Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Quiet muffler for daily driver

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  jimmyess333 
#1 ·
Hey guys, looking for some insight on muffler options for my van. It's a 3.0 running 2.5" exhaust.
I had a walker quietflow muffler on it, which was perfect sound wise, but it blew apart in 6 months.
I installed a thrush welded (flowmaster style) last night for temporary. It is obnoxious.
If this was my toy, I wouldn't care, but being the main family hauler, it needs to be quiet.

#2 ·
Thinking maybe getting the fwdperformance 3 inch setup with the dynamic super turbo muffler. Any experience guys?

#3 ·
Do you still have a cat? Back in highschool i wanted my duster to sound "sweet" so i played with a few mufflers, i found that pretty much any muffler i put on made it really quiet. Alltho i dont have a 2.5 inch exhaust and still had the stock cat on it.
I do know that when i finally switched to a larger exhaust i lost alot of low end power so when i had to use the car 2 years ago i put a reducer and the stock muffler back on to make it a little nicer to drive everyday.

#4 ·
No cat. 2.5" manifold back.
Never had an issue with losing low end, although I have some supporting mods to the bigger exhaust. :shrug: Running SRI, Ported 52mm TB, Ported Plenum, Mild Porting on the heads, etc. I've always ran big exhaust on my 3.0s, the loss (if any) down low is well worth the gains in the higher revs.
Ordered a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler in 2.5". I'll try that when it arrives. :fingersx:

#5 ·
I tried the no cat option on my Charger a few years back. No matter what rear muffler I put on it it wasn't quiet enough. I added a 18" resonator in place of the cat and it was perfect. The resonator acts like a pre-muffler but it doesn't add any restriction like a cat might. Using an even longer one, like a 24" would probably be even better and there is plenty of room for one, even under a Charger.

#6 ·
I'm going to see how it is with the Dynomax under it. If that's not enough I'll grab a resonator and put it in front of the DM. What are you using for a resonator? I have a Cherry Bomb laying around that I could use?

#7 ·
The Dynomax is a much quieter muffler with a much better tone and almost zero interior resonance. So +1 on that, but it's still a little louder than I would like, so I am going to try adding the Cherry Bomb in front of it tonight.

#8 ·
Ended up cutting a cherry bomb I had shorter, repacking it, and welding it back together. Mounted it on the straight section by the rear axle. It was a lot of work getting it all welded back together, but:
It now sounds perfect, deep rumble at idle, quiet when driving normal, deep growl at WOT. So well worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.