2006 PT Cruiser, won't display ODBII codes - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Tech Questions and Answers Here\'s where you can ask your general mechanical/technical questions and the community will do their best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 Old 11-11-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS
Engine: 2.2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Re: 2006 PT Cruiser, won't display ODBII codes

Does it mean anything that would help me continue to diagnose this problem to know that the "PRNDL" has all the segments lit? I noticed driving the car tonight that "PRND" are all lit and moving the gear selector doesn't make any difference. Is this maybe common for cars stuck in limp-in mode/2nd gear?

I was told when I bought the car that it needed a TCM (transmission control module) and I know in 2006 it is part of the ECM module but since I can't currently (*yet) pull codes I don't have a convenient way to determine that it needs a computer or it's something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 11-12-2018, 08:50 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKESHELBYS View Post
Does it mean anything that would help me continue to diagnose this problem to know that the "PRNDL" has all the segments lit? I noticed driving the car tonight that "PRND" are all lit and moving the gear selector doesn't make any difference. Is this maybe common for cars stuck in limp-in mode/2nd gear?
Unfortunately I have no idea.
Working at a dealership I had access to all service info, tsb's and scanners.
I have no info available to me now.
post #18 of 23 Old 11-13-2018, 05:40 PM
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 92 Iroc R/T Red
Engine: TIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKESHELBYS View Post
Tried the traditional key dance...on off on off on and all I get is "- - - - - - -" and then "- -done- -" and it never displays any codes.
The key dance did work. That is exactly what the engine computer shows when it isn't storing a code.

I'm not familiar with your scan tool does it scan just engine computers or does it scan all modules?

If the trans is in limp mode I would unplug the tcm and try to scan the system a down fall of the can system is if a module fails it can talk trash on the system and you can't talk to anything. We recently had a crown vic not talking the instrument cluster was the issue. we unplugged it and the the ecm and abs started talking again,

If that doesn't help breakout the books and start ohming the buss network starting at the obd2 plug. make sure the obd2 plugs power and grounds work.

maybe we can learn the pt's together I just pulled the pistons out of an 05 PT turbo we picked up for scrap value. Last owner pulled the head when the timing belt broke and he thought it had bent valves. So now cylinders need honed water in holes started to rust.
Tim

68 Dodge Charger R/T 440 4sp Red
92 Dodge Daytona Iroc R/T Red
93 Dodge Daytona Iroc R/T Green
94 Chrysler LeBaron Convertable GTC
92 Plymouth Voyager LE
94 Chrysler Town & Country
66 Dodge Dart GT 273 (needs restored but runs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 23 Old 11-14-2018, 12:45 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1983 rampage custom

Garage

check your cig lighter fuse same one powers OBD
post #20 of 23 Old 11-14-2018, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Naturally Aspirated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuguley View Post
check your cig lighter fuse same one powers OBD
I did check all the fuses first, they are all good. I also physically removed each of them and inspected. I have also been pulling connectors, looking for pushed back pins, corrosion, chafed wires, repair splices, etc. So far everything looks clean and original. Thanks for the suggestion.

Check
post #21 of 23 Old 11-14-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Naturally Aspirated

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger R/T View Post
The key dance did work. That is exactly what the engine computer shows when it isn't storing a code.

I'm not familiar with your scan tool does it scan just engine computers or does it scan all modules?

If the trans is in limp mode I would unplug the tcm and try to scan the system a down fall of the can system is if a module fails it can talk trash on the system and you can't talk to anything. We recently had a crown vic not talking the instrument cluster was the issue. we unplugged it and the the ecm and abs started talking again,

If that doesn't help breakout the books and start ohming the buss network starting at the obd2 plug. make sure the obd2 plugs power and grounds work.

maybe we can learn the pt's together I just pulled the pistons out of an 05 PT turbo we picked up for scrap value. Last owner pulled the head when the timing belt broke and he thought it had bent valves. So now cylinders need honed water in holes started to rust.
Tim
Ahhhh, I see you have studied up a bit on CAN bus also! That is a great idea about unplugging the TCM connector to see if the bus comes back up. I'll give that a try as soon as it stops raining here in Georgia. Feeling like Noah and wondering if the PT Cruiser might be my arc!

I have been reviewing the FSM and all the diagrams and diagnostic procedures. Man...this car is full of electronics there are hundreds of pages of diagnostics and the 4 volume FSM set is almost a foot thick.

It makes sense that since one module can bring down the entire CAN bus, the cluster will show all gears illuminated (an indication its not getting signal from the transmission selector sensor), the ABS light would be on, and the check engine light. If I do that and the CAN comes back to life, my Foxwell scanner should be able to then read any codes that might be stored. It reads engine and tranny but not SRS or ABS. Didnt think of that when I bought it so I am going to return it and get the Innova 3100j, which is a consumer reports best buy and several online review sites also picked it in at least the top 5.
post #22 of 23 Old 11-15-2018, 10:07 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

Did you get or have access to a scanner?

Do not know about aftermarket scanners but the DRB3 will run a module scan to see which modules are on the bus system.
If any are absent you need to run the appropriate diagnostics.

Also, if the scanner shows no communication then again you must run the appropriate diagnostics.

Unfortunately with today's cars and especially with the start of CAN Bus systems in 2006 it is Extremely Difficult if not near impossible to properly diagnose issues without a scanner and the proper service info.

That's why my family members only lease vehicles and turn them back in every two years for the next newer model and "Factory Warranty".

Jan
1990 Daytona Shelby VNT

40 Years ASE Certified (Retired)
post #23 of 23 Old 11-19-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Naturally Aspirated

I have an aftermarket Innova 3100j scanner and a FSM. I am working down the list of steps for diagnostics of the CAN initially. It seems/I know that if any of the modules on the bus has lost its ground or is shorted, it brings the entire bus down. Unplugging modules one at a time will sometimes bring the bus alive again where you can then scan for codes. So initially I am checking to determine the bus has the proper 60 ohms of termination and a good solid ground and power at each module, as well as at the diagnostics connector.

Apparently the instrument cluster displaying that the transmission is n all gears at the same time and the ABS light being on and the check engine light being on is an indication that the cluster is not communicating with the bus, not necessarily that I have trouble with all those symptoms. So it's possible if not likely that if I unplug the offending module(s) some of the problems will go away, or at least I should be able to then read codes. Right now I have to get the CAN Bus interface functioning first to be able to do that.

The CAN interface has two voltages, a high voltage and a low voltage, and there is a ground. If I can confirm that I have high & low and ground at each module as well as at the diag connector, then I have a module bringing down the CAN bus, one of them will be shorted to ground or allow the buss to come back if unplugged.

Working on it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page