RWD Tranny for your 2.2 / 2.5 - Page 3 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

RWD Turbo-Dodge 2.2 / 2.5 / 3.0 RWD Turbo Conversations.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2004, 10:41 PM
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: Dodge Omni GLH clone
Engine: 2.2 inline 4
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 13.100

I really wanna see pics of this. ..and I just may be sending emails/PM your way if I do grab up the MG Midget I have been eyeballing as of late....have to see how this Ontario car insurance thing goes in regards to modded cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2004, 06:15 PM
Garrett Booster

1/4: 0.000

I was hoping nevr2old would jump in here. I'll have to give him credit for jumping on one wild a$$ idea after GLHS#411 got totaled. 2.2 fits nice, some minor issues with water pump, alt etc. and the trans tunnel needs mod. But it's darn close to being ready to go. Yeeeehaaaa!
Old 02-18-2004, 01:38 AM
Boostaholic

Would that Rear Wheel Drive kit work on any 2.2/2.5, like an 89 CSX? =P

16v Neon headed RWD 89 CSX = DREAM CAR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2004, 12:53 PM
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by omnivore
I really wanna see pics of this. ..and I just may be sending emails/PM your way if I do grab up the MG Midget I have been eyeballing as of late....have to see how this Ontario car insurance thing goes in regards to modded cars.
I am still trying to get it in to the shop to finish up the exhaust and tunnel. As soon as I can I will get some pics taken and get them out. If you dont mind seeing a complete mess I could get some taken sooner.
Patrick
Old 04-19-2004, 09:16 PM
Garrett Booster

so, any updates on this hybrid tranny?
Old 05-24-2004, 10:11 PM
Hybrid Booster

Yes, the AX-15 bellhousing does mate up with the Supra trans. I know because I am looking for a nice Supra trans and the bellhousing to put in my Gremlin. Then i have a trans that can handle OK amounts of HP and not break like the T-5 that I am puttin in now.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:41 PM
crossbones

If you're into mid-engined formula/trackday cars, Kennedy Engineered Products makes an adapter plate/flywheel/clutch kit to mate a 2.2L Chrysler engine to a Porsche/VW transaxle. Use a 914 transaxle for a a mid-engine application.

Imagine the posibilities though. 2.2L TD powered Bugs, 914's, Van's, and 911's. I went from wanting to build a TD-914 at first, then i considered using a small British sportscar as mentioned previously. Now i am thinking something inspired by a vintage Formula Ford car, powered by a 2.2 + 914 tranny would be best.

For those of you thinking "MGB" or "Spitfire" check out Champion Motorcar's Lotus 7 kits. Much easier than a formula car, and 250hp in a 900lb car? Say goodbye to Mr. Driver's License.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Hybrid Booster

I have been thinking about building a Lotus Super 7 clone for a while. Got plans from Formula 27, a British kit car company. The book " How to build your own Sports car for under 250pounds" (British book) goes into a lot of the details. Champions cars are based on that.
I got the late Dak bell housing. Was looking for the right deal on a Supra trans. The early Dak trans is junk, avoid it. The late Dak trans and also 2wd Cherokee will work but, truck gearing and the shifter is too far fwd.
The VW adaptor would be neat for a sand buggy. But it would probably be easier to use the engine in the back transversly with a Mopar trans.
Either way, 1000 pound car with RWD and big HP.

01 Subaru JDM Sti Wagon
Old 05-25-2004, 10:24 PM
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: Dodge Omni GLH clone
Engine: 2.2 inline 4
1/4: 13.100

That Kennedy Engneered deal sounds ideal for my dream car-1955 Porsche 550 Spyder, like the one James Dean died in. Although, I'd get a kit car. They are built to use a VW 4 cyl. motor, and I always wondered if a 2.2/A555 could be stuck in there, but the way you described with that adapter, would work awesome. I thought of using a 2.2 T2 becuase to make a 250 HP T2 costs about $1000...and to get that kind of power reliably from a VW motor costs 5 times that, if not more.

Scotty Forgie
Omni GLH clone
T-II/A555
13.1 @105.8 mph(17 psi)..no porting/polishing/cam..3 BAR/+40's,and big exhaust.

88 TBI Omni , to become the new Omnivore

81 TC3 Convertible-1 of 28 built
Old 05-25-2004, 11:07 PM
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 1986 Shelby Charger
Engine: 2.2 pseudo TII

Those Kennedy Engineered kits are designed to use a VW tranny (adapter plates and flywheels) and mount the engine in the stock VW location, so you are stuck with a REAR engine car...not mid engine that is mated to a tranny that won't hold the power. I was looking into it for a 2.2 powered bug but decided on something else.

Instead, my idea has changed to a mid engine RWD 2.2 TII Plymouth Arrow. At 2100 lbs fully loaded it is pretty darn light. I think I can get it down to 1900.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:17 PM
Garrett Booster

Yes, the RS550 is definitely one cool little ride. Beck 550 is a wish list car because it is more accessable and you don't feel like a heathen modding it.
In the meantime I've been eyeing a Ghia for a build and a leftover Mitsu turbo just might find it's way on there!
Sorry got carried away there. As for the Spitfire conversion, it does run. Still waiting for the exhaust and trans tunnel before testing and tuning can begin. It's at the shop now by the way.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:16 AM
crossbones

The 914 uses the same bolt pattern as a normal Bug. However, it is a mid-engine car. Kennedy says they make adapter plates for the 914 tranny as well, so i don't see any reason why you couldn't use one in a mid-engine application..

Maybe i'm missing something.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:07 AM
grezejo63

man have I got it bad.... a cravin for a SC doin a wheel stand.... now thats what I call fun.......with a neon headed 2.5 and a 904
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2004, 12:41 AM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 90 Shadow C/S
Engine: 2.2 vnt (duh)

long run

this post has been going on for almost a year... that's AWESOME!!!
Maybe I just found a way to stick to a manual tranny behind the 273 in the omni, (not a pipe dream I swear) that I've been collecting parts to make happen.....
Thanks to all those that contributed.... I know it's not td, but hey, this post sounds like it may spawn some WICKED rides...
Keep to the grindstones all
Jon
Old 06-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Garrett Booster

Show me some pics! : )

Gotta bring this "year old" thread back to the surface.
nvr2old- What are you doing about the speed/distance sensor? Are you using a SMEC from a manual trans car/van?
I want to do this to my 32 Plymouth 3 window/rumble seat coupe. It's just a shell and a pile of parts now, so I'm not hurting anything. First it will run on a 2.4L/5 speed and chassis from a 93 RAM50. I want to swap to 2.2 or 2.5 T1(and SMEC) with a Dak bell/Supra trans and work the bugs out...then it's time for the Hybrid head.
Jim
edit: So what about the 6 speed? Like from a 95 TT Supra? Is this a different bell/bolt pattern that the earlier (87-92ish) 5 speeds?

Last edited by TurboChry; 06-11-2004 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in