Turbo Dodge Forums banner

3.0 E85 Tune

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Ondonti 
#1 ·
Not sure if anyones actually pulled the trigger with E for the 6g72 single cam. so Here i have a solid tune ive been working on for a few months. Drivability is superb and the power is aboslutley outstanding! she loves the huge timing increase E allows and with 15psi the power is incredible to say the least. I fell like i can pull some more time to be honest. again, without the dyno, dont feel like taking risks that arent required. I'm working on finding a tuner that will actually tune megasquirt around here. Most people wont touch anything that isnt easy mode anymore Ktune, haltec, etc.. so finding someone worth their weight instead of grabbing base maps is becoming an issue locally.

The only upgrades i've made to the car from switching from 93 are the 1000cc Deatchwerks injectors and playing around with the tune allot. all of my other mods still stand the same. including the 255 wal pump. even at 15psi im only running a max ~9ms pullswidth on these injectors. not even close to max duty. Could easily up boost for more power, but would like to dyno and get numbers now. so heres a pic of my fuel and spark map. and ill upload my MSQ as well so yall can play with it or check out some of the fine tuning. can send some datalogs too if anyone would like.

Well it wont let me upload the MSQ file. so if you want that just ask and ill email it.

Hopefully some of you guys are out there doin some big stuff with 3.0's these days!?!?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm using det cans to monitor knock when I'm driving. Typically I have a buddy drive while I play around. Also, I dont post on Ms site anymore. After about 5 postings and noone of being any use whatsoever and troll responses. That place is just cancer and I steer clear of it.

#4 ·
Update:: for all my haters who probably think I'm running too much timing. I've actually added more timing. Put her on a dyno and finally have some numbers to show for it. With 0 detonation btw. So officially heres the numbers I got.

94 degrees outside side and my boost capped out at 12psi for whatever reason... the car will usually hold down 14psi. But I typically only drive it at night to race meets. Preferes that cold breeze .

So @12psi all of my supporting mods and a max timing advance of 26* at 5000 rpm she made 321hp and 346lbft at 4650 rpm on e85 to the wheels! wish I would have gotten my 14psi. Would have liked to been closer to 350whp... but hey, not complaining!

Actually was able to go to 28 degrees without knock. However, hp gain wasnt worth the stress so we brought it back down... enjoy the graph! Let me know if anyone converts to E. I'll gladly send over my tune...

Attachments

#5 ·
Would you say this is the easiest way to gain power?

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to cars/performance mods. I have a SOHC 3.0 Daytona and a LeBaron that I would like to some day modify for more streetable power. Maybe somewhere in the 180-200+ hp range. Just something that isn't so sluggish compared to your average semi-modern car.

Is the process for converting to E85 really just upgrading fuel system components and running an appropriate tune or is there more than meets the eye?

#6 ·
Well with E85 IMO you would need to be on a stand alone engine management system at that point... youre not really going to see the benefits of E unless you're able to play with the timing, etc. If you're wanting to be in the 200hp range I'd honestly consider the typical bolt ons... custome exhaust, headers back... bigger throttle body, cams and so on. It would be more cost effective at that HP range to stay with 93 pump gas and simple mods.

Not saying E85 won't benefit any build, but to unlock all of its glory. You'll need full controllability over your engine management system to maximize its gains. Stock ECU won't compensate for the amount of fuel flow you'll need to handle E.

#8 ·
I would highly suggest you buy the sohc headers for the single cam engine in the 3000 gt. Ebay ones, thats what I purchased. With a little modding they're bolt up to our 3.0 and itll be good flow for your n/a application. Then if you want to go turbo you can chop them up like I did and build turbo headers out of them. See my custom turbo headers build a few posts back for reference.

#9 ·
I know nothing of these headers. But a company called GENIE makes some. Also out of Straya. Maybe they make some that would fit your model. Little more affordable, shipping is a little cheaper.

I bought the RPW/Pacemakers for my Montero and the quality is pretty nice. No regrets yet.

cheers

poorman

#10 ·

These are what I purchased... they were only like 400 bucks when I bought them though.

#11 ·
Not sure if anyones actually pulled the trigger with E for the 6g72 single cam. so Here i have a solid tune ive been working on for a few months. Drivability is superb and the power is aboslutley outstanding! she loves the huge timing increase E allows and with 15psi the power is incredible to say the least. I fell like i can pull some more time to be honest. again, without the dyno, dont feel like taking risks that arent required. I'm working on finding a tuner that will actually tune megasquirt around here. Most people wont touch anything that isnt easy mode anymore Ktune, haltec, etc.. so finding someone worth their weight instead of grabbing base maps is becoming an issue locally.

The only upgrades i've made to the car from switching from 93 are the 1000cc Deatchwerks injectors and playing around with the tune allot. all of my other mods still stand the same. including the 255 wal pump. even at 15psi im only running a max ~9ms pullswidth on these injectors. not even close to max duty. Could easily up boost for more power, but would like to dyno and get numbers now. so heres a pic of my fuel and spark map. and ill upload my MSQ as well so yall can play with it or check out some of the fine tuning. can send some datalogs too if anyone would like.

Well it wont let me upload the MSQ file. so if you want that just ask and ill email it.

Hopefully some of you guys are out there doin some big stuff with 3.0's these days!?!?
I don't know if you are still messing around with this, but if you follow the OEM 3.0 table, they really bring in the timing as RPMs go up and the OEM HP starts dropping. OEM is like 20 at peak torque but 27+ at 5700rpm ish.

You can keep your peak torque safe and not feel bad about more timing at higher rpms. Based on the old Ed Kelly/Mike Mulhern tests, no power is gained with added timing below 3000 but steady gains above.

Ive made some pretty boring pump gas tunes, but realize I didn't pull any timing on E85 back in 2009, and at lower boost, like 16psi, full n/a timing was fine. Over 20psi, no, not at all.