What am I missing? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-13-2016, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: 84 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.2L
Induct: S/C
1/4: 0.000

What am I missing?

My 84 Rampage only has plastic covers for the windshield wiper motor and fresh air plenum below the cowl. The air vents on the left and right sides of the dash are wide open by the hood hinges. You can see straight through them.

Are there some plastic ducts that would connect the vents to the blower and fresh air return? BTW, this model came stock without A/C.

Below is a link to high resolution photos where you can zoom in and see what I'm talking about.

https://goo.gl/photos/TfasmmEKrWu1Cob1A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-14-2016, 04:31 AM
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Engine: 2.2
Induct: N/A
1/4: 17.200

Re: What am I missing?

Nope, you're not missing anything. That's the way the non-A/C L-body's were built. Should be a lever on the vent inside for controlling air flow through those vents, but that's the way they were built...

Right above the gas pedal, there should be a vent lever for letting fresh air in through the heater box as well.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-14-2016, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

Thanks @83scamp for letting me know. What a creative way to offer economy, all natural engine heat year-round. Sure can appreciate that right about now as summer is finally kicking in down here in Texas 😅. Guess Ill need to work on plugging those holes in the back.

Was starting to size up my replacement climate control unit since it was missing when I got the Rampage. Only has the blower switch hanging loose (but it works!). Since it's a non AC pushbutton controler, what would be the best way to hook it up so it can work with the rest of the vents (defrost, middle console & floor)? I've located the cable that controls the door to the heater core right where you said it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-14-2016, 09:11 PM
Level 1 Supporter

The non-A/C cars used cables to control both the heat door, and mode door. There should be two of them running through the steering column support on the firewall from the control head on the left, to the heater box in the center of the dash.

The fresh air lever should be mounted to the bottom of the dash with a rod going into the heater box. If your heater box was missing, then that probably was too.

As far as the dash vents, there should be a rubber seal on the firewall that seals to the hood to keep the cowl vent on the hood separate from the engine bay. In theory those dash vents should be blowing in high pressure outside air from the cowl area. It shouldn't be hot engine air. That is in theory...

My Scamp was a non-A/C vehicle from the factory that had dealer installed air when I purchased it. They sealed those two holes with plastic covers when they installed the A/C. I've since pulled all the A/C off, but left the vents blocked. It didn't work, due to a stray rock going through the condenser, and you just can't get parts for dealer air...

83 Scamp GT COTM APRIL '14
89 Daytona ES turbo, Daily driver
post #5 of 17 Old 06-14-2016, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

I've got the rubber seal on top of the break between the firewall and the lower cowl area. The supercharger just makes the engine run hotter to begin with. That and the cowl scoop doesn't really allow normal temp air to pass through those vents.

Great info for the controls. There isn't any lever on the bottom of the dash for the fresh air plenum. But there again, I've got a squirrel's nest for wiring under there. I can move the fresh air plenum door by hand, so if I can locate the rod, then I'm two for two. Can lay my hands on the cable running to the heater box plenum and open and close it by pulling and pushing the cable. Now I'm questioning the climate controls I got off eBay as a replacement. I saw pics that showed pushbutton climate controls on some Rampage's. I got one that has all the buttons, except the AC. Only one lever from cool to warm at the top. Buttons for OFF, VENT, HEAT, MIX & DEFROST below that. Connectors for vacuum hoses behind the faceplate at the back of the pushbuttons. Are there any vacuum hoses on a non-AC Rampage? I may have gotten the wrong one.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-15-2016, 04:24 AM
Level 1 Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwest View Post
I've got the rubber seal on top of the break between the firewall and the lower cowl area. The supercharger just makes the engine run hotter to begin with. That and the cowl scoop doesn't really allow normal temp air to pass through those vents.

Great info for the controls. There isn't any lever on the bottom of the dash for the fresh air plenum. But there again, I've got a squirrel's nest for wiring under there. I can move the fresh air plenum door by hand, so if I can locate the rod, then I'm two for two. Can lay my hands on the cable running to the heater box plenum and open and close it by pulling and pushing the cable. Now I'm questioning the climate controls I got off eBay as a replacement. I saw pics that showed pushbutton climate controls on some Rampage's. I got one that has all the buttons, except the AC. Only one lever from cool to warm at the top. Buttons for OFF, VENT, HEAT, MIX & DEFROST below that. Connectors for vacuum hoses behind the faceplate at the back of the pushbuttons. Are there any vacuum hoses on a non-AC Rampage? I may have gotten the wrong one.

Unfortunately, it's the wrong one. On non-A/C L-body's, there are just two slide levers. One for temp, and one for off/heat/defrost. There should be two cables, the one with red flags is the temp door control, the one with yellow flags is the mode door cable. The non-A/C cars don't use any vacuum lines for control.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-15-2016, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

Is this what you're talking about (see #1)?

1984 Dodge Rampage controls, heater - MoparPartsGiant.com
post #8 of 17 Old 06-15-2016, 11:23 PM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: glhs 248

Question Re: What am I missing?

Quote:

Yah not shure what he is talking about #1 is the face plate ,or the body of the heater control in the diagram .....think he is talking about the controls that attach to it clip on with the cables.

Note ...their is a custom e-vent control for the L-bodies fresh air vents with flappers in them that a cable controls them...its a intermediate part between dash and the COWL it connects to HEATER BOX ....it then connects to the heater controls on the dash mech. controls.

mike0007 TD!
post #9 of 17 Old 06-16-2016, 04:14 AM
Level 1 Supporter

Quote:

Yes, the one in the lower left is the L-body version. Just two slide levers & the fan switch.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-16-2016, 05:11 AM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: glhs 248

Cool Re: What am I missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
Yes, the one in the lower left is the L-body version. Just two slide levers & the fan switch.
Ok well this should clarify it for him now !!!!!
Its the diagram for L-bodies he should be
looking at with the two cables on it then !

mike0007 TD!
post #11 of 17 Old 07-13-2016, 11:35 PM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1984 Rampage 2.2

@Wildwest

An AC conversion to factory is not impossible but does involve some parts. You could see if there was a Dodge Omni / Charger / Shelby Charger or Plymouth Horizon / Turismo / Duster in a junkyard with AC. While below is not a complete list you should try to get the following:

1. Control head (lower left dash)
2. Heater and AC box under the right side of the dash including blower motor
3. Vacuum manifold under dash
4. New center console
5. All vent ducting behind the dash (you may just want to grab the complete dash)
6. Passenger compartment harness
7. Dryer
8. Condenser
9. Compressor
10. Compressor bracket

Have I missed anything guys?

You will have to cut an air inlet hole on the right side and weld a ridge around the hole to ensure that water doesn't leak in

You will also need to plug the vents.

This is just a thought in case you want to do all this.

Steven
post #12 of 17 Old 07-15-2016, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

@Rampaging84 , I'm not converting to A\C. Good info though if someone wants to do it. I don't want the drag on the engine and it takes up too much room. It was about determining the correct climate controls that's missing in mine.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-25-2016, 10:03 PM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1984 Rampage 2.2

@Wildwest

Cool - Then if that's the case I have one that did not have AC and @83 Scamp is right. That panel has two sliders and if I remember correctly the center console vents have a lever on the side that opens and closes as well. If you have that console vent setup you're fine. Also if I remember correctly the left hand and right hand vents also have a manual open and close lever on them.

The one I just got is an AC car.

Also, as I've discovered you'd better buy spare parts for it and stock them if you can. I've had problems finding a set of rear shocks for example, and it seems that other parts are also unavailable.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-26-2016, 10:18 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 83 Scamp
Engine: 2.2 w/ a carb
1/4: 21.500

I am going to try 2 of the fresh air intake scoops meant for the Jeep wranglers and CJs over the cowl vents. Going to face them rearward first to see how that works.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-26-2016, 10:19 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 83 Scamp
Engine: 2.2 w/ a carb
1/4: 21.500

I was told Dodge dynasty shocks work as long you swap out the bushings in them. Got a pair to try on mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page