The BMF intake is BACK for 2017! - Page 7 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Group Buy/Product Polls The area to set up polls and group buys for newly developed products

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 132 Old 07-20-2017, 12:18 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: GLHS 958
Engine: 2.2 Turbo II
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Re: The BMF intake is BACK for 2017!

Is the plenum plate 3/8" thick? You could machine at least 1/4" away safely, but I don't think that would be enough. Could you run a bolt through from the front with the KSM pulled out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 132 Old 07-20-2017, 12:36 AM

My Ride: Chrysler ES
Engine: 2.5L intercooled

Thanks,
Unfortunately not, the tube flange is hitting the intake and only one of the 2 bolts can be used.
post #93 of 132 Old 07-20-2017, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
TD Extreme User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvysion View Post
Asa,

If you make this special 655 intake, could you modify it in order to give more clearance with the exhaust manifold (+1cm) ?
I can't bolt a tube for the wastegate.
See my picture
The 655 version changes only the internal flow volume of the head flange, nothing else changes.

Changing the external geometry of the BMF design is extremely difficult and basically impossible for something like moving the plenum up, without a complete redesign. Do you see anything specific that I could modify that would fix your problem? Its not easy to see exactly how much space you need. Do you mean the wastegate flow tube, or the wastegate actuator arm?

A better solution for you might be to ask around and see if anyone else has your turbo/wastegate and a BMF and how they dealt with it..there are about 40 out there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 132 Old 07-20-2017, 01:00 AM

This is this kind of tube (38mm) that I have to use in order to have the external wastegate moved away for more space.
In order to be able to bolt the tube flange, its thickness should be null.

May be an internal plate could be welded inside the plenum giving more thickness in the wall in order to grind it from the outside.
I need 5mm more clearance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img-370-1-large.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	232082  
post #95 of 132 Old 07-20-2017, 07:31 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: MS3
Engine: 2L I-4
Induct: N/A

Nvysion, is that a Holset hy35 on that manifold? Is it possible to get your clearance by cutting off the wastegate flange and rotating it 90? Of course your tube to move the wastegate would need it's flange rotated as well.
post #96 of 132 Old 07-20-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
TD Extreme User!

Quote:
This is this kind of tube (38mm) that I have to use in order to have the external wastegate moved away for more space.
In order to be able to bolt the tube flange, its thickness should be null.

May be an internal plate could be welded inside the plenum giving more thickness in the wall in order to grind it from the outside.
I need 5mm more clearance.
Hmmm I think in this case your best bet for something that is problem free and looks as good as possible is to find someone local to you that can modify-it-to-fit with the wastegate pipe in hand.

But if there is anything you can do to avoid modifying the BMF I would do that first..a wastegate pipe is alot easier to fix/replace than the BMF. Maybe a custom pipe can be made that has a bend or something?
post #97 of 132 Old 07-20-2017, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger

Louis , is there space for everything to fit as is , meaning to ask if the additional space you need is to get access to get the bolt into the hole

or is there not enough room for both flanges to mate , regardless of the bolt

would a bolt with a thinner head profile get it together ?

- if you bolted the tube to the flange at the headder , then installed both the headder and intake onto the head would it fit ?

if that last suggestion comes close to fitting , could you get away with grinding a little off the head of the bolt once the tube is attached to the headder (but before it all goes onto the head

or would a bolt with a head that looks like this help ?
https://www.boltdepot.com/Socket_but...-8_3_8-16.aspx

please note I'm not posting a bolt size or thread referance , simply a bolt type
- you would have to select the correct size and thread from the list for your project , if it's there

>>>>>>.......OR.......<<<<<<<

IF the tube was installed , would you still have access to all the other bolts for instalation and removal of the headder and intake ?

IF so , I'd consider having the two flanges welded together and forget about bolting them together

if the two flanges were welded together you would possibly be able to grind off anything needed for fitment as you would no longer need the provisions for the bolts

and you would also eliminate any chance of an exhaust leak happening at the flanges which might be a lot of trouble to fix once in the car

and once together I'd consider supporting the other end of that tube so that you don't develop a crack somewhere from vibration and stress

a strap of metal with a hole in one end that could be bolted down anywhere and the other end tac welded to the tube
post #98 of 132 Old 07-20-2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
TD Extreme User!

if you show me the area of the BMF you think needs to be ground, I can go into solidworks and see exactly how much thickness is there to be ground away
post #99 of 132 Old 07-20-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchaCuda View Post
Nvysion, is that a Holset hy35 on that manifold? Is it possible to get your clearance by cutting off the wastegate flange and rotating it 90? Of course your tube to move the wastegate would need it's flange rotated as well.
it is a he351 holset
yes, it is a good idea, I will have to buy a not stainless stell tube for welding.
post #100 of 132 Old 07-20-2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
Louis , is there space for everything to fit as is , meaning to ask if the additional space you need is to get access to get the bolt into the hole

or is there not enough room for both flanges to mate , regardless of the bolt

would a bolt with a thinner head profile get it together ?

- if you bolted the tube to the flange at the headder , then installed both the headder and intake onto the head would it fit ?

if that last suggestion comes close to fitting , could you get away with grinding a little off the head of the bolt once the tube is attached to the headder (but before it all goes onto the head
Unfortunately there is not enough space for the flange, regardless of the bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
IF the tube was installed , would you still have access to all the other bolts for instalation and removal of the headder and intake ?

IF so , I'd consider having the two flanges welded together and forget about bolting them together

if the two flanges were welded together you would possibly be able to grind off anything needed for fitment as you would no longer need the provisions for the bolts

and you would also eliminate any chance of an exhaust leak happening at the flanges which might be a lot of trouble to fix once in the car

and once together I'd consider supporting the other end of that tube so that you don't develop a crack somewhere from vibration and stress

a strap of metal with a hole in one end that could be bolted down anywhere and the other end tac welded to the tube
Thanks Johnny, that is a good idea.

Another option would be to find a ported lower 2piece, as I already have a big plenum
With it, I would not even need the tube.
post #101 of 132 Old 07-20-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acannell View Post
if you show me the area of the BMF you think needs to be ground, I can go into solidworks and see exactly how much thickness is there to be ground away
Thanks Asa,
I do appreciate your help.
I need 5mm, I'm sure there is not enough thickness in the plenum.
I will probably go with your 655 intake.
If only there would be other buyers, that would reduce it price.
post #102 of 132 Old 07-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Boostaholic

My Ride: GLHS 958
Engine: 2.2 Turbo II

Does that make three people interested in the 655 BMF now?
post #103 of 132 Old 07-21-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
TD Extreme User!

Quote:
Thanks Asa,
I do appreciate your help.
I need 5mm, I'm sure there is not enough thickness in the plenum.
I will probably go with your 655 intake.
If only there would be other buyers, that would reduce it price.
I need to know exactly where you want to grind on the BMF, so I can check the model and give you advise. 5mm is alot but depending on how you grind it and where it might be possible
post #104 of 132 Old 07-21-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
TD Extreme User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSATANSSEAT View Post
Does that make three people interested in the 655 BMF now?
I think its just you and Louis?

655 BMF interest list:

$200 upgrade, BMF head flanges CNC ported to match 655 intake gasket, maintaining 3 axis surfaces smoothly transitioned into circular BMF runner

1. nvysion
2. INSATANSSEAT
3. ?
post #105 of 132 Old 07-22-2017, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger

personally , and I say it with a great deal of respect as I've followed what Louis has been doing
.. I can only imagine the fight he's put into it to considering where he and all the parts are

and the distance between .. not to mention finding any help who has a freeking clue ...

but with all that Louis .. buddy , you need to pull down your swim goggles , pinch your nose , take a deep breath and run down the dock as fast as you can .. and jump as hard as ya can into the lake

and weld up that wastegate flange and port that bmf you already have aka pope style

remember the grinder has a variable speed control so you don't have to worry to much

and remember if you're shy about getting close to the gasket line with the grinder there's always a nice slow hand file ... which will also find your high and low spots .. and correct them
but remember you're not really supposed to use a file on aluminum so your still going to have to leave some metal so you can finish sand the file marks out too

and you will want to invest in a file brush , card , to clean the file .. a lot as it will want to clog up fast , and a lot

and you probably don't really need to get the ports to close the the exact gasket size at the bottom so you might not need to make as thin as you might think

if your gasket set came with a stamped tin intake/exhaust gasket then use it as a template to match the ports in the head vs the intake .. not so much to match exactly the gasket

which is the correct way to do porting because you're kind of wasting half the effort if the parts aren't matched to each other

but use the composite thicker style gasket to put the motor together

the steel ones are not so good for sealing .. and if your bottom corners do turn out kind of thin the composite , thicker gasket will allow the thin areas to bite in better than the steel / tin gasket

I should add , it's a 655 head .. getting the intake manifold port floor down even with the floor of the port in the head isn't really that important

with this head , close to the floor in the head , is good enough

- because , granted the floor is stupid low from a design point of view but the scuttlebutt is because it's a big hole it works with lots of boost

and a very small step from smaller to larger as the intake and head join will not hurt

port the head a little bigger than the intake and the header a little bigger than the exhaust in the head

smaller to larger - always , not a dead on match

so if you port the head out to the gasket , you don't go all the way to the gasket on the intake

and this will help prevent having a small steped edge at the head where part of the head is exposed to the intake air coming in .. this is what you want to avoid , a sharp edge that cuts into the airflow

a sharp edge the air flow falls of of , isn't the same issue

porting , close counts
to far counts you out
nvysion and CatchaCuda like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page