Why not AWD - Page 3 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
RWD Turbo-Dodge 2.2 / 2.5 / 3.0 RWD Turbo Conversations.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 212 Old 10-23-2006, 11:21 AM

1/4: 0.000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85woodywagon
Just take DSM donor. Cut off body so that only floor, engine/drivetrain with wheels remains.

Form a box out of tubular steel, weld to DSM floor

Take TD. Gut interior. Take out dash, etc. Cut off floors. Weld the outer shell to the DSM floor.
or... we could just change the gravitional constant of the universe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 212 Old 10-23-2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniGTI
post #33 of 212 Old 10-23-2006, 07:14 PM
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 87 Shelby Lancer
Engine: 16v 2.2
Induct: Turbo

Quote:
MY GOD! HES GOT IT! lol

The hardest part of this project would be getting one of these many transmissions bolted up to our engines. Even doing a "simple" rwd conversion your options are very limited to what trans you can use. But as long as we are changing the gravitional constant of the universe, it should be a very simple process;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 212 Old 10-24-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itoktoeatfish
MY GOD! HES GOT IT! lol

The hardest part of this project would be getting one of these many transmissions bolted up to our engines. Even doing a "simple" rwd conversion your options are very limited to what trans you can use. But as long as we are changing the gravitional constant of the universe, it should be a very simple process;)

It's not as hard as you'd think to adapt a transmission to an engine it doesn't beloing to. It's actually slightly easier than changing the gravitational constant of the universe.

However, here are my real thoughts on this issue... use the new world engine. What you have is a 2.4 with better flow, variable valve timing, better ratios (more bore and less stroke) and with a lot less weight (aluminum block with iron sleeves). Forget adapting the SRT4 motor, figure out how to adapt the world engine. When the Caliber SRT4 hits, you are gonna want one of those motors, not a current 2.4.

How you ask, does this relate to AWD? Simple, the world engine is also in the upcoming EvoX. So, a strong AWD transmission WILL exist for the world engine. You won't need to adapt it, swap the drivetrain from that into a TD. I suggest you guys get out there and start figuring at how to adapt the 2.4WE from the Caliber into a TD.

As for the rear, unless you're using an L-body, just buy the Exline Automotive 3 link Ebody 8 3/4 conversion peices!

Last edited by sillywabbit; 10-24-2006 at 08:53 PM.
post #35 of 212 Old 10-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 87 Shelby Lancer
Engine: 16v 2.2

So you dont want to even use a old school 2.2/2.5. That would make it alot easier but then you just have a EVO with say an omni body. A awd with a 2.2 or 2.5 would be cooler in my option but thats just me.
post #36 of 212 Old 10-24-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
It's not as hard as you'd think to adapt a transmission to an engine it doesn't beloing to. It's actually slightly easier than changing the gravitational constant of the universe.

However, here are my real thoughts on this issue... use the new world engine. What you have is a 2.4 with better flow, variable valve timing, better ratios (more bore and less stroke) and with a lot less weight (aluminum block with iron sleeves). Forgot adapting the SRT4 motor, figure out how to adapt that. When the Caliber SRT4 hits, you are gonna want one of those, not a currentg 2.4.

How you ask, does this relate to AWD? Simple, the world engine is also in the upcoming EvoX. So, a strong AWD transmission WILL exist for the world engine. You won't need to adapt it, swap the drivetrain from that into a TD. I suggest you guys get out there and start figuring at how to adapt the 2.4 in the caliber.

As for the rear, unless you using an L-body, just buy the Exline Automotive 3 link Ebody 8 3/4 conversion peices!

That is not a bad idea but it will be 5-6 years before it is worth the cost.
post #37 of 212 Old 10-24-2006, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itoktoeatfish
So you dont want to even use a old school 2.2/2.5. That would make it alot easier but then you just have a EVO with say an omni body. A awd with a 2.2 or 2.5 would be cooler in my option but thats just me.
Actually, only the trans would be EVO. The 2.4 WE would be the chrysler variant, the car would be chrysler, the rearend would be chrysler. It's really no different than adapting an EVOVIII trans to a 2.2. If you are going to go through all that trouble, why keep 8 valves?
post #38 of 212 Old 10-24-2006, 11:40 PM
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 87 Shelby Z
Engine: 2.2 TII
1/4: 15.200

After seeing that rock crawller on HP TV I thought it would be cool to build a similar setup with a turbo 2.5 A413 combo. Throw a OBX in the transaxle and have at it. Would be cool but I know I don't have to resources or $ to do it. Some day maybe. The main problem with this setup is you would really need a front and rear diff with a 1:1 ratio to get the correct gearing since the transaxle has the diff built into it reducing the gear ratio. If you really want to do it Go down to MEXICO get one of their 2.5 cars with the POS a604 behind it, combine it with the Minivan transfer case and rear end and your good to go. Would make a good daily driver I bet but wouldn't be able to consistently put the power down like a WRX or EVO. Still I'd like to see it done.

Benji

Benji Farr
Green Bay WI
87 Shelby Z TII
88 Shelby Z TI auto
88 Shelby Z TII Parts Car
http://bfarroo.tripod.com
post #39 of 212 Old 11-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Garrett Booster

I realize this is probably going to be a stupid question, but has anyone looked into the new Pacifica transmissions? Or for that matter even the old Pacifica trans? The only real issue I can think of would be the computer seeing as most were equiped with the "manumatic" option. And maybe fitment? I've not gotten the chance to see one outside of the vehicle, but I can tell you the new ones seem to hold up to the 4.0L v6 pretty well. Just my $.02.

-Joe
post #40 of 212 Old 11-01-2006, 06:31 PM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 92 Duster
Engine: 3.0
1/4: 11.500

I think if there was a way to avoid blowing the crap out of the chrysler PTU you could easily upgrade all the other awd parts that chrysler has on the awd v6's.

The only part you really need is the power transfer unit.
post #41 of 212 Old 11-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Garrett Booster

I'll claim ignorance, is there a way you could switch out to a different PTU, or upgrade the current one to make it more resilient? I appologize, I'm still learning.

-Joe
post #42 of 212 Old 11-01-2006, 11:00 PM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 92 Duster
Engine: 3.0
1/4: 11.500

i dont know about using another ptu because all the other similar drivetrains have the tranny on the opposite side of the engine bay.

I really dont know what the weaknesses are in the chrysler PTU.
I know that recently the 3000gt guys have had someone make both cast iron and billet aluminum transfer cases to help their breakage problems.

If it was a problem with the actual case breaking, I would almost think you could build a "tomb" around it of other materials to keep the case from breaking.

Last edited by Ondonti; 11-01-2006 at 11:05 PM.
post #43 of 212 Old 11-13-2006, 12:48 AM
TD New Guy

You could just adapt a transaxle/transfercase assembly from a DSM, as well as the driveshaft and rear axle setup. It'll hold the power, and it shouldn't be TOO terribly hard to do.

Just my $.02
post #44 of 212 Old 11-13-2006, 01:56 PM

it would be cool to somehow do like they did with the cossie..... longitudinal engine and tranny and awd...... dunno how you would do that though
post #45 of 212 Old 11-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Garrett Booster

I may be wrong, but isn't that how the AWD Magnum is set up. I'm pretty sure Audi, and possibly Astin Martin do their's that way. I agree, I think it'd be a cool set up. I guess if someone wanted to go that route it might be easier to go with a rear wheel conversion and grab a trans out of something like an old bronco and go 4x4. That could certainly take the power as frod had the 351 as an optional engine. I appologize if any of that information is incorrect.

-Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page