MA5 chevrolet transmission confirmed to work for the 2.0/2.4! - Page 4 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
RWD Turbo-Dodge 2.2 / 2.5 / 3.0 RWD Turbo Conversations.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 59 Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 71 Duster
1/4: 0.000

Re: MA5 chevrolet transmission confirmed to work for the 2.0/2.4!

? ? ?
Dr. Gonzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 59 Old 10-24-2012, 07:10 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 71 Duster

Having some issues with my oil pan clearance. Will the pan from a non turbo 2.4 (Neon, PT Cruiser,Status) fit? Are they all the same bolt pattern?
post #48 of 59 Old 10-24-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 77 Celica Liftback
Engine: 2.4L Dodge 420a
Induct: Turbo

Oil pan is going to be chasis specific. Mine I had to make mid sump to clear both the drag link and the x-member. To answer your question though...yes a non turbo pan will bolt up. The issue with the non turbo pans however(except the later 03+ pans) is that the oil filter adapter is not on the pan. The oil pump itself is different. This is why I used the Liberty oil pump and a Liberty oil filter adapter. This raises the oil filter to the level of the bottom of the block and points it forward(the wrangler oil filter adapter points it to the side). For a RWD application the SRT oil pump and pan are not optimal. I also had to make a custom pickup tube since I had to make my pan mid sump...your needs will vary depending on the chosen chasis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 59 Old 03-22-2013, 03:04 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1984 Chrysler Laser

How different is the 2.4 from the older 2.2? Any chance the M5 could be used there too? I had a Solstice and I loved the MT in it!
post #50 of 59 Old 10-18-2013, 06:26 PM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 71 plymouth duster

Great thread wicked'.... and the reason I tripped over "turbo dodge"(found this place while googling rwd trans options for the 2.4), so thanx for drawing me in

from what I'm reading, I'm really liking this option thus far....especially given how similarly geared it is to the T850 in the srt4... as I'm planning on using a stock srt4 pcm to run things on my intended project since I have my old srt4's original kicking around somewhere amid my piles of random car parts.... not that the pcm cares too much about that similarity lol, but my old retro brain loves the trivial fact that the ratio in 3rd is identical

850 / ma5

1st 3.65 / 3.75
2nd 2.05 / 2.26
3rd 1.37 / 1.37
4th 0.97 / 1.00
5th 0.76 / 0.73

as per this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
Yes...using the 4 cylinder s10 clutch....there are many aftermarket clutch kits available for it as well...though right now I am just running a stockish one without any slip as of yet...most likely I will need a stage 2 by the time I am done..luckily my local clutch shop can build me whatever I need for a good price. I plan on changing out the clutch once I do something about the flywheel. I do have another tranny swap I have on the back burner for the 2.4l that would allow the use of a stock srt-4 clutch...that one will use a Ford T5 trans and a modified fwd neon bell along with an adapter plate...this would allow the use of stock neon clutch components(except for the clutch disc itself which would need to be splined for the t5). The t5 is also a lighter trans by about 50lbs....however it will be harder getting it working and requires more custom fab than this swap.
have you considered eliminating the dual mass completely and perhaps using a fidanza 194541 aluminum flywheel for an srt4 combined with what ever disc and plate combo that will work with the ma5 splines?
post #51 of 59 Old 10-19-2013, 07:29 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 1989 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2l T2

U guys make me spend so much money....now my build plan for my omni is all buggered up. I happen to own a 2004 wrangler with 2.4l that is going on the chopping block for a cummins 4bt. I also happen to have an Explorer 8.8 with chromemoly axles ready for jeep....but would fit an omni... jeezo wiz
post #52 of 59 Old 11-28-2013, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

It wont work...at least not the way I have it set up. The liberty bellhousing is deeper specifically BECAUSE of the dual mass flywheel. The input shaft is too short to use without some custome extended pilot bearing.(I got around this problem by mounting my pilot bearing in the flywheel itself). My(eventual) plan for the flywheel is simply to have Fidanza make me a custom aluminum non dual mass flywheel. It will be thicker than a conventional flywheel but will be able to retain my current pilot bearing setup. Not to say it couldnt be done the way you say...but you would need either a longer input shaft or a custom extended pilot bearing of some sort(not a problem if you have a good machinist). The other downside to your route is simply that there is no gaurantee the starter will line up with the ring gear. Not to mention that if I remember correctly the SRT clutch disc is smaller diameter(and by extension the pressure plate as well)....less potential holding power once you get into upgraded clutches....if you can even find a chevy splined disc to fit with the right thickness. You might be able to do it but its beyond my expertise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek340 View Post
Great thread wicked'.... and the reason I tripped over "turbo dodge"(found this place while googling rwd trans options for the 2.4), so thanx for drawing me in

from what I'm reading, I'm really liking this option thus far....especially given how similarly geared it is to the T850 in the srt4... as I'm planning on using a stock srt4 pcm to run things on my intended project since I have my old srt4's original kicking around somewhere amid my piles of random car parts.... not that the pcm cares too much about that similarity lol, but my old retro brain loves the trivial fact that the ratio in 3rd is identical

850 / ma5

1st 3.65 / 3.75
2nd 2.05 / 2.26
3rd 1.37 / 1.37
4th 0.97 / 1.00
5th 0.76 / 0.73

as per this....

have you considered eliminating the dual mass completely and perhaps using a fidanza 194541 aluminum flywheel for an srt4 combined with what ever disc and plate combo that will work with the ma5 splines?
post #53 of 59 Old 06-16-2014, 07:33 PM
TD New Guy

Just to let u know.....the ACT lightened flywheel is just under $350 and although it only has a 9 11/16" diameter clutch disc contact surface.....I bet that with the proper Pressure plate and disc combo it will hold well over 600 and trq.
2000 Dodge Dakota Club cab
05 SRT-4 (2.5L stroked) GT45 turbo'd engine ^^^ACT pro lite flywheel and H.D.weighted PP
2.8L Colorado 5spd gearbox w/ 2.4L liberty bell
custom Kevlar/Carbon and metalic solid hub reinforced & unsprung clutch disc.
dakota 3.9L V6 rear end (seeking 3.9/ 4.11 internals)....
Gen 2 SRT 10 Viper wheels
Slammed, Cnotched, tubed-n-tucked, SRT8 Brembo 4pot Calipers up front, looking for R/T rear disc brakes conv. 2" drop spindles and Bell Tech sways with 4 link ladders and full body coilovers......
580hp 611 ft. Lbs. Torque. Mopar on Codine-O.G.girlscout cookies and 100%pure uncut columbian coca.......#STEROIDS+DOPE!
post #54 of 59 Old 12-09-2014, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdMaddKanic View Post
Just to let u know.....the ACT lightened flywheel is just under $350 and although it only has a 9 11/16" diameter clutch disc contact surface.....I bet that with the proper Pressure plate and disc combo it will hold well over 600 and trq.
2000 Dodge Dakota Club cab
05 SRT-4 (2.5L stroked) GT45 turbo'd engine ^^^ACT pro lite flywheel and H.D.weighted PP
2.8L Colorado 5spd gearbox w/ 2.4L liberty bell
custom Kevlar/Carbon and metalic solid hub reinforced & unsprung clutch disc.
dakota 3.9L V6 rear end (seeking 3.9/ 4.11 internals)....
Gen 2 SRT 10 Viper wheels
Slammed, Cnotched, tubed-n-tucked, SRT8 Brembo 4pot Calipers up front, looking for R/T rear disc brakes conv. 2" drop spindles and Bell Tech sways with 4 link ladders and full body coilovers......
580hp 611 ft. Lbs. Torque. Mopar on Codine-O.G.girlscout cookies and 100%pure uncut columbian coca.......#STEROIDS+DOPE!
Doesnt matter how much it costs or how light it is, being thinner than the liberty dual mass unit means you risk not getting full spline engagement...how long will the input shaft last in a situation like that?(at best it will be the clutch disc hub that gets destroyed instead of the input shaft itself) Especially under high torque. The problem is the DEPTH of the liberty bellhousing, its deeper that the MA5 input shaft is long, a possible solution is to use a NV1500 input shaft but I dont know if it will fit the MA5 tranny, my guess is no...though if it does it would allow the use of a Chysler clutch and PP, which would mean a different hydraulic TOB spacer..esentially an entire different setup than what I know will work.No...the only correct solution is to call Fidanza and have them make a flywheel just for this application, it would also allow for use of the chevy alignment dowel pattern(to use the chevy PP, I had to remove the liberty alignment dowels because the pattern didnt match the chevy PP, not a big deal, just harder to align is all.
post #55 of 59 Old 03-11-2015, 08:07 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 86 shelby charger
Engine: 2.2
1/4: 16.200

Has anyone inquired about having a flywheel made/ price and then clutch options for higher hp?
post #56 of 59 Old 03-11-2015, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Back when I first did the swap, I called Fidanza about a custom aluminum flywheel, they quoted me a price of $1500 when they had time, which wasnt to be for months. Obviously that was both too slow and out of budget for me, so I never pursued it further.
post #57 of 59 Old 03-11-2015, 10:20 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 86 shelby charger
Engine: 2.2
1/4: 16.200

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
Back when I first did the swap, I called Fidanza about a custom aluminum flywheel, they quoted me a price of $1500 when they had time, which wasnt to be for months. Obviously that was both too slow and out of budget for me, so I never pursued it further.
That seems high for even a 1 off piece. They could basically copy all the dimensions from the jeep dual mass other than the mounting dowls for the different clutch setup. I'm gonna have to see who makes 1 off flywheels and such I don't like the idea of dual mass under the stress I plan on putting it thru.
post #58 of 59 Old 03-11-2015, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

I suppose it depends on how much stress you are putting it through, but you are right, the dual mass is crappy for a lot of reasons and good for none(its no smoother than a conventional wheel from what I can tell)
post #59 of 59 Old 04-06-2015, 07:30 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: srt4

wicked do you have Facebook? if so look me up tator Avery my pic is two add me srt4s need some input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page