85ish TBI lifters, springs, etc... - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Carburetted and TBI Injected Feel free to discuss any subject that is specific to these cars, including but not limited to: modification, tuning, repair, parts replacement, identification and restoration. This is the place to talk about ALL-MOTOR performance and MPI conversions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 Old 03-03-2018, 05:56 PM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS
Engine: 2.2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Re: 85ish TBI lifters, springs, etc...

"I tried installing the recommended PT lifters and noticed something was off as soon as I attempted to restart the engine. Out of curiosity I took a micrometer to the old lifters and the new ones, including shims. They are about .037 off. The old ones are 2.042" and the PTs are 2.005". Any advice? I'm not blaming the site I bought them from, but I AM frustrated nonetheless. I even checked four of the eight on each. Then I just swapped the originals back in and she fired back up."

You didn't give us much to go on in your description regarding what was 'off' after your PTLifter installation and your first attempted re-start, so we don't know if it was missing, didn't start at all, was making noise, how long you ran it, if it was ticking, etc. But we can say that the standard PT Lifter & shims mod is being run on probably hundreds of cars w/o issue. From experience I can offer the following:

1. The shims have a top and a beveled bottom side. They are installed with the beveled side down, did you install them correctly. There is an installation FAQ for PT Lifters and shims available at:

Installing PT Lifters

...is this the installation technique that you followed?

2. The OEM and the PT Lifters are hydraulic, they do not all function immediately and very often will take several seconds to more than a minute to fully charge and pump up...so you have to run the engine for a bit. There is also a check valve in the lifter and if the lifter was previously used, you must release the check valve to compress the lifter before installation. There is a youtube that describes the various methods to bleed your lifters:

3. Being hydraulic lifters also means that their working height is (somewhat) variable, they adjust to the proper length needed as long as that length is not outside it's pintle intended travel parameters.

4. There is a detailed installation video available on the FAQ mentioned above, or you can view it directly on YouTube at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=kBT8v11cOIw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 Old 03-10-2018, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

My Ride: 83 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.5 153cc

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKESHELBYS View Post
"I tried installing the recommended PT lifters and noticed something was off as soon as I attempted to restart the engine. Out of curiosity I took a micrometer to the old lifters and the new ones, including shims. They are about .037 off. The old ones are 2.042" and the PTs are 2.005". Any advice? I'm not blaming the site I bought them from, but I AM frustrated nonetheless. I even checked four of the eight on each. Then I just swapped the originals back in and she fired back up."

You didn't give us much to go on in your description regarding what was 'off' after your PTLifter installation and your first attempted re-start, so we don't know if it was missing, didn't start at all, was making noise, how long you ran it, if it was ticking, etc. But we can say that the standard PT Lifter & shims mod is being run on probably hundreds of cars w/o issue. From experience I can offer the following:

1. The shims have a top and a beveled bottom side. They are installed with the beveled side down, did you install them correctly. There is an installation FAQ for PT Lifters and shims available at:

Installing PT Lifters

...is this the installation technique that you followed?

2. The OEM and the PT Lifters are hydraulic, they do not all function immediately and very often will take several seconds to more than a minute to fully charge and pump up...so you have to run the engine for a bit. There is also a check valve in the lifter and if the lifter was previously used, you must release the check valve to compress the lifter before installation. There is a youtube that describes the various methods to bleed your lifters:

3. Being hydraulic lifters also means that their working height is (somewhat) variable, they adjust to the proper length needed as long as that length is not outside it's pintle intended travel parameters.

4. There is a detailed installation video available on the FAQ mentioned above, or you can view it directly on YouTube at:

I followed the installation directions word for word. Bevel side down and everything. The car cranked but would not fire at all. It acted deprived of air which would make sense if they were short. The overall height was what was off. Using a micrometer on the PT lifters plus shims vs the old lifters. Checked more than just one to make certain.

What makes me more sure that it's something I am doing is that we tried swapping them into my friend's 86 Daytona T1 and the exact same thing. 0.037" short. I realize that hundreds of other people are running them, which is why I am here asking for help.

Now I wasn't aware of releasing any check valve, but I still feel like something isn't adding up. I definitely cranked it long enough.
post #18 of 22 Old 03-21-2018, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage

Does anyone have any further input on this? Maybe someone has micrometer or caliper measurements of the overall length and individual length of the PT lifters and shims. I mean two different cars, one turboI, one TBI, both off by the same amount... You would think maybe something is off with what I was provided or I'm just missing something. I've followed all the steps though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 22 Old 03-21-2018, 05:43 PM
Boostaholic

dumb question.
Are you using the shims that you ordered with the used lifters?
Are you using two shims per hole?

mine fired up and worked great.
post #20 of 22 Old 03-21-2018, 07:10 PM
TD is love, TD is life

Sounds like Wes Henderson's cam timing is off.
post #21 of 22 Old 03-21-2018, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterjr3333 View Post
dumb question.
Are you using the shims that you ordered with the used lifters?
Are you using two shims per hole?

mine fired up and worked great.
Yes, the shims I ordered that came with the lifters. The shims are thicker than .037 and I wasn't aware of doubling them up. Maybe doubling up will let the lifters adjust down the difference? I mean... Anyone know what the total shim thickness should be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
Sounds like Wes Henderson's cam timing is off.
It can't be the timing. Two engines, both just had timing jobs that run with the stock lifters but not with the PTs.
post #22 of 22 Old 03-21-2018, 11:07 PM
TD is love, TD is life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Henderson View Post
I mean... Anyone know what the total shim thickness should be?
It's in the video.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page