just cutting the head level to the maximum cut square on the bottom of the head. If you cut head this much you will need a shorter timing belt. I have several of the short race belts made by Mopar performance. Another way to tighten the belt is to sleeve the timing belt idler to tighten the belt more. I have some of these special idlers too. Some people use a Volvo timing belt which is the right length but a little narrower.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-29-2016, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

If I go the Volvo TB route, could you tell me what year and motor to look for? I'd rather use a MP belt but the Volo info would be good to know. Also, would you part with one or two of those MP belts?
post #12 of 13 Old 09-30-2016, 08:46 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 86 Shelby Charger
Engine: 84 Rampage 2.2 Prospecter

Attributes

# of Teeth: 124
# of Teeth: 124
Belt Length: 46.5" (1181 mm)
Belt Tooth Pitch: .375" (9.5 mm)
Belt Top Width: .972" (25 mm)
Timing Belt Teeth Type: Trapezoidal (I)
Timing Marks: No
UNSPSC: 26111811

*Attributes
Volvo 2.3

# of Teeth: 123
# of Teeth: 123
Belt Length: 46.125" (1172 mm)
Belt Tooth Pitch: .375" (9.5 mm)
Belt Top Width: .75" (19 mm)
Timing Belt Teeth Type: Trapezoidal (I)
Timing Marks: Sí
UNSPSC: 26111811

*Both have trapezoid teeth. Your 2.5 will have round teeth. I think people used this Volvo belt on the early 2.2 with trapezoid teeth. I always used the Mopar belt and never tried the Volvo belt. You would have to change cam' intermediate' and crank gear to use the Volvo belt. The larger idler pulley will work with your factory belt.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-03-2016, 05:39 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 86 GLHT
Engine: 2.5L
1/4: 12.130

FYI
Cam timing is different between square and round tooth gears.
Going from a square to a round tooth cam gear retards the cam, and vise versa.
You would have to change the cam to a square tooth cam, which is not a big deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page