need more power - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Cummins Turbo Diesel Repair and performance for the Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesels.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-20-2012, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

My Ride: 85 chyslerlaserturbo
1/4: 0.000

need more power

well i am new to the diesel forum but not to diesels them self.

my problem is I drive a 2000 f650(24 foot box truck) with a 24v cummins in it I tryed at a ford site but they told me the computer controls were made by dodge for this engine so I just came here.

its all stock as a company truck but the owner has given my the ok to get a little more power out of it. you can imagine this thing is gutles when loaded.

I thought about cuting and pluging the wastgate line to get more boost but I know I will need more than that to make this thing run right. so what kind of programer do you guys think would work right on this? I am looking for 75hp or more. I cant get to extream with it, can not aford for it to be down more than a day. so any input would be nice.

p.s. its a delivery truck for pella windows and most of the peoples houses I go to are older so no exhaust work can be done bosses orders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Super Pope

Induct: Turbo

Re: need more power

Diablo sport
Bully Dog
Banks

list is very long indeed. You just need to add a simple programmer and add the max towing map. Pretty easy really. Need to get a custom cold air intake made for it at least. The 75 HP isn't much but the 150 in torque is with that kind of boost.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-22-2012, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

My Ride: 85 chyslerlaserturbo

thanx pope I have been lookin around but there are a lot of programers out there and ofcorse they all say there the best, ya right.

a friend of mine has told me he tryed the banks and the bully dog, liked the banks better.

ya hp is not the real goal here I just want to pull a hill with out having to put this thing in 4th gear (its a 6 speed) I think 150 ft/lb would be great.

any thoughts on disconecting the wastgate supply line for more boost. as I under stand things a diesel will only spool a turbo so far unless you start dumping more fuel.

oh and I dont know if this is a little different because it is in a ford but the wastgate line come right off the compressor housing and straight to the wastgate no computer control.

any help would be great I'm used to working on my old mecedes not this newer cummins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-22-2012, 08:14 PM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: 94 lebaron GTC

I have a Smarty in my 03 and love it. It is rated at up to 90 h.p. on the 2000.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-22-2012, 11:08 PM
Super Pope

I don't think you need the manual boost controller, you get more boost from more fuel. If you want to try one though get a grainger valve from FWDperformance and stick it in that line. Ball towards the turbo and spring towards the WG can.

Look into a controller, the banks is sweet but more expensive.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-27-2012, 10:21 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: Dodge ram 3500

Alright hopefully i didn't get to this post too late.... stay the frack away from anything banks makes as well as bully dog on this particular truck........

If your looking for a jump in power i would look into a set of injectors and a timing box such as a van aken, superchips, diablo power puck etc... you could safely run all the way up to a 150hp injector but i would recommend a 100hp injector from ddp....

With the mods i jsut stated you looking at about a 300ftlb of tq increase at about 1500 bucks...

You could also get a wire tap box such as an edge comp, or quadzilla adrenaline and achieve the same results....

Also dont forget you gauges without them you risk burning up the engine even with slightest increase in power... you will want egt and fuel pressure at a minimum, never go over 1200* for any period of time and never let the fuel pressure drop below 15psi....
post #7 of 17 Old 10-27-2012, 10:24 AM
TD New Guy

Also you do have to get a boost fooler as the factory ecm will pull fuel out at around 25psi, you will also need a boost elbow(grainger valve) to increase boost.... just remember more boost don't always mean more power you have to have the fuel to go with the extra air other wise your losing power.....
post #8 of 17 Old 10-27-2012, 10:25 AM
TD New Guy

and did i mention banks and bully dog sucks lol sorry i had too.....
post #9 of 17 Old 10-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Super Pope

well, with your pickup play toy it's different. being a big work truck I don't think he could run down to the local shop and have it built like a pickup. Most likely air cleaner mods and a chip swap is about as far as he may be able to get away
post #10 of 17 Old 10-27-2012, 01:47 PM
TD New Guy

What kind of "chip" i have heard Pringles and doritos work well lol, but really. all the "chips" tuners that i mentioned goes on the cummins side of the harness, all the mechanical parts are the same....
post #11 of 17 Old 10-27-2012, 01:48 PM
TD New Guy

I speak from experience, and not hear say from a friends brothers uncles cousins next door neighbor
post #12 of 17 Old 10-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Super Pope

well close, a local friend here that works on my truck with me has worked at a Diesel tuner shop for about 10 years now. They build them and have there own dyno tuning them. So I haven't owned them, I just watch and pay close attention as they put down nice numbers. Every truck though is different, but the Cummins is always first choice.

These guys I've worked with don't use off the shelf programs, they are all custom. But when your talking a cheap low stage boost there isn't a huge difference. The favorite that they use is the Edge.

DIESEL - Dodge Juice w / Attitude CS ( 1998.5 - 2000 ) Cummins 5.9L <b><font color="#0033ff" size="4">- FREE - Next Day Air !

Rob Walsh

84 DC Shelby Rampage
86 GLHS 76
89 CSX 187
92 2.5 Turbo ES Shadow Convertable
70 R/T SE Challenger, supercharged 340
05 PT GT
93 Cummins

post #13 of 17 Old 10-28-2012, 07:55 AM
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pope View Post
well close, a local friend here that works on my truck with me has worked at a Diesel tuner shop for about 10 years now. They build them and have there own dyno tuning them. So I haven't owned them, I just watch and pay close attention as they put down nice numbers. Every truck though is different, but the Cummins is always first choice.

These guys I've worked with don't use off the shelf programs, they are all custom. But when your talking a cheap low stage boost there isn't a huge difference. The favorite that they use is the Edge.

DIESEL - Dodge Juice w / Attitude CS ( 1998.5 - 2000 ) Cummins 5.9L <b><font color="#0033ff" size="4">- FREE - Next Day Air !
Wasnt aware that you could "CUSTOM TUNE" a vp44 truck, as far as you can go is with a Quadzilla Adrenaline and you can change timing and fuel stretch and a few other things...... and as far as tuning a common rail well thats funny to because the only thing you can custom tune them with is EFI live,and that is limited to a 06-07 5.9 and 07-09 6.7. And that has only been out a little longer than a year.

The tuner you listed won't work with the truck he has, the adrenaline prob won't either, so Your stuck with a timing box (adds injection timeing and can bus fueling) which are van aken, and power puck. around a 60hp gain.

With that said the only easy way to get reasonable hp gains is with injectors.

A nice set of 7x.010 injectors would be perfect those are rated at around 150hp just make sure you get a quality set and stay away from edge jammers and a few others that are considered a dirty smokey high egt injector,....
post #14 of 17 Old 10-29-2012, 03:25 PM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: 94 lebaron GTC

So your saying the Smarty for the 2000 Dodge won't work? It is possible/ probable that the controls for it really are not from Dodge I suppose. I am guessing that injectors goes beyond the scope af what his boss will allow him to do with the truck.
post #15 of 17 Old 10-29-2012, 03:32 PM
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94GTC View Post
So your saying the Smarty for the 2000 Dodge won't work? It is possible/ probable that the controls for it really are not from Dodge I suppose. I am guessing that injectors goes beyond the scope af what his boss will allow him to do with the truck.
Wouldn't work because it reprograms the the dodge pcm,. The power puck, and van aken could work because its on the cummins side of the harness. Although you wont see a great gain in power until injectors are added along with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page