Why not AWD - Page 10 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
RWD Turbo-Dodge 2.2 / 2.5 / 3.0 RWD Turbo Conversations.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #136 of 212 Old 04-24-2008, 04:18 PM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 90 DAK
1/4: 0.000

Re: Why not AWD

Unreliable. won't hold up at big power levels, whatever anyone wants to say. So why is it that you can get a turbocharged 2.2 with a stock 5 speed stretch the spring in the fuel presure regulator to lie to the ECM and have higher presure at the injectors and run 13.0 at 100mph all day? and the big 3.8v6 that was in the AWD minivans didn't break anything but engine mounts. are we going simply on hearsay?
Venture over to MoparMuscles website and watch the videos of the stocl 2.2T running 13.0 pass after pass, Look around and I am sure some of you with more time than I have could find the Mopar Mag that did the 12 sec minivan and published it in a article.
Anyone been to Bristol TN lately, Last time I was there a minivan with all the stuff inside ran 12.7 at 115. left the line without even barking a tire. the most amazing thing was the guy drove it there unloaded family, bbq grill, canopy and seats for 6 people signed it up to race and went heads up to everything that would run him.
I have seen the things go. I just dont have a wrecked one around to get the parts from. If I did I would try it out for sure. And can anyone tell me where I can get the Super 60 Package mother mopar had out years ago. Only thing they still have listed is the computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 212 Old 04-26-2008, 01:03 AM
TD New Guy

Once again, the limiting factor is the Power Transfer Module (think of it as a transfer case of sorts). And I am not too keen on 3 wheels being driven off one side of the diff.
post #138 of 212 Old 04-27-2008, 04:15 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 89 Daytona Shelby
1/4: 13.600

If you are gonna go through this much trouble just make it RWD and slap a late model mds hemi in it from the junkyard.Seems easier to just make it rwd,plus ya can have more fun .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 212 Old 04-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Level 4 Supporter

My Ride: 84 Turbo Z, 91 Shelb
Engine: 2.2-2.5
Induct: Turbo

Well I'm not really interested in this concept so I haven't read every post,but Caroll Shelby did this as a prototype with 16 valve 2.2 Daytona back in 83-84.Might check it out.i I have the magazine some where, I saw it not too long ago.Might look it up again if anyone's interested.
post #140 of 212 Old 04-28-2008, 01:44 PM
TD New Guy

OK now I understand the reliability part. So didn't we have some Talons and Eclipses with AWD that made tons of power?
Think any of it would work?
I am dying to make an AWD 1979 OMNI with a 16v Super 60 Powered motor.
And yes Minivans run 12 sec quarter times.

12.61 @ 105 mph
Paul Smith 1989 Dodge Caravan

12.69 @ 106 mph
Terry Ryan's '89 Turbo mini
Niether of these are AWD but figure the weight/time/speed calculatioins and you get 325 and 340 hp repsectfully. woohoo
My Idea of an 1800 lbs OMNI should go in the 10's. Imagine what that will do to the jerks with the pissed off weedeater mufflers on Hondas making nothing but noise. Man this is going to be fun.
post #141 of 212 Old 04-28-2008, 01:53 PM
TD New Guy

And I forogt one thing. I dont have tons of cash but I do work at a machine shop. So fabing some parts wont be that hard for me, just figuring out how to hang it into the car and make it adjustable enough to ne lined up correctly will be the hard part. If I happen to get this done reasonably soon I will make some extra hangers/brackets and such and sell the for cost of materials only. Since you guys are giving me the inspiratoin to do it just because no-one, including me now, thinks it will work very well, if at all. So that said hopefully I will prove me wrong.
post #142 of 212 Old 04-28-2008, 10:30 PM
TD New Guy

You know that ALL the turbovans were only FWD? Nobody doubted the 12s...
post #143 of 212 Old 04-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 89 voyager van
Engine: hybrid dohc 16v 2.5l

I have followed this thread with interest over time,as an awd turbo van would be great fun.Last fall I removed,then converted an awd auto to 2wd,and fitted it to a 2wd van.This gave me a good look at how the awd system worked.I was also a bit surprised at how 3 wheels are driven from one end of the diff..
I also looked at it all with view to fitting the system to my turbo van,and I believe it would be achievable.I have just purchased another turbo van for it's rust free shell (and it's factory 5sp),and have plans to try the awd conversion with my hybrid engine fitted.
I'll be interested to see how things survive.
post #144 of 212 Old 04-30-2008, 09:56 PM
TD New Guy

Cool. Someone that can give it a whirl.
post #145 of 212 Old 11-05-2008, 08:41 PM
TD New Guy

sweet, I have a friend that lives near you woody, I can get with him aand see if he can lend a hand to turn wrenches.
his nickname is digger, he is a cool cat. and loves Dodges.
post #146 of 212 Old 11-06-2008, 05:58 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: Dodge Daytona
Engine: 2.2 Turbo II

will body survive this? those cars were designed for fwd only. rear of the car body isn't that strong..
post #147 of 212 Old 11-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 1987 Omni T2/A-555
Engine: 2.2 T2

lotsaboost/AWD Omni GLH - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

https://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11...eo-pics-2.html

1st link is to Lotsaboosts project Hybrid 2.4/AWD Omni. Which is nothing short of amazing.

2nd link is to the AWD thread i have been following.
post #148 of 212 Old 11-17-2008, 05:12 PM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 93 Notchback

Ok, I have read the whole thread, and in many ways I agree with Phatfoto that having 3 out of 4 tires driven off half the output of the tranny is a bit disconcerting.

Under extreme acceleration what would slip at one tire or another do to this situation. Would it kill the PTO? They use overrun clutches in stock situations, is it for perfect operation with no kinks? Or is it a necessary part to keep the PTO from killing the whole system? If all the tires are the same size, and LSD only in the rear, what wouldn't allow enough slip to keep the rest of the drivetrain alive? As long as there is slip from side to side, how much loading would there be of the rest of the drivetrain?

Either way, I am watching this thread!
Chris
post #149 of 212 Old 11-18-2008, 02:37 AM
Garrett Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.8LImportEater View Post
Ok, I have read the whole thread, and in many ways I agree with Phatfoto that having 3 out of 4 tires driven off half the output of the tranny is a bit disconcerting.

Under extreme acceleration what would slip at one tire or another do to this situation. Would it kill the PTO? They use overrun clutches in stock situations, is it for perfect operation with no kinks? Or is it a necessary part to keep the PTO from killing the whole system? If all the tires are the same size, and LSD only in the rear, what wouldn't allow enough slip to keep the rest of the drivetrain alive? As long as there is slip from side to side, how much loading would there be of the rest of the drivetrain?

Either way, I am watching this thread!
Chris
3 of 4 tires are not driven off half of anything. The front axles spline into the differential's spider gears the same way that they do in FWD. The PTU input shaft splines into the differential housing so it is basically connected solid with the ring gear.
post #150 of 212 Old 11-18-2008, 12:39 PM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1995 caravan
Engine: 3.3 201
Induct: N/A

none of you guys have ever driven a awd caravan? do you know you can posi the fwd a604 hummm and if u posi the rear diff in the awd WOW thats killer i got mr.t to posi(respects to mr transmision)(cant spell)my 3.3 fwd a604 and i do killer with it so whats stopping anybody from doing it to a awd???? i cant find one here on ontairo for less than 1000 (that works) if not the owner thinks that he/she has a van made out of gold so i havent been able to make this happen. and if u guys r thinking of playing with awd power think of getting a shelby3.3 and use that for your awd setup 255hp ?????torq and the 3.3 is set up to handle 500hp i ve been porting polishing and building my own version of the 3.3 and doing resurch in building this motor its possible to get 500hp..... im prob going to be blasted for this (never worked with a 4 cyclnder b 4 )but can u get 500 hp but have the torq?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page