Dodge Daytona oil light on - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-08-2016, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

Dodge Daytona oil light on

Good morning. I recently rebuilt a 2.2 turbo motor for my daytona and the new motor has around 150 miles on it. This morning coming into work the engine ran really hot on the guage and getting off the freeway the oil pressure guage dropped to nothing and the low oil light came on. Got it to work which was a mile from where this happened. On the way the oil guage showed pressure back giving it gas but then dropped back to nothing when in idle and the oil light stayed on. The motor was still hot having the over flow tank for the radiator spew over. So I gave it an hour to cool. When started again this time oil guage has pressure at idle and motor cooled. What could be the problem here? Any help would be appreciated. FYI I put in an aluminum honda civic radiator in place of the factory becuase there was a major hole in the factory one which was the one integrated with the intercooler. I suspect thats my overheating issue problem. Thanks for the help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-08-2016, 08:57 AM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.5
Induct: Turbo

Garage
Re: Dodge Daytona oil light on

The oil pressure senders are flakey. If it came back up to proper pressure when you give it throttle, it's probably the sender. But, just to be safe, get a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it and verify. You should have 60-70 psi at cold idle. It'll drop to maybe 15 at hot idle. You want a minimum of 10 psi per 1000 RPMs. Worn engines can run as low as 5 psi when the oil is really hot, but yours should do better than that if it was rebuilt correctly.

As for the overheat, did you bleed the system correctly? Small bleed hole in the thermostat to prevent trapped air? Verify your fan is coming on too.

-Brian

90 Daytona Shelby
96 Jeep XJ
post #3 of 6 Old 08-08-2016, 09:22 AM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: little mopars
Engine: 2.0 T (DSM), 2 x 2.5 TBI, 2.2 T1, 2.2 T2, 5.2 Mag

Fix the overheating 1st. If the engine was real hot and you used a lighter weight of oil, it could have just been really thin from being so hot. I would want to verify the oil pressure with a reliable mechanical guage though, fully warmed up. Check for dust and dirt between radiator and condensor. Poor airflow is the most likely cause of overheating at freeway speeds although it could be something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-08-2016, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Thamks for the reply. I do have the air out of the system which I did put the hole in the thermostate and put the hole up top and then bled it out. The fan does operate on when the temp comes to the point of half way. I think it may be the fan not pulling enough cfm. The fan is a 14" thin aftermarket that basically zip ties to the radiator. It is sucking the air the right way also. The factory fan was a much better but i couldnt get it to fit back into the location so I used this aftermarket one I had lying around. I will try to modify the factory fan to get it to fit back in and see if it makes a difference. Or maybe go back to a stock radiator thats not the one integrated with the intercooler and just relocate the intercooler.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-08-2016, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

The other thing i should have mentioned is I am running sae 30 engine break in oil in this since its new. Thats probably a good part of why the pressure gets low when hot.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-08-2016, 07:56 PM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

Oil light will not illuminate until oil pressure drops to 4 PSI.
As already stated connect a mechanical gauge and verify oil pressure is correct.
Running a straight 30 weight oil will cause oil pressure to stay higher when hot not go lower.

DRAIN AND REFILL 2.2L/2.5L COOLING SYSTEM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page