Turbo Dodge Forums banner

41TE/a604 info thread

26K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  cheezit53 
#1 · (Edited)
A604/41TE Upgrades and maintenance

Ok we all know the a604 can fail even with the mighty 142hp the stock 3.0L makes but there are things you can do to help

Let’s start off with just maintenance and preventative mods to help it live longer

The first is to get the firm ware updated at a dealer. starting in 1992 Chrysler started phasing in a TCM that could be flashed with new programming. If you have an older car you might be able to swap in the newer style TCM from a 93 or 92 they seem to have the same plug I have not tried to see if it will work but I plan to when I get the car running again

The second is change your fluid with ATF +3 or +4 depending on what it has all ready and a new mopar filter with the anti foaming additive this alone allowed me to drive my car for another year until it fully gave out

A good external trans cooler coupled with the factory trans cooler will also help. you want the fluid to go though the factory cooler first then the external cooler the factory radiator cooler helps heat up the fluid in the winter and helps it get up to the proper operating temp quicker and puts less strain on the trans fluid pump. Any good quality 6 row cooler will work like this one Flex-a-lite 4116 - Flex-a-lite TransLife Transmission Coolers - Overview - SummitRacing.com or the factory external cooler form the cargo caravans if you see one in a scrap yard

put an external filter in line after the coolers. Just a oil filter relocation kit will work with a screw on filter like this Summit Racing SUM-G4985-1 - Summit Racing® Oil Filter Relocation Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com change that filter when ever you change the engine oil and top off the trans change the internal filter at the factory 30k-40k mile interval.

the Diff pin is also a weak point you can weld the pin in place or get the diff pin hold brackets both work fine but for $7 the diff pin retainer is not that bad in cost http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com...tial_pin_retainer_bracket_p/500-00055957g.htm

And finally the updated solenoid pack Chrysler put out in 2004 it should be made by Borg and Warner. It runs quieter but that is not the main thing it also works better and quicker then the older one and is more reliable and does not get clogged up as easily

And now that your trans is running in the best shape it can and all the maintenance and preventative care is done we can get into performance to help the a604/41TE to hold power starting with the easy things first

A shift kit or shift improver kit. like the transgo one part number SK604. Helps shorten the piston movements and helps the fluid divert faster and engage the clutches better also helps increase pressure so the clutches hold better

also with the shift kit you can modify your VB by enlarging some holes yu can do one or the toher or both. both would give the best results here is a the instructions from the wiki

Next performance mod is a LSD there are 2 that I know the phantom grip wich is 2 blocks of metal with some springs that push out or the OBX torsion unit. the torsion unit is the one for the 5 speed you will need a shim just like on the 3-speed. witht eh phantom grip to help it last longer get the side gears it rides on machined flat

Shorter gear ratios the a604/41TE has had many different gear ratios over the years depending on vehicle and engine option here is a list
3.8L 3.45
3.3L 3.6
3.0L 3.6
2.5L 3.9
2.4L 3.9
2.0L 4.1

Higher stall TC there is companies that will make you one if someone has a list or some links to where one could buy a performance 41TE torque converter and what stall speed that would be awesome. converters can be found here http://shop.rezlo.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=39&zenid=40e0bb1a2b062773fc30d47bd0e37cda

a full rebuild with the later parts found in 2004+ 41TE’s they have improved hard parts and other updates Chrysler has done over the years. If anyone has links to where to get improved stronger clutch packs from please post I know they exist I was just unable to find where they are sold

and finally the last thing you can do is an aftermarket trans controller there is only one choice I know of and it has not been completely tested on a 41TE/a604 is Megashift controller using a GPOI board and making it your self it was shown to change gears and drive the car but after that initial success it was never really looked into beyond that
here is the megashift site MegaShift - (c) 2004, 2012 Bowling and Grippo

If any one has any thing to add or correct me on please post lets try and get some info on the 41TE/a604 in one place

See less See more
#3 ·
Rezlo produces stalls for the a604/41te. Also for those of you who are junk yard performance oriented, I used a mid/late 90's Dodge Ram (with the towing package) transmission cooler. It is MUCH larger than a B&M super cooler and much better in price. To make it fit I did have to cut some tabs, make a bracket, and cut down the lines some. It is a made by Modine. I bypassed the stock trans cooler (imo pointless running trans fluid into a hot radiator when it never gets too cold around my area to need to be excessively heated). The trans seems much happier with the new cooler (could just be me but the shifts seem more precise and smoother). Also ATF+4 is ATF+4, I used Walmart's "SuperTech" brand which is $4.29 a quart. Same stuff as the Mopar brand just in a different bottle, no need to pay extra. Of course this has been covered but, fresh ATF+4/Filter/Gasket is the key. My a604 still had the original ATF+3 and kept the trans alive all the way up to the 142K it is on now. NEVER run dexron or multi-vehicle fluids franchise shops love to offer (they are just Dexron with subpar additives included). ATF+4 only, no "Trick Shift", "Type F", "Dexron", etc. Oh yeah, forgot to add. The diff pin seems to be the major weak point in the 604. You can have it welded for greater strength. Shift kit and kevlar clutches are a good idea too. :D

Mopar : Rezlo Converters, Online Store

STRATUSPHERE: 4-speed (A604 or 41TE) Automatic Transmission Information

#8 ·
i would not recommend the phantom grip at all. i forget the specifics but ive heard of them giving out and grenading the trans and making a huge mess of things.

not sure if the obx for the auto is the same as for the 5spd. the 5spd model needs to be "prepared" or it will fail. this includes replacing the factory bolts and washers and torquing them down properly (or something like that, i havnt looked into it much). That would be something i would deff look into before spending money in that area. research research research.

#9 ·
If you use the OBX in the 41te, it takes the MTX one and needs the same spacer that the 413/31th guys need. There's a very expensive one designed specifically for the 41te, I think it's Pelican brand, maybe?
I chose to run the 41te simply to go AWD, so LSD was pretty well out in my case.

#11 ·
Edge torque converters will build you a custom converter for YOUR application, not just a generic generalized part. He will need to know the weight of the car with the driver, final drive ratio, displacement, h.p. ect. They will upgrade to some billet internals, anti ballooning plates if desired/needed, many different stators to chose from, and they are much more tighter when they are done. He will also steer you in the right direction for internal parts. The Kevlar clutches are not always the best for a street strip car. He also says to use the BW solinoid pack and NOT the Mopar unit. Wiki has a valve body mod to quicken the shifts. The Trans Go shift kit does not firm up shifts like a normal shift kit. The primary cause for failure for the Phantom Grip is improper instal. The side gears need machined square for a mating surface. If they are not machined flat, you WILL tear it up. For upgraded hard parts, go with the latest upgrades for the mini van, such as the 5 pinion planetary that is heat treated, upgraded pump and so on.

#15 ·
I just read most of the 25 page thread on neons.org. It has a ton of info. To the point, there was a guy "racersteve' that was running a mostly stock 41te in the 9's. Both of the controllers that were available for the 41te are NLA. The tcm's can be flashed for another vehicle/shift programming. What this means is that a flash for a 2.4 Stratus with a 6500 rpm shift point can be used in the 3.0 TCM. These transmissions were crap when they first came out, but the late model minivans that were rated for towing were a pretty stout unit, as a 2005 van for example had a 5600 lb. gvw and could tow a 1000 lb. trailer, and still come with a warranty.

#19 ·
I have found that older dealerships tend to do stuff like this. I have a dealer here who has been in business for 45 years!!!! they do a lot of cool stuff! but the reflash they want the whole car there. I tried to bring just the tcm and they said they needed the whole car!:mad:

#23 ·
updated first page as i found some info on using the 93+ trans controller and how to modify it here is the site. it may not work as i had to access a cached verstion of the site as it seems to be no longer up

A-604 Transmission Controllers

Certain models of the new generation of controllers will not be compatible with the older vehicle operations in one area. They
will have a problem with unintentional shifting from fourth to third gear, or third to fourth gear (at fourth gear speeds) whenever
the brake pedal is pushed. The part number of these older controllers are:

The modification to correct this problem is quite simple. Locate the wire at Pin #49 on the TCM harness connector. If there is
no wire at this location, no modification is required. If there is a wire, cut the wire approx. 3" from the TCM connector. Fold 1"
of each wire end back on itself. Slide a 2" piece of shrink tubing over each of the folded ends and shrink the tubing to seal the
wire ends. The new TCM will now work properly.

#26 · (Edited)
Re: 41TE/a604 info thread - aftermarket transmission controllers?

A604/41TE Upgrades and maintenance

...and finally the last thing you can do is an aftermarket trans controller there is only one choice I know of and it has not been completely tested on a 41TE/a604 is Megashift controller using a GPOI board and making it your self it was shown to change gears and drive the car but after that initial success it was never really looked into beyond that
here is the megashift site MegaShift - (c) 2004, 2012 Bowling and Grippo

If any one has any thing to add or correct me on please post lets try and get some info on the 41TE/a604 in one place
This thread is almost 4 years old...are there any updates on a programmable shift controller available for a 41TE? (mine is a 40TES)

They still sell the MegaShift...

And today I found an aftermarket controller that purportedly works on a 42LE:
https://www.powertraincontrolsoluti...n_Products/TCM-2000_Transmission_Controller/#

With their harness:
https://www.powertraincontrolsoluti...ts/TCM-2000_Transmission_Controller/TCM-4106/

On their homepage, they don't seem very DIY-friendly, although there's THIS page, which says it comes with programming software and instructions:
http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/1auto_pcm.htm

Also found this...page 3 shows the 41TE as an application:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...28.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHrJwFLQLR8lKnO5JMD5ctZ3vrw4A

I know that the computer and internals of a 42LE are almost exactly the same as a 41te...
I guess the REAL question is this: does anybody have any educated opinion as to whether this controller will work on a 40TES?
All I really want to do is control the shift points.

#27 ·
Re: 41TE/a604 info thread - aftermarket transmission controllers?

This thread is almost 4 years old...are there any updates on a programmable shift controller available for a 41TE? (mine is a 40TES)

They still sell the MegaShift...

And today I found an aftermarket controller that purportedly works on a 42LE:
https://www.powertraincontrolsoluti...n_Products/TCM-2000_Transmission_Controller/#

With their harness:
https://www.powertraincontrolsoluti...ts/TCM-2000_Transmission_Controller/TCM-4106/

On their homepage, they don't seem very DIY-friendly, although there's THIS page, which says it comes with programming software and instructions:
Electronic Control Module

Also found this...page 3 shows the 41TE as an application:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...28.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHrJwFLQLR8lKnO5JMD5ctZ3vrw4A

I know that the computer and internals of a 42LE are almost exactly the same as a 41te...
I guess the REAL question is this: does anybody have any educated opinion as to whether this controller will work on a 40TES?
All I really want to do is control the shift points.
Actually, there is a development thread over on Turbo-Mopar where Boost Button is trying to reverse engineer the code in the A604 controller so hopefully he can develop software to improve/reprogram the TCU. He is still in the very early stages, but he is making progress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.