Tach with Deleted Spark Computer - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Carburetted and TBI Injected Feel free to discuss any subject that is specific to these cars, including but not limited to: modification, tuning, repair, parts replacement, identification and restoration. This is the place to talk about ALL-MOTOR performance and MPI conversions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-04-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

My Ride: 1986 GLH
Engine: I4 2.2l
Induct: N/A
1/4: 0.000

Tach with Deleted Spark Computer

Hi,

Quick question... I'm going through the process of deleting the old spark computer in my carb'd GLH and am wondering how get a signal to the tach without the spark computer, which supplies it. Can I run a wire from the negative post on the coil to the bulkhead/tachometer? Could it/would it/might it be so simple?

p.s. I want to keep stock tach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-05-2017, 06:09 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.570

Re: Tach with Deleted Spark Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
Hi,

Quick question... I'm going through the process of deleting the old spark computer in my carb'd GLH and am wondering how get a signal to the tach without the spark computer, which supplies it. Can I run a wire from the negative post on the coil to the bulkhead/tachometer? Could it/would it/might it be so simple?

p.s. I want to keep stock tach
What year is this?
According to my wiring the tach is supplied a signal from the - coil on the carbed cars so doing away with the Spark Control Computer should have absolutely no affect on tach operation.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-05-2017, 06:26 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

Just looked at your profile and saw the car is an 86 which is not directly from the - coil to cluster.

- Coil runs to the SCC Connector 1/Cavity 1 and the Tach Signal comes from Connector 2/Cavity 4.
The controllers on the injected cars use a different type of signal to operate the factory tach and that tach will not operate correctly connected directly to the - coil nor will an aftermarket tach operate correctly connected to the controllers tach signal.

Does that hold true on the carbed cars?

Either run a jumper wire from the - coil to BH connector cavity #31 and see what happens or wait for someone that has done this to reply.

Jan
1990 Daytona Shelby VNT

40 Years ASE Certified (Retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-05-2017, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ View Post
What year is this?
According to my wiring the tach is supplied a signal from the - coil on the carbed cars so doing away with the Spark Control Computer should have absolutely no affect on tach operation.

Thanks Jan,

looking up the part numbers and found the TACH is the same in both the 84 and 86 rallye clusters (part # 4051 833)...

so THEORETICALLY, if the 84 has a coil-to-tach reference signal, then the same signal should work in my 86....

Jan, back to you again... could you scan the TACH wiring diagram and any associated pages from the 84 FSM? I have the 86 FSM and would like to compare....

Cheers,
Dominic
post #5 of 11 Old 05-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Engine: 2.2
1/4: 17.200

Quote:
Thanks Jan,

looking up the part numbers and found the TACH is the same in both the 84 and 86 rallye clusters (part # 4051 833)...

so THEORETICALLY, if the 84 has a coil-to-tach reference signal, then the same signal should work in my 86....

Jan, back to you again... could you scan the TACH wiring diagram and any associated pages from the 84 FSM? I have the 86 FSM and would like to compare....

Cheers,
Dominic
84 & 86 should be the same. 84 is when Chrysler made the big wiring change to the L-body. New dash, new cluster, new interior harness, etc.. My 83 uses the coil - for tach pickup, so it's easy to wire. But I don't know about the 84+. Since the carbed spark computer is a pretty simple controller compared to the turbo stuff, I would doubt they do much for signal conditioning, but you never know.

I would have to look in my 83 FSM to see if they show the tach pickup going to the ECU or to the coil. My 83 had a standard gauge package when I bought it, and I converted it to a Rallye cluster, so I just hard wired the tach to the coil.

83 Scamp GT COTM APRIL '14
89 Daytona ES turbo, Daily driver
post #6 of 11 Old 05-05-2017, 01:50 PM
NAJ
Just A Guy

The wiring i have is not from the FSM.
I will send you what i have through PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-05-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ View Post
The wiring i have is not from the FSM.
I will send you what i have through PM.
Thanks Jan!

Got 'em!

you remind me that I need to reinstall Mitchell OnDemand on my laptop....
post #8 of 11 Old 05-05-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
84 & 86 should be the same. 84 is when Chrysler made the big wiring change to the L-body. New dash, new cluster, new interior harness, etc.. My 83 uses the coil - for tach pickup, so it's easy to wire. But I don't know about the 84+. Since the carbed spark computer is a pretty simple controller compared to the turbo stuff, I would doubt they do much for signal conditioning, but you never know.

I would have to look in my 83 FSM to see if they show the tach pickup going to the ECU or to the coil. My 83 had a standard gauge package when I bought it, and I converted it to a Rallye cluster, so I just hard wired the tach to the coil.
Question: What year Rallye did you install, the newer 84-up (tach & fuel gauge combo) or the older 83-style (tach & warning lamp)?

Thanks,
post #9 of 11 Old 05-05-2017, 02:22 PM
NAJ
Just A Guy

Quote:
Thanks Jan!

Got 'em!

you remind me that I need to reinstall Mitchell On Demand on my laptop....
I do not have access anymore, lost that in 2010, good thing I printed, scanned and saved all of the many years of TD wiring to my computer and two flashdrives over the years.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-05-2017, 04:11 PM
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Engine: 2.2
1/4: 17.200

Quote:
Question: What year Rallye did you install, the newer 84-up (tach & fuel gauge combo) or the older 83-style (tach & warning lamp)?

Thanks,
I installed an 83 cluster. My goal to make it look correct. 84+ won't go in earlier cars without the harness. They changed all the connectors.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-05-2017, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Aww... That answer fills my heart with sadness...

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page