83 Scamp 2.2 Carb - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Carburetted and TBI Injected Feel free to discuss any subject that is specific to these cars, including but not limited to: modification, tuning, repair, parts replacement, identification and restoration. This is the place to talk about ALL-MOTOR performance and MPI conversions.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By detobias

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-10-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Level 4 Supporter

My Ride: 93 Duster
Engine: 181 3.0 V6
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 12.700

83 Scamp 2.2 Carb

I have an 83 Scamp with the 5220 carb i believe is the correct one. i have this thing alive and running. however, barely it seems. the idle has a noticeable intermittent miss but it will stay alive. just seems to run rough. i can put it in gear and it seems to do ok, but whenever i apply load to it it wants to stall out and die. having said that, if i kind of feather the gas a little and power into it itll start to drive. light loads it does ok. but on hills it just wants to die. in park or neutral if i floor it, it kind of has a little hesitation but then shoots through the rpm no issues. of course the miss is there slightly but ill go to limit no problem. i have checked to see if the accel pump is working and im getting the drips when i throttle on. i have built many cars, and tuned megasquirt. but i am a product of my generation and have only basic knowledge of carb funtion lol. hopefully someone here can point me in a direction of known issues with these particular setups? at this point im assuming bad fuel pump. i have noticed when it is running there seems to be accumulation on top of the pump itself... but when i disconnect the fuel line, it seems to be pumping fuel in pretty strong.

i have been through a good chunk of the carb forum and haven't really ran into anything quite like my problem. closet thing i could find was people suggesting issues with the accel pump and the secondary? which i have no clue how to check both. so any knowledge and insight would be phenomenally appreciated here guys, thanks in advance !

Another one bites the Dusta!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-10-2019, 07:29 PM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 83 Rampage Base Carb
Engine: 2.2
1/4: 0.000

Garage
Re: 83 Scamp 2.2 Carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.shred View Post
I have an 83 Scamp with the 5220 carb i believe is the correct one. i have this thing alive and running. however, barely it seems. the idle has a noticeable intermittent miss but it will stay alive. just seems to run rough. i can put it in gear and it seems to do ok, but whenever i apply load to it it wants to stall out and die. having said that, if i kind of feather the gas a little and power into it itll start to drive. light loads it does ok. but on hills it just wants to die. in park or neutral if i floor it, it kind of has a little hesitation but then shoots through the rpm no issues. of course the miss is there slightly but ill go to limit no problem. i have checked to see if the accel pump is working and im getting the drips when i throttle on. i have built many cars, and tuned megasquirt. but i am a product of my generation and have only basic knowledge of carb funtion lol. hopefully someone here can point me in a direction of known issues with these particular setups? at this point im assuming bad fuel pump. i have noticed when it is running there seems to be accumulation on top of the pump itself... but when i disconnect the fuel line, it seems to be pumping fuel in pretty strong.

i have been through a good chunk of the carb forum and haven't really ran into anything quite like my problem. closet thing i could find was people suggesting issues with the accel pump and the secondary? which i have no clue how to check both. so any knowledge and insight would be phenomenally appreciated here guys, thanks in advance !
I'll try to help in any way that I can. I have a '83 Rampage with the 5220 carb also.

You said that there is an accumulation on top of the fuel pump. Is it gasoline? If so then it must be leaking from around the seal of the pump body & lower inlet/outlet part. You should go ahead & change it out for $15. Don't forget to grease the sucker before it's installation.

But you also said that it's pumping fuel in pretty strong. Try the following:

Make sure fuel filter is new & hooked up correctly.

There might be an inline filter in the carb where the fuel line hooks up. Mine didn't have one.

Vacuum leaks can cause havoc on these carbs. Vacuum hoses ok? Is the carb & it's isolator tightened down good on top of the manifold? No issues with the EGR valve or vapor canister?

Check the air horn (top part) on the carb. Overtightening the 2 wingnuts that hold the air cleaner assy. on can warp the air horn. Mine had a slight warp to it & when I rebuilt my carb, I was able to flatten it enough where the gasket sealed it (C clamps, steel bars & sheet of sandpaper on a table top then a lot of cussing & a lot of sweating). It's cast aluminum so one needs to be careful not to break it.

If there are issues going up a hill there very well might be a problem with the float. Over time they absorb fuel & aren't as buoyant as they should be. You could try just replacing the float but I'd go ahead & get a carb rebuild kit. A 5220 being a 2 barrel isn't too difficult to do. Heck, I did it!

Take care of that Scamp! Not too many of them around.

Any other questions just let us know...
post #3 of 11 Old 07-10-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Level 4 Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John83Rampage View Post
I'll try to help in any way that I can. I have a '83 Rampage with the 5220 carb also.

You said that there is an accumulation on top of the fuel pump. Is it gasoline? If so then it must be leaking from around the seal of the pump body & lower inlet/outlet part. You should go ahead & change it out for $15. Don't forget to grease the sucker before it's installation.

But you also said that it's pumping fuel in pretty strong. Try the following:

Make sure fuel filter is new & hooked up correctly.

There might be an inline filter in the carb where the fuel line hooks up. Mine didn't have one.

Vacuum leaks can cause havoc on these carbs. Vacuum hoses ok? Is the carb & it's isolator tightened down good on top of the manifold? No issues with the EGR valve or vapor canister?

Check the air horn (top part) on the carb. Overtightening the 2 wingnuts that hold the air cleaner assy. on can warp the air horn. Mine had a slight warp to it & when I rebuilt my carb, I was able to flatten it enough where the gasket sealed it (C clamps, steel bars & sheet of sandpaper on a table top then a lot of cussing & a lot of sweating). It's cast aluminum so one needs to be careful not to break it.

If there are issues going up a hill there very well might be a problem with the float. Over time they absorb fuel & aren't as buoyant as they should be. You could try just replacing the float but I'd go ahead & get a carb rebuild kit. A 5220 being a 2 barrel isn't too difficult to do. Heck, I did it!

Take care of that Scamp! Not too many of them around.

Any other questions just let us know...
i appreciate the quick reply! yes it is fuel building up on top of the pump, it was already in my head to replace so i think im going to do that regardless. i have been over the vacuum system pretty thoroughly. when i first acquired the car it had about 4 lines disconnected everywhere. but i hunted down a diagram and put them where they needed to be. only to find out there was a diagram sticker on the strut tower lol... so i suppose at this point ill bust out the break cleaner and check all vacuum sources, tinker a little more and wait on that fuel pump before i tear open this carb!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-11-2019, 08:01 AM
Boostaholic

Garage

Quote:
i appreciate the quick reply! yes it is fuel building up on top of the pump, it was already in my head to replace so i think im going to do that regardless. i have been over the vacuum system pretty thoroughly. when i first acquired the car it had about 4 lines disconnected everywhere. but i hunted down a diagram and put them where they needed to be. only to find out there was a diagram sticker on the strut tower lol... so i suppose at this point ill bust out the break cleaner and check all vacuum sources, tinker a little more and wait on that fuel pump before i tear open this carb!
You might want to also to check the choke linkage and verify that it's not sticking. A can of carb cleaner might just solve some of the issues...
post #5 of 11 Old 07-15-2019, 11:12 PM
TD New Guy

My Ride: Dakota 2.2

Quote:

The 5220 Holley Carb likely has a vacuum leak at the throttle shaft. Spray WD 40 while it's idling to confirm. Holley throttle shaft bases don't seem to be rebuildable. I bought a rebuilt one with a lifetime warranty and it wasn't any better. I bought the Weber and it ran way better. If you go with the Weber solution, use the existing jets before trying to transfer the 5220 jets over. My experience with Holley jets in the Weber created a lag before accelerating. Good luck, let me know of any other questions.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-16-2019, 01:31 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1984 Dodge Rampage

I got frustrated with carburetor and vacuum tube issues on my '84 Rampage and replaced it with a Weber 36/32. So far so good.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-16-2019, 07:39 AM
Boostaholic

Garage

If there is an issue with play in the throttle shaft, bushings could be installed if one wanted to go that route...
post #8 of 11 Old 07-18-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Level 4 Supporter

I appreciate all the replies here guys thanks! So update time. New fuel pump and filter... runs alot better! But still falls on its face trying to drive. Still have to pump it alot to get it to go anywhere. But at idle I can rev it to the moon now and it doesnt really hiccup at all. Just under load. Based on your replies it seems that a rebuild would be about pointless on this thing? But it appears the Weber option seems to be the popular choice? Can i get a link on where to buy one and what mods are needed to support it? Would buying a remanufactured oem carb not be worth it? I'm not really looking for more power. Just want to drive it and enjoy it.

post #9 of 11 Old 07-19-2019, 10:25 AM
Boostaholic

Garage

Quote:
I appreciate all the replies here guys thanks! So update time. New fuel pump and filter... runs alot better! But still falls on its face trying to drive. Still have to pump it alot to get it to go anywhere. But at idle I can rev it to the moon now and it doesnt really hiccup at all. Just under load. Based on your replies it seems that a rebuild would be about pointless on this thing? But it appears the Weber option seems to be the popular choice? Can i get a link on where to buy one and what mods are needed to support it? Would buying a remanufactured oem carb not be worth it? I'm not really looking for more power. Just want to drive it and enjoy it.
What I've read in other posts is that the linkage will need to be altered to accept a Weber. Perhaps those that are running one can confirm this.

Have attached pages 2, 3 & 4 (Page 1 is for no start) for fuel system diagnosis out of the '83 FSM. Check through these & use a can of carb cleaner before you give up on the 5220.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel sys 2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	254803   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel sys 3.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	254805   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel sys 4.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	254807  
post #10 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 06:08 AM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: Ram HFE/Omni/SL/XR7
Engine: 2.5 TII .60/.63 2-piece SRT4 IC SMEC no B/S ;)
1/4: 13.800

a rebuild is basically a 'disassemble, clean, and reassemble' so it's def. worth it..
pretty easy and you will become intimately familiar with yur carb, and R&R'ing it

it's a bit hard to diagnose yur issues with the limited info,
but I would remove the top of the carb and check the fuel bowl for any debris..

the charcoal canisters on our cars eventually fail and pass small bits of charcoal thru the vent line into the carb bowl,
then they randomly block either the primary or secondary circuit causing all kinds of driveability issues.

everyone running a carb & charcoal can should put a cheap-o fuel filter in the vent line to prevent this.
John83Rampage likes this.

post #11 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 07:50 AM
Boostaholic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by detobias View Post
a rebuild is basically a 'disassemble, clean, and reassemble' so it's def. worth it..
pretty easy and you will become intimately familiar with yur carb, and R&R'ing it

it's a bit hard to diagnose yur issues with the limited info,
but I would remove the top of the carb and check the fuel bowl for any debris..

the charcoal canisters on our cars eventually fail and pass small bits of charcoal thru the vent line into the carb bowl,
then they randomly block either the primary or secondary circuit causing all kinds of driveability issues.

everyone running a carb & charcoal can should put a cheap-o fuel filter in the vent line to prevent this.
I agree with Detobias. The Holley 5220 isn't too hard to rebuild & you might have some carbon bits in the carb from the vapor canister. I put a generic clear fuel filter in the line that comes off the canister that goes to the carb. So far I haven't seen anything but it's good insurance after doing a carb rebuild. Check to see if your carb has a filter where the fuel inlet line screws in. However if your idle seems ok the issue might be debris in the fuel bowl and/or a clogged jet...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page