what is needed to supercharge? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Supercharged 2.2 / 2.5s Discussion of performance and maintenance specific to supercharging a Dodge 2.2 or 2.5.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 03-10-2017, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

My Ride: 86 Shelby Charger
Engine: 2.2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

what is needed to supercharge?

besides having a 2.2/2.5 and the DC blower kit (if one can be found) what else is needed ? are there any controllers or specialized equipment needed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: GLHS 958
Engine: 2.2 Turbo II

Re: what is needed to supercharge?

There aren't any electronics involved. It's just carbureted. Are you looking for a blower kit?
glhswanted likes this.
post #3 of 26 Old 03-11-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

if i can find one i'd like to. i know they aren't cheap. trying to avoid electronics if possible for my build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 03-11-2017, 12:26 PM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSATANSSEAT View Post
There aren't any electronics involved. It's just carbureted. Are you looking for a blower kit?
It's potentially a big question you ask but in brief, if you start out with a carb engine, it's basically a bolt on application with the exception of spark and ignition timing control which may require some tuning skills and a few simple mods. You'll learn a lot about carb choices and parts availability on those, as well as technical knowledge and assistance. This is old old school stuff. You can go with something like an MSD ignition and completely ignore the factory spark controller, you can use a different advance in the distributor, there are quite a few possibilities.

There are two super charger setups available if I am not mistaken, maybe the early and then the later, one might be capable of delivering more air than the other but it's been a while since I played on that ball field and can't remember any specifics. Maybe someone else will help fill in the gaps.
glhswanted likes this.
post #5 of 26 Old 03-11-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

well im starting with a carbed engine, but my understanding of the kit was it replaced the intake side of things. my knowledge of forced induction would lead me to believe starting with the turbo engine would usually be better. feel like thats kinda getting off topic. would the factory spark controller manage? off hand im not even sure i kept the control stuff from the engine when i pulled it, its been so long. trying to get a good idea of what i'm gonna be needing.
post #6 of 26 Old 03-11-2017, 05:00 PM
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: 84 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.2L
Induct: S/C

Let me chime in on this as I have a supercharged Rampage. Here are some points to consider:

(1) What are your main goals for doing this instead of a turbo? I can understand stripping all the pollution stuff and ECM/ECU, I've done that. But there's a LOT more stuff to consider.

(2) The Mopar 2.2L Performance Supercharger kit is extinct. Like dinosaurs. Like the probability of actually finding one is below the teens. There are some on eBay, but they're all for older big block engines. You could submit a parts wanted post for it. If you get a message from someone that still has THE COMPLETE KIT, and wants to sell it, let me check and see if hell has frozen over. The price would be steep, hope you have some deep pockets.

(3) Bear in mind that the actual boost from this supercharger is around 5HP, give or take if you hold your mouth just right. Hypothetically, if I took mine to the track and ran against a similar type L-body that had a decent turbo running, it would clean my clock so fast my head would still be spinning when I finally cross the line.

Which brings me back to the first question. All things aside, what do you really want your car to do for you? There are a multitude of mods, tips and stickies in this forum to do just about anything for these period specific vehicles.

glhswanted and 83scamp like this.
post #7 of 26 Old 03-11-2017, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

i've understood how rare it is to find one which is ok cause im not really in a hurry. main goal with the super over a turbo is just to do something really different. seems like if i really want "big" HP numbers the way to go is turbo or even build it as all engine. i have a 4g63t that needs a trans i could use, even thought of doing the 16v maserati engine to be different. i will probably end up building it as a turbo for now unless everything else falls in place but figure its better to know what is involved before jumping in the just doing it blindly. can always hope to get lucky
post #8 of 26 Old 03-11-2017, 08:30 PM
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Induct: N/A
1/4: 17.200

Wildwest makes some good points.

When originally released, the supercharger kit was meant to give roughly the power of the early T1 motors. Whether it actually did or not, has been debated. It was recommended to use a shim to reduce the compression of the motor so you didn't eat pistons... Plus the fact you have to cut a hole in your hood to fit it, never really appealed to me.

I'm working on converting my Scamp to turbo at the moment. Yeah, it's going to some work, but in the end, the power gains are worth it to me.

Like Wildwest asked, what are your power goals? If you think you're going to create a 200 hp tire melter, you will be deeply disappointed....
glhswanted and Wildwest like this.

83 Scamp GT COTM APRIL '14
89 Daytona ES turbo, Daily driver
post #9 of 26 Old 03-11-2017, 09:36 PM
Level 2 Supporter

Hey, it's your baby, plot your own course and sail it through to the end. The real reason I have a supercharger it that it was already installed when I bought the Rampage. I'm a contrarian by my nature. Where most people zig, I zag. The Rampage was only produced for three years, the Scamp only one. It's stands as the only vehicle that Chrysler made to compete with the likes of an El Camino, Ranchero, Brat, and Rabbit truck.I fell in love with my Rampage not only for that it's so unique, but this a nostalgia kick for me. Wished I had a supercharger on my 70 GTO when I was a teenager. Come to think of it, I probably wouldn't be here if I did. I'm turning mine into a street fighter and eventually a decent show car. So I can understand where you're coming from. I was really, really lucky to have found it the way it was. This ain't no sleeper, baby!

Take some time and meditate, ruminate or just dreaming of what you want your car to become, before you do anything else to it. Projects that get derailed and change course often lead to wasted time and money. An old business saying is "Plan your work, then work your plan".

Just know that you are not alone. This is hands down the BEST forum for our period cars. This isn't a turbo only club. There are several here that like keeping theirs stock or slightly modified. 83scamp is a Master Jedi here, and this Padawan is very grateful for all the tips and advice that has helped me come a long way in short order from when I joined almost a year ago. Anyone managing two complex restorations in parallel must be strong with the force. Just start reading some of the stickys and run some simple searches, you can find someone here that has done it before and shared their experience.

I wish you all the best with your car and restoration project.
glhswanted likes this.
post #10 of 26 Old 03-11-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

no power goals in mind. whole idea is to be different. its not going in a fwd TD. i'm planing on using this combo in my 36 dodge pickup.i think im not going to have any height issues but i am slightly worried about width either as turbo or supercharger. i do have a 4g63t in need of a trans that i know i capable of 200+hp but i really dont feel like dealing with all those electronics. i also have a 383 big block chrysler that i started to build for this project that i could use, but i've seen that done. mostly i just want it to be different. when was the last time you saw a four banger powering anything but the mundane? (and i dont mean turbo dodges) honestly it seems that the hard part and the whole reason not to supercharger is just cause finding a complete kit is going to cost as much if not more then building either the 2.2 as a turbo or getting a trans for the 4g or finishing the BB or even finding a gen1 hemi. its nice to know that it would be "simple" to do otherwise.
post #11 of 26 Old 03-11-2017, 10:16 PM
Level 2 Supporter

OOOHHH, now we see the light. My apologies as I and others assumed you were restoring an 80s type 4 cylinder. This would not be the best forum for an antique. I'm sure there are plenty of those out there. They would be a lot more knowledgeable about engine builds like the ones you're talking about. Your chances of finding a supercharger are likely a lot better for big blocks, as there are some aftermarket options available.
glhswanted likes this.
post #12 of 26 Old 03-11-2017, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

no apologies necessary. quite honestly i asked here cause these engines either turbo or supercharged are known here. most people just dismiss anything that isnt a v8 in a hot rod. the group of people on this forum are here cause they are doing different and not following the crowd. i've owned my TD for over 10yrs at this point and its been a blast. fun and gas mileage? who would have thought? if it wasnt for that car i probably would never consider doing anything like this and would just have dumped the big block in. i had originally bought my donor truck to put the body on but time and room constraints ruined that idea. was gonna build it as a turbo till i learned of these kits. it fascinating idea to me using force induction with a 4cyl instead of the v8.
post #13 of 26 Old 03-12-2017, 12:58 AM
Level 2 Supporter

Here's a forum you might like:

https://www.superchargerforums.com
post #14 of 26 Old 03-12-2017, 09:38 AM
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Induct: N/A
1/4: 17.200

Quote:
Originally Posted by glhswanted View Post
no power goals in mind. whole idea is to be different. its not going in a fwd TD. i'm planing on using this combo in my 36 dodge pickup.i think im not going to have any height issues but i am slightly worried about width either as turbo or supercharger. i do have a 4g63t in need of a trans that i know i capable of 200+hp but i really dont feel like dealing with all those electronics. i also have a 383 big block chrysler that i started to build for this project that i could use, but i've seen that done. mostly i just want it to be different. when was the last time you saw a four banger powering anything but the mundane? (and i dont mean turbo dodges) honestly it seems that the hard part and the whole reason not to supercharger is just cause finding a complete kit is going to cost as much if not more then building either the 2.2 as a turbo or getting a trans for the 4g or finishing the BB or even finding a gen1 hemi. its nice to know that it would be "simple" to do otherwise.
That makes a lot of sense now. I had actually considered at one time, using an M90 supercharger from a GM V-6 on my Scamp. It was low enough to clear the hood & the end mounting of the TB would have worked well in our cars. Plus, look on ebay, you can get them pretty cheap.

Like you said, you don't have to deal with that in a 36 Dodge. Several years ago I was at a car show, there was a guy there with a 32 ford highboy. Bright yellow, sweet looking car. The hood was up, and he had a carbed Ford 2.3 in it. Said it had plenty of power, and got 30+ mpg's, I thought it was one of the coolest cars there. Made a lot of sense that way.

Don't fear being different, I resisted the urge for many years to "go turbo" in my Scamp, but after having my Daytona for 2 years, and feeling the boost, I just felt the time was right for the next phase of that truck...

Good luck with your project, and keep us posted.
glhswanted likes this.

83 Scamp GT COTM APRIL '14
89 Daytona ES turbo, Daily driver
post #15 of 26 Old 06-21-2017, 02:11 PM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: multiple mopars.
Engine: 2.2 's and 340

I ran mine up to 8psi with a modified pulley
INSATANSSEAT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page