Why not AWD - Page 12 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
RWD Turbo-Dodge 2.2 / 2.5 / 3.0 RWD Turbo Conversations.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #166 of 212 Old 01-09-2009, 05:07 PM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: '88 Shelby Z TII
Engine: 2.2 TII
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 14.284

Re: Why not AWD

Shelby sent the guy on the winding back roads becuase he recognizes that there is more to car performance than going fast in a straight line. You definatly do NOT need AWD to do that! However, corner exit speeds and overall manuevering manners of an AWD car will almost always be better than a 2WD varient, all other things being equal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 212 Old 01-09-2009, 05:15 PM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 92 Duster
Engine: 3.0
1/4: 11.500

Huh?
They had a course setup at shelby's place.

The point was to let them see how it would handle.
You cant test that in a straight light.
That doesn't mean "look at this road racing car i built"
post #168 of 212 Old 01-09-2009, 06:49 PM

1/4: 0.000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
Ummm, the tranny is 100% MOPAR. The design that was used by Toyota for the Celica AllTrac was "borrowed" from the Daytona+4 concept back in the early '80's.
Ivew talked to a couple mechanics and they suggest the trans is a toyota design. If you can provide any links to suggest otherwise Id be sure to pass the info on
Quote:
The driveshaft can be built by any compitant dirveshaft shop. The only *real* issues are the rear diff and the PTU on the tranny, but both seem to be fairly stout based on research and photos by others.
Well I guess then there are no compitant driveshaft shops in the Chicagoland area, Ive called tons and got only one to say, Ill like to see it
Quote:

The design was "carried" over in the the AWD Pacifica for a while, so parts availability for some of this stuff shouldn't be too horrible, not to mention AWD vans were produced well in to the 2000's.
Wrong here for sure, I called a Mopar supplier and only 4 of the driveshafts are in the system NATIONWIDE and there are NO thats a capital N O , parts available to rebuild the shafts in the USA according to Mopar
Quote:
Why AWD? Better launch capability, better road course manners, better autocross manners, and of course the "cool" factor.... So, again, why not AWD?
Once again parts availablity would suggest otherwise.
However Im going to hang in with this one put a few bucks into it since its snowing like crazy this winter. Oh and snow tires are hard to find for it too, they can be found but not cheap.

Thanks for the reply, and once again if you have any evidence to the contrary of what I say here PLEASE provide me links ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #169 of 212 Old 01-10-2009, 12:49 PM
TD Extreme User!

Here's a link that is on another forum (and not *that* other forum, for those that are worried).

http://*****************/forums/showthread.php?t=10468

The AWD system later used was based on that design.

If you still have doubts, then just look up A604 on Wikipedea. The 41AE is the AWD derivative of that tranny, which was the FIRST of it's kind released to the public. Trust me, the AWD tranny and system that MOPAR used was 100% their design.

I don't know why it would be so hard to make a driveshaft "X" length with "Y" splines such-and-such a length on one side and a flange with "Z" dimensions on the other. People do this ALL the time for street rods and such. If the spline count is something non-standard, then you just need to find a machine shop with a EDM(I think that's the right name) machine and you can have the thing MADE!! You are not going to be able to take the driveshaft as it sits in a van and just plop it in one of our cars, it is going to be too long! It's going to HAVE to be modified.
post #170 of 212 Old 01-11-2009, 01:37 AM
TD Extreme User!

Since when are people who repair cars experts on "who designed it"????????????????
Driveshaft. If they know what they are doing they just use parts they have to make something work!
post #171 of 212 Old 01-11-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
Since when are people who repair cars experts on "who designed it"????????????????
Driveshaft. If they know what they are doing they just use parts they have to make something work!
Well actually the guys at the trans shop told the mechanics the trans' were toyota
post #172 of 212 Old 01-11-2009, 10:26 AM

Might as well just buy a new one for $800

The guys with machine shops I lost track of many years ago to make it worth while to go through all that.

It is an EDM machine you're talking about. It uses a carbon tip and lots of amps to burn through anything to the shape you want.

Im checking out your link now, thanks for all the help.

UPDATE
I had the guys put the shaft back on and we found the squeeking problem, it was a metal dust cover over a bearing. No big deal, HOWEVER something must've happened to the shaft while it was off, rust got inside or they dropped it a few times in the shop because once I hit 20mph the van turned into a paint shaker. So Im back to where I started from ...
post #173 of 212 Old 01-11-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Here's a link that is on another forum (and not *that* other forum, for those that are worried).
This link doesnt work, if there is a problem sending "links" please email it to me

Quote:
If you still have doubts, then just look up A604 on Wikipedea. The 41AE is the AWD derivative of that tranny, which was the FIRST of it's kind released to the public. Trust me, the AWD tranny and system that MOPAR used was 100% their design.
Ok Ill have to pass on the word then
post #174 of 212 Old 01-11-2009, 08:43 PM
TD Extreme User!

I'm kinda surprised the link to that site doesn't work here either. Let's just say that the words "boosted" and "mopar" are in the name of the site you could probably get there.

*goes off shaking head in amazement of the pettiness of the world at times...*
post #175 of 212 Old 01-12-2009, 12:19 AM
TD Extreme User!

Quote:
I'm kinda surprised the link to that site doesn't work here either. Let's just say that the words "boosted" and "mopar" are in the name of the site you could probably get there.

*goes off shaking head in amazement of the pettiness of the world at times...*
They are both hosted by Frank.
post #176 of 212 Old 02-26-2009, 05:14 PM

now i know that daytonas come stock with a 3.0l engine in the '90s so why not use a 3.0l set up from a stealth or GTO and use the awd that is available with these cars?? its equal to the same amount of work as a rwd conversion.
post #177 of 212 Old 02-26-2009, 06:18 PM
TD New Guy

My Ride: Dodge Daytona
Engine: 2.2 Turbo II

stealth/gt3000 has awd steereng. try to swap that... ;-)
post #178 of 212 Old 02-27-2009, 05:28 AM
TD Extreme User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigbenis420 View Post
now i know that daytonas come stock with a 3.0l engine in the '90s so why not use a 3.0l set up from a stealth or GTO and use the awd that is available with these cars?? its equal to the same amount of work as a rwd conversion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonPL View Post
stealth/gt3000 has awd steereng. try to swap that... ;-)
These ideas have been discussed in length for a LONG time. Long story short...it aint' gonna happen unless you want to devote a LOT of time and money to a project that simply would just have a "cool" factor and NO other advantage....
post #179 of 212 Old 02-27-2009, 05:54 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: Dodge Daytona
Engine: 2.2 Turbo II

amen
post #180 of 212 Old 02-28-2009, 03:46 PM
TD Extreme User!

I think our master cylinder would be a problem too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page