Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Will 52 mm TB and plenum spacers help stock engine?

4K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  jimmyess333 
#1 ·
I know this is a turbo forum so I apologize in advance.
But with limited resources for the 3.0 I was hoping someone can answer my questions.

Would adding intake plenum spacers and/or a 52mm throttle body give a boost in power to a stock engine?

So far I've added:
Better engine ground.
MSD plug wires.
Ram air through the bumper to the air inlet.
K&N panel filter.
Thermal barrier insulation on the bottom of the plenum, intake runners, fuel rail, fuel line.
Differential pin retainers.

I'm thinking about exhaust but I hear that doesn't help this particular motor in stock form.

#15 ·
58 has vac nip. On top yes... dont know if all of them are stamped Holley, but that's on my 58mm as well. I never really noticed a performance increase with bigger TB and spacer... however, dremeling out the bullshit in the upper plenum seemed to have a positive effect on my boosted application.

If your have a p body, anything over a half in plenum spacer will require your hood clearance to change.

#23 ·
The hood clearance is plentiful.
I've been thinking about putting spacers under the plenum.
Are they usually home-made or is there a source?

I have an EGR tube that runs from the rear exhaust manifold to the plenum. It would no longer reach with spacers under the plenum. I'm thinking you guys eliminate this anyway?

#18 ·
1 nipple.. 1 nipple boss = 58mm.
one.. 1 uno #1 nipple.

one.. less than 2 .more than .99

10 look at throttle body.
20 does it have 2 or more nipples? go to 50
30 does it have 1 nipple? go to 60.
40 Does it have zero nipples? Go to 70.
50 Text: superfluous nipples found! Not the Throttle body you are looking for.
60 Text: PERFECT. this is what you need.
70 Text: WTF weirdo.. Google Athelia
80 go to 10

#21 · (Edited)
A little update.
I was able to find a 52mm TB in a junk yard.
It was very dirty but it cleaned up well.
Visually, it looks just like my old one except it has 2 vacuum lines on top and it says HOLLEY on it.
Were all the 52mm TB's HOLLEY units?
I have verified that my old TB was a 47mm.

Attachments

#24 ·
I've had noticeable gains from simple Intake, big TB, Plenum porting + spacers, and larger exhaust.
How much, no idea, but it really opens up the top end, which is where the 3.0 suffers IMO.

#25 ·
Update: The 52mm throttle body is now installed. I was told in the past i would have to bore out the opening on the intake for the 52mm but the hole was already sized for it. The throttle body position sensor and idle control from my old 47mm bolted right into it too. It was a direct swap, no mods needed. Now that I've put a few hundred miles on it i can report that i feel an improvement in the upper midrange and top end. Yet when i cruise on the highway in a relaxed manner i notice no increased fuel consumption. Hot and cold startups are fine. No surging. It was easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.