RWD Convert Using Junkyard Parts - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
RWD Turbo-Dodge 2.2 / 2.5 / 3.0 RWD Turbo Conversations.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 25 Old 05-05-2015, 01:30 PM
TD Extreme User!

1/4: 0.000

Re: RWD Convert Using Junkyard Parts

mopar969: what is your fabrication skill level? The price tag on this project changes by a factor of 3 or more depending on whether you are planning on doing it yourself or paying someone to do it.

So, re-reading this thread, it looks like the specific answers as to "what tranny for RWD on a 3.0" are:

-Dakota tranny (require fab)
-Mitsubishi montero tranny (does this require fab or is it bolt on?)
-Minivan AWD (require fab)
-Mitsu mightymax (4wd) (bolt on)

And

Best stock 3.0 tranny:

A543

Forum focused on 6g72 RWD swaps:

http://6g72rwd.forumcircle.com/index.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 Old 05-07-2015, 05:13 AM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 92 Duster
Engine: 3.0
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 11.500

There is also information in the RWD section of this forum about Ford C5 bellhousings from 2.8L v6's that bolt up to the 3.0 along with using an AOD converter. Kinda sketchy to try since I have never seen anything but that persons statement. It would be junkyard and cheap.

The idea that a 3.0 is significantly heavier than a dressed T1 setup, maybe as long as you don't measure.
post #18 of 25 Old 01-16-2016, 05:56 PM
TD New Guy

My Ride: aries k

2005-2006 KIA Sorrento 2wd comes with either an auto or a 5 speed that should if I'm not mistaken bolt up to the 3.0. Hope that helps a bit. Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 25 Old 01-17-2016, 06:10 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 90 daytona shelby

I think a v8 should be in order for all the work... if you must run the 2.5 or 3.0 I'm thinking a rear end from a awd mini van, but I don't think it would last long with a v8 . I also wonder about dodge stealth parts, engine, rear end etc. Now a twin turbo 3.0 from a stealth would be interesting
post #20 of 25 Old 01-17-2016, 09:27 PM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 90 DaytonaShelbyVNT
Induct: S/C

I have an idea for you.

Keep your car the way it is (assuming it is a good reliable car).

Buy another car off here or local that has a bad drive train. Then put a small block dodge (318/360) with the auto trans in. The small block and auto will fit into the chassis and you can keep the interior stock. The conversion will be much more straightforward.

Back in the 80s and 90s there was a shop near me that built chrysler drag cars. The guy (Jim Hale) had l lots of mopar racing stuff. I still remember his factory hemi dart and altered wheelbase hemi car. He became very tight with Chrysler and they started having him do things for them.. Chrysler had developed a crossmember that bolted in the daytona to help you convert it to RWD with a small block. They gave him new daytonas for the conversion. It was nice when done. It looked mostly stock on the outside and interior but under the hood was a v8!

Anyway if I was doing a conversion I would do the V8 conversion on another car (it will take forever).

Here are some links
1991 Daytona RWD kit | Unlawfl's Race & Engine Tech | Moparts Forums
426 Hemi, Chrysler, Mopar
BangShift.com This 1990 Dodge Daytona Will Shut Down A The K-Daytona Cracks With A Late-Model Hemi, Six Speed, RWD Soundtrack. - BangShift.com

Thx-Ace
post #21 of 25 Old 01-19-2016, 01:18 AM
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: '89 Shelby CSX
Engine: 2.2

Exline Custom Auto does rwd conversions using 5.7 or 6.1 hemi. They could tell you what they're conversion would cost. Going rwd with a 3.0 would be bad ass if you also went twin turbo. But that depends $$$.
post #22 of 25 Old 01-19-2016, 04:45 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 90 daytona shelby

A stock 3.0 won't beat a 5 year old v6 mustang,camaro, or challenger. Before I would do all the work and spend the money to convert, I think I would just trade the car, or drive as is. I have both fwd and rwd and I honestly find my Shelby Daytona more fun than my 340 challenger
post #23 of 25 Old 04-16-2016, 12:23 PM
TD New Guy

My Ride: Plymouth Cricket

I have a wiring harness for my rwd drive project...How do I wire it up? Its going in a 1972 Plymouth Cricket
post #24 of 25 Old 04-16-2016, 02:15 PM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS
Engine: 2.2

Keep the Daytona as-is. Get a RX-7 and put in an LS1, all the parts needed are off the shelf!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picard-can-of-worms.jpeg
Views:	335
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	196777  
post #25 of 25 Old 01-04-2019, 05:46 PM
TD New Guy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar969 View Post
I understand that no one here is badgering me or being critical of me. On that note I apologize for all the posts. This car is exactly what I want just wich they had more performance upgrades and that it was REAR WHEEL DRIVE!!

So, I am just trying to find a logical way to do this with the car.

If you don't mind can I ask all of you one more question. What is my expected price minus a 318 motor I have. To convert my Daytona to rwd?

Just looking for a realistic price range. Thanks
i agree my 89 daytona 2.5l n/a is lacking but im interested to hear if you had any success
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in