turbo dodge in a 65 corvair - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
RWD Turbo-Dodge 2.2 / 2.5 / 3.0 RWD Turbo Conversations.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 12-02-2015, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

My Ride: chevy
1/4: 0.000

turbo dodge in a 65 corvair

Just throwing this out there . All opinions pro and con welcome . I have a 65 Corvair shell with a good title { hard to find in Ohio} That I intend to turn into a dd middy . It came with no drive train which is not a problem because my original intent was to install one of my Subaru SVX drive trains where the back set was but after a ton of measuring I have determined with one of my turbo II drive trains I could keep the back seat by just moving it forward a couple inches. I haven't really done the engine weight check yet for the dodge vs. Corvair drive train but I think it should be close enough to be a wash. I am planning on fabbing mounting points for attatching the k-member and an automatic to make the tranny linkage a non issue {my brother has fresh rebuilt from a 3.3 van can I make an adapter from a .187 steel plate? [tranny computer difficult?]} This is going to be a mildly built engine with 200 or so hp using stuff I have laying around, ported exhaust , ported 787 head , roller cam and modded two piece intake stock computer and larger intercooler and stock turbo II computer. Any and all advice welcome but remember this is just a dd for a 58 year old man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-02-2015, 08:35 AM
Level 3 Supporter

My Ride: 84 Turbo Z, 91 Shelb
Engine: 2.2-2.5
Induct: Turbo

Re: turbo dodge in a 65 corvair

It should make a nice setup. As for the weight they used a crown kit and put v8s in the back in the 70s? So you should be good to go!. It seems the engine will be back quite a ways, will it not be under the trunk area? Keep us posted. I used to have a 65 Corsa and always wanted to put a Buick GN V6 in it but...........
post #3 of 22 Old 12-02-2015, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Engine will be under back ledge {rear glass} area. Got a kelmark v8 setup in my Kelmark gt { 327 /4 -speed 3.21 gears posi unit}. Getting older so I want to sit up a little higher for comfort. Automatic is for the wife but was looking through all the tranny post on what is possible as far as an overdrive goes so I'm not turning 3000 rpm at 70 mph and don't want to swap drive gears to lower final drive as I think it with lug too much or be constantly down shifting in the hills. Have only found a couple of post referencing a Mexican 604 tranny. Not fond of wire splicing but can do it. making a steel plate adapter is a piece of cake {worked aircraft structural for last 30 years} Saw one post where some one said by splicing a few wires you could run the 604 on a 2.2 set up but never found anything as far as wiring code or color matching.Help anyone? Pope?

Last edited by octfifty; 12-02-2015 at 09:07 AM. Reason: needed additional wording
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 12-02-2015, 09:14 AM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS
Engine: 2.2

Do it! But you better make a build thread so we can watch!
post #5 of 22 Old 12-03-2015, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Build thread ... I don't know I'm pretty bad about keeping records. Don't keep a cellphone or camera near me when I'm working because I can't afford to replace them . I will try and get shots of areas with critical dimensions for anyone else that might have the same wild hare . As far as parts # it is quite literally being built from parts accumulated through the years
post #6 of 22 Old 12-03-2015, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Forgot to mention I bought the corvair shell in Galloway , Ohio for $250.00 and the shelby daytona in Lakewood, Ohio for the same so I guess it really is a corvair 500
post #7 of 22 Old 12-03-2015, 09:09 AM
Naturally Aspirated

I actually had a 1964 Corvair that my Dad drove for a number of years. I wish it had been a 65 because the roof line is so much nicer in the 65+ cars. That 64 I sold to a friend for very little and he drove it in college for a few years. It made regular trips from Atlanta to Statesboro Georgia where the school was. It was stolen at one point, but recovered a few weeks later, a bit worn but still running.
post #8 of 22 Old 12-03-2015, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Basic color and rim idea . No skulls though

Last edited by octfifty; 12-03-2015 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Didn't show picture
post #9 of 22 Old 12-03-2015, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

or this?
post #10 of 22 Old 12-03-2015, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Ka24de FWD Swap (Altima) Build Thread
Found this in a quick search but kinda shows what I'm thinking and why I want to stay 8v head for clearance in the back seat area.
post #11 of 22 Old 12-04-2015, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Want air fuel as even as possible . Will balance injectors. Thoughts?
post #12 of 22 Old 12-04-2015, 11:37 AM
Naturally Aspirated

Quote:
Originally Posted by octfifty View Post
Want air fuel as even as possible . Will balance injectors. Thoughts?
If you buy new injectors in a set of 4, and they were manufactured at the same time, the balance/amount of fuel delivered at a certain PSI will be within factory spec...and its not really adjustable per injector. If you mix and match new injectors from different mfg. lots, they should theoretically still all be delivering the same amount of fuel because they are designed and built to deliver a specific number of gallons per hour at a specific PSI. If you mix new with old injectors, they you get what you get as far as them being balanced. Old injectors can be partially clogged of course and only having all 4 injectors serviced, cleaned, fresh micro screens installed, and then flow tested will you know how close the flow rates are.

I have used WitchHunterPerformance out on the West coast and I really like their service and quick turnaround. They also include a before and after bench flow test sheet that shows what they were flowing and then what they are flowing after being cleaned and refurbished. This is a common practice at most shops and if it is not included I would use that service, it's a personal requirement for me to have the before and after flow ratings.
post #13 of 22 Old 12-04-2015, 11:39 AM
Naturally Aspirated

Quote:
Originally Posted by octfifty View Post
or this?

I like the silver scheme much better...personally. I would probably delete the two tone stripe and if I had a stripe at all, it would be one solid, thin line that followed the natural curves of the car.
post #14 of 22 Old 12-04-2015, 10:18 PM
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: '89 Shelby CSX

I had a '65 Corsa that had the stock intake manifolds replaced with Fibertech manifolds, tri-ported with modified dune buggy headers. Was a lot of fun. I was going to drop in an engine and tranny from and Olds Tornado, but didn't have any fab skills, nor the money to have it done. The silver one looks good for a sleeper. 200 Hp would be good, but if you hit 250 or more, the better.
post #15 of 22 Old 12-05-2015, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Main goals are comfort {AC,cruise, real heater, power windows} The power goals I'm shooting for are just guess based on past experience. More would be nice but not likely given that I want to keep the stock boost settings . The improvements will come from improved breathing with the same boost setting. I have a couple of two piece manifolds I will be putting online soon along with the stock inttercooler and ported exhaust manifolds. I'm going with fabbed steel intake manifold and a long branch exhaust manifold similar to the Mexican manifold and perhaps a twin scroll ball bearing turbo that I have on the shelf. I always flow injectors new or not because of the variances I have seen in the past . My favorite color is the ford silver blue they had in the 80'
s . It looked good to me and was more forgiving if you got a little lazy with the baths.88C/S I would love to have seen your car . I have always loved the lines on the Corvair and the fibertech manifolds are a rare piece today. ILIKESHELBYS . do you think the rally 15 inch rims would go with the silver paint? I think I'm doing something wrong with the images I am putting up . the site is asking for the url. but I don't see an image of the manifold I tried to post . I tried photo shop and I tried saving to my computer and reposting . Any one want to walk a computer dummy through the proccess?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page