Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Huge Turbo Acclaim

36K views 174 replies 30 participants last post by  Dr.shred 
#1 ·
I contemplated building something like this for years. ive finally created a monster!

#38 ·
Next step will be the aftermarket efi. 3 puck clutch and aprox 50lb injectors. working on a set of heads for the next motor. gonna do silly big cams and big box intake. got huge tb like 90mm of of chevy. i think 50 lb injectors. what u guys think.? also going to build new front manifold to replace shitty stock one.

#42 ·
I have driven a NA 3L with a 70mm TB and the throttle is definitely 'touchy'... I can't imagine how touchy a 90mm and turbo would be... A progressive throttle would definitely be needed for any kind of street driving...

Since this is a turbo vehicle, I would recommend starting with a 60mm before trying anything larger...

#44 ·
On my site, I have instructions on how to get a 60mm TB from a 4L Jeep setup to work with our engines. If you want to a little bit larger, there are people on e-bay that sell the Jeep TB ported out to 62mm.

For injectors, what year electronics are you running? 92+ would be high-impedance. If so look for ones for 5L Mustangs. If you are running low-impedance injectors, look for ones for the 2.2L turbo cars.

Common sizes for the Mustang injectors are 26, 30, 36, 42, 55. With stock electronics, 42s seem to be at the hairy edge of usable... It took some effort to be able to turn the fuel pressure down far enough so the engine didn't idle pig rich (.92+v on the narrow band O2 sensor.)

I am currently running some 30s. 26s were a little small to support >240 whp @4800 RPM (260 ft-lbs.) I plan to try 36s and hopefully get back to the 42s...

#50 ·
The problem I was having with 42s was the idle injector pulse-width was ~1.4msec even with the base fuel pressure turned way down (low-teens.) 1.4 is really low, 2.2-2.6msec is more what it should be.

Quick primer for those not familar with EFI. The injector pulse-width is broken into two parts. The first is the time for the coil in the injector to saturate and start moving the pintle. Typical values are ~1 msec.

The second is an actual measure of the time the fuel is flowing (aka amount of fuel delivered. At idle you want your typical values large enough that you have some control. I am not sure what the stock ECU's granularity is, but the MS manual indicates it can control the pulse-width in 0.1 msec increaments.

So for the 42s in the above example, fuel flow time is ~0.4msec. With 0.1msec granularity, plus or minus 1 tick (0.1 msec) is 25% increase or decrease in fueling. That is a big delta...

It is recommended that minimum injector on times be ~2.0.

So I am using 30s (looking for a good price on 36s to test them.) I will probably hook up two of the 42s to the e-Manage to be auxillary injectors..

#51 ·
Wanted to add that those numbers are for 92 octane pump gas. If you run e85, you will want bigger injectors.

PS. I have heard that there can be real hp gains from using e85. You have to increase fueling, but since the fuel is 'oxygenated', it brings some O2 to the table. That is inaddition to gains from tuning for the increased octane levels...

#57 ·
The progressive throttle cam I built for my mustang 4.6L 65mm TB works pretty darn well when it comes to throttle control. I have never had a problem with my ported 58mm and stock throttle cam. The only time the 58mm setup sucks is when the emissions people can't get it to hold a certain rpm on their loadless dynos.

I think a 75mm mustang size is probably adequate for most setups. I think thats the biggest the mustang TB pattern supports though :(

I really want some 1000cc Buggatti Veyron injectors. They are said to behave better then 500cc injectors even at 1 millisecond type opening times.
They also continue gaining flow all the way to 150psi fuel pressure.
So if you ever run out of fuel injector but have extra fuel pump, just increase pressure!
They are about 90-100 dollars a piece though. The absolute best injectors on the planet right now! Nothing else compares that I know of. Thats why everyone these days is working on huge fuel systems so they can use these injectors even if they need more fuel then the injectors can support. Some hondas are running 150psi fuel pressure because these injectors will act more like 1600+cc injectors at that pressure.
The injectors were developed specifically for the Veyron so thats why they kick so much butt. They are not just a "larger"/modified restrictor oldschool injector design. I think I have said this before but 6 cylinder motors can support about equal HP to injector cc at about 50-70psi fuel pressure. Veyron has 16 injectors. Meaning it can support over 2000hp from the factory at normal fuel pressures, and about 3000hp at 150psi fuel pressure. What in the world did they design these injectors for!! lol. but thanks :)

I have 47# injectors with my E70 fuel but I can't justify an injector upgrade to something larger. Even with E70 my megasquirt seems to hate low rpm idle. One problem is that I only have 1 functional injector driver. I dropped from 6 squirts per second to 2. It doesn't seem to run on 1 right now. I will be working on that so I can get higher idle pulse width.
I still have to mess with megasquirt more because 47# injectors on E70 are more like a 38# injector with gasoline so they should run better then Ed's 42's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.